Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Trans-Alp bikepacking – Austria, Italy, other areas of Europe outside France
  • jameso

After riding the Geneva-Nice GR5 based route I’m itching to plan another. I’ve not ridden in Austria or Italy so has anyone got any experience of riding through-routes there? Maybe the Bavarian Alps? Looking for techy stuff as well as dirt-roads, 7-12 days worth of mixed terrain with room for exploration. I’m happy to figure out the details, just after some recommendations for great riding areas with changing landscapes, accessable via air / rail.

(a few pics from the GR5 here for anyone needed inspiration to try a must-do route that has to be the most memorable ride I’ve done so far GR5 / TMB / VTT piste route pics)

alpin
    Free Member

when you say tech, do you mean tech or more interesting than fireroads?

there are a few (europäische fernwanderwege) cutting through Bavarian, Austrian and Italian alps. as far as i know there aren’t any rules preventing you from riding them.

there is the Maximilainsweg (path number E4) which runs through Bavaria. starting in Lindau on the shores of mainland suropes largest lake (Bodensee) in the south-west ending in Berchtesgaden on the shores of Bavaria’s prettiest alpine lake in the south-east.

it takes in pretty much all of Bavaria’s alpine highlights including the “disney castle”, various picturesque lakes and breweries (Meckatzer, Tegernseer!!!). it’s about 350km long so should keep you happy for a week or so.

i’ve ridden sections of it and it is a well marked path with a few variations meaning you can ride your bike up on a fireroad rather than carrying it up a steep trail. not all sections are ideal for riding, but looking at your GR pics you are obviously not averse to a bit of adventure.

it’s something i’ve been wanting to do for a year or now now but haven’t had the time to kick it into action.

expect lots of short (1000hm) sharp climbs with lots of techy descending.

HTH

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m not very clued up on those areas, so forgive me if the following link is way off the mark. Even if it’s no good, there’s still some useful info on there and stuff that’s well worth looking at.
    gletschersau.de.

gairym
    Free Member

I did a bikepacking trip which followed the Albrecht transalp route in July.

It’s a nice little route!

It goes from Garmisch in Germany, through Austria and Switzerland before finishing at Lake Garda in Italy.

If you’d like any info then just let me know.

You can also take a look at a video I made of the trip here.

Or…..read all about it on my blog here.

I can also recommend Andreas’ site (gletschersau.de) as his routes are hardcore (see his videos) and he’s a very friendly and helpful fella!

Gairy.

jameso

Ta for the tips.. Alpin, I’ll be at Bodensee next week for Eurobike so will look up some info – could be a good one for next year. Gairy, I saw your write up the other day and just flicked through your blog – good work, looks like a great ride. gletschersau.de is a good site too, thanks. Food for thought / stoke for the fire!

ChrisE
    Free Member

Hi James,

Your pics look fantastic. I don’t know why so many other Brits don’t make these TransAlp trips each year. Tens of thousands of German/Swiss/Austrian/Etc MTBers do trips every summer.

Drop me a line if you want details, maps etc of the JoeRoute (Obertsdorf to Garda). It’s 6 days and well worth it as it’s virtually 100% ridable. You will though meet many of those German/Swiss/Austrian/Etc doing it

TTFN

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Trans-Alp bikepacking – Austria, Italy, other areas of Europe outside France’ is closed to new replies.