Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tranistion scout sizing
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Currently looking at one of these but not sure if to go with a small or med (I’m about 5.5)
    Transition puts me in small but the tt is smaller than my current lt blur which has a perfect reach for me (with 50mm stem)

Anyone else sized up on after demoing or buying

RickDraper
    Free Member

How is the reach?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Looks like a small scout has the same reach (16″) as a large blur.
    So the reach is an inch longer but the ETT is over half an inch smaller.
    Med scouts reach is 2″ longer than the blur and a slightly longer ETT so may be to big??

Struggling to find a built up small bike to try anywhere (as per normal).

darrenspink
    Free Member

Ett is dependent on seat tube angle, you might find that the scout has a sharper angle than the blur to help with climbing.
    Sizing also depends on what you ride, for example if you ride long flat out trails you might want to go larger if you’re in the middle of the size chart. Tight twisty trails and it could be better going smaller.

If you also planning on obtaining a 150mm dropper you more likely to benefit from it on a smaller frame.

helpful1
    Free Member

Forget ETT and reach. ETT never really gave a comparable measurement between different bikes and reach is another stupid vitual measurement you simply can’t easily replicate against 2 different frames/bikes with a measuring tape so folk just blindly trust manufacturers listings.
    Measure your Blur’s downtube length. (the distance from the centre of your BB shell to the centre of the lower headset cup) and you’ll have an easily comparable measurement.
    on a Medium Scout this = 27.25″ and an inch shorter for the small.

chiefgrooveguru

Reach is just the horizontal component of downtube length minus a small chunk due to headtube layback.

helpful1
    Free Member

Thanks for your genius input. Now try measuring “reach” accurately and quickly on a built up bike or a frame on your own. 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There’s this wonderful thing called Google. If you put your bike brand and frame name in with the word geometry and reach, chances are the information is out there.

Measuring the length of the downtube? Really? 🙄

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Helpfuls downtube length on the blur is 25.5″ so if that’s anything to go by small looks better.

Anyone on a small frame out there?

helpful1
    Free Member

Taking it as a given that you’ve already looked at the style of bike, travel and general geometry/riding traits are what you’re after. The important dimension when sizing a bicycle primarily designed to be ridden at it’s best when the rider is standing is the correlation between the BB position and the steering axis.
    If you want to put your trust in google and manufacturers listings of the virtual measurement “Reach” that’s entirely your choice. I can assure you not all bicycle frame geometry charts are accurate. Really! 😉

James. Fashion will dictate that you’ll be advised to go longer these days. because ENDURO. 🙄
    Personally I found the medium far too long for me and I’m 6″ taller than you.
    Test ride both sizes if you can but I’m 100% sure a medium would be far too long for you.

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re going to measure downtube length, then you might as well measure the important dimension which is actually centre of BB to centre of top of headtube, not bottom of headtube. This dimension is the hypoteneuse of the right angle triangle created by reach and stack. That measurement on a small Scout is 28.3″

helpful1
    Free Member

Wrong.

Plenty frames increase head tube lengths throughout their size range.

I’ve measured frames by Downtube for 2 decades. I’m not about to stop just because the industry decided on another new shitey “standard”.

remember this is the same industry that used to list frame size by top-tube, and before that seat tube.

helpful1
    Free Member

did you measure that? 😆

noahhowes
    Free Member

They’re relatively low and low bikes. By low I mean seat tube as well as BB. I’m 178cm (about 5’10”) and ride a large comfortably with a 6 inch dropper. You’re in between sizes so can pick either. Do you like longer more stable bikes or shorter twitchy ones? My large Scout is as playful a bike as I’ve ever ridden despite the length, possibly due to the super short seat stays in part.

beer247
    Free Member

6ft 2 and riding a large Scout with 50mm stem here.

Sometimes i think that i should have gone for the XL (as i’m also inbetween sizes) with a 35/40mm stem but as it stands the large feels good.

I thought that you took ETT into account for when your seated and reach into account for when your stood in the attack position?!

No chance of a test ride anywhere?

cymohndee
    Free Member

A test ride would be ideal. I’m 5’8″ and on a medium Scout with a 50mm stem. The other factor to consider here is the steep seat angle, it puts you in the middle of the bike when seated and stops the long, slack-ish front from getting too light. Its very stable and cleverly balanced. If you do go for a medium with a shorter than 50mm stem, you aren’t going to have an arm stretching disaster in my opinion.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Ok so I’ve now tested size on a med patrol which has the same geo as the scout.
    And it felt almost identical to my blur.
    Considering the bike had a 60mm stem (so I could shorten it anyjow if really needed)
    I’m 100% (sorry helpful) that the small would be to short for me.

Glad I had oppertunity to test though, numbers don’t always show you the way.

Many thanks to the guys at tamed earth bikes for their help, really nice shop with very knowledgeable staff.

helpful1
    Free Member

You can’t argue with fashion.

Glad you’re sorted. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tranistion scout sizing’ is closed to new replies.