Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trance fork travel
  • wheeliegood
    Free Member

To cut a long story short. I recently found a crack in my Anthem x4 (2010). Still covered by Giant warranty, so no problem, until I found out there is no replacement frame until December.
    Giant have offered me two alternatives.
    Either a 2014 anthem x1 which is 27.5. Cant see there being much difference. Anyone ran 26in wheels on 27.5 frame?
    or
    2013 Trance X1. My 100mm fork is compatible seemingly, but I dont think its in keeping with the rest of the bike and going to obviously change the angles too much.

I want to go for the trance, so i’m looking into forks for the bike. The trance came with adjustable travel forks. These look way out my budget. I’m going to consider second hand. Any opinions on travel length to go for. Any Trance owners what to share their thoughts.

thepodge
    Free Member

140/150 works well on a trance

thegman67

I run 140mm on mine

thepodge
    Free Member

Actually wheeliegood, could you email me please? Podge1000@hotmail.com

Thanks

Mike-E

I use 140 mm Pikes on mine.

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve had 130, 140 and 150mm forks on mine.

130 is nippy, handling-wise. Great in woodland singletrack etc. BB a bit low, so not ideal for rocky stuff as you keep whacking the pedals.

150 makes it unstoppable through rocks, it just ploughs over anything. Picks up speed like nothing else. Bit wooly on tight singletrack as you’d expect.

wheeliegood
    Free Member

Retro83, did you think 140 was a good compromise between handling and hitting the heavy stuff, or would you recommend picking either 130 or 150 depending on what I want the bike to do? cheers

retro83
    Free Member

wheeliegood – Member

Retro83, did you think 140 was a good compromise between handling and hitting the heavy stuff, or would you recommend picking either 130 or 150 depending on what I want the bike to do? cheers

Yeah 140 was just in the middle really, perfectly fine, but i preferred it at 130/150. The best thing is a dual air 150mm Revelation which can be spacer’d down to 140 or 130.
    I decided I like it best at 150 for the type of riding i do mostly now, so I’ve sold my Revs and put in coil Sektors.

jonnyboi

You might want to check with giant or your LBS as anything over 140mm may well invalidate your warranty.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I have 150mm Revs on mine – had 130 & 140mm on before and much prefer the 150’s. The front end is a little high and can get a little twitchy on steep climbs, but nothing a quick shift of weight can’t over come.

backtothetop
    Free Member

140mm float on mine paired with an rp23 makes for an excellent setup. have cracked one frame since i got it 2 years ago and giant replaced it straight away. if anyones interested i have a unused giant air-r(as fitted to x4)sitting in my spares box for sale.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trance fork travel’ is closed to new replies.