Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trance 29ers, any good?
  • granny_ring

Anyone got or used one of these for a while? Just wondered what the strengths/weaknesses are and how reliable they are over time.
    Does the sloping seatpost make the sizing more tricky?
    Anything need changing from new?
    TIA

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well according to Giant they are shit and will not sell them anymore.

See thread re 650b marketing above!

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’ve had an X0 since March and I really enjoy riding it. I’ve still got my previous 26″ susser, but I’ve only ridden at races since. I’m 5’7″ which is considered the lower limit on a medium, but I also have a long back so I haven’t needed to change anything beyond flipping the stem. There was definitely an adjustment phase, I crashed the first few times out and considered changing the tyres and chopping the bars, but I persevered and now it’s my 26″ that feels all diddly small and wrong. I don’t experience any problems with climbing like the journos commented having changed to shorter stems. I’m trying to progress my riding a bit currently on all the new trails they’ve built near me so I’m dropping and flying a bit more these days and the bike feels good. With 650b available now and currently being pushed I’d demo both. I did demo a carbon Anthem too but I didn’t like the handling at all, whereas the Trance felt almost 26″ like to me.

blades2000
    Free Member

I have a Trance 29er 0, I’m 6’2″ and ride a Large. I race it as my Cross Country bike and find it to be a lot of fun. If I was buying one now I would definitely want to demo a 27.5 bike to see if it is more suitable for my local trails, I don’t think it would be for me but that is more because a lot of trails here seem to flow really well with a 29er.
    FYI I work at a shop that sells Giant, hence the reason I got the bike.

Anyone got or used one of these for a while? Just wondered what the strengths/weaknesses are and how reliable they are over time.

As a full suspension bike (similar to all others) maintenance needs to be kept on top of, checking pivots and following suspension maintenance procedures to get the best from them. We have not see any come back through the shop for warranty issues.

Does the sloping seatpost make the sizing more tricky?

Not really, though if you do a lot of climbing you may want a shorter stem.

Anything need changing from new?

First bike I have owned that I have not changed anything, I even like the saddle. Once you get used to the dropper post you will wonder how you ride without one.

Hope this helps
    Nick

andyv
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trance 29er X1.

Had it for a very active 6 months and am very happy with it, no technical problems or weakness so far. Used for countless local Somerset rides, lots of south Wales trail centres and a week downhilling in the Alps. I have a medium and am 5’10 with short legs.

Things changed are:

1. The tyres for a set of fat Hans Dampfs (for the Alps and have sbsequently left them on).
    2. I’ve gone tubeless, which felt weird at first as the tyres don’t seem to ‘click’ into the rims but it is not problem and they stay up good.
    3. Removed the Elixir 5 brakes and put on some formula RX’s I got from Merlin for a bargain. There was no problem with the Elixirs but the Formulas are much better.
    3. I ran the brake hoses through the frame as I believe they are designed to do, but they don’t do out of the factory/shop.

Cheers
    Andy

neil29679
    Free Member

Been on a x1 for several months, I’m 6ft and ride a large. Tested the medium but was deffo too small. Very impressed with all-around performanc. Very stable at speed and confidence inspiring front end. It is pretty agile for a big wheeler and climbs better that my xc hardtail. I’ve replaced the 90mm stem for a 70, which is an improvement imo. If it’s an od2 fork like mine, you can pick up a direct stock replacement fir about 20 quid. I also changed bars although not necessary. I changed the n nic upfront as it was too washy for most UK weather. I’ve had to replace the cable on the dropper, bit no big deal. I’ve ridden all sorts of trails, from natural mountain to trail centre and technical xc.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I’ve also got an X1.
    I’m 6’1 and got the large frame. My mate who is 5’12 got the medium X2 and I have to say the difference is massive. His feels so much lighter and agile. So all I’d say is if you are on the cusp of the sizing then give some serious thought to getting the smaller frame.
    Apart from that… great bike!
    Giant swapped the brakes for me when I bought it – Elixir 5s for Shimano SLX brakes. Not sure if there is much of a difference but if you believe all the reviews then apparently there is.

wonnyj
    Free Member

My mate has got one. I was surprised at how nice it is. Probably the only Giant that I’ve ever wanted.

Kryton57

You may want to watch this, or at least the first few minutes:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/toe-curling-650b-marketing-guff

😉

granny_ring

Cheers food for thought. If I go for one it’ll be the cheap model and change some of the parts over.
    Not sure on a S or M. 5’8″, long legs short body.

Clink

Frames only £729 @ JE James

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve got the X0 and love it …..I’m 6 feet 2 and ride large….previously had an anthem 26 and 29, both were great bikes with no maintenance issues ( apart from Avid s….t brakes which Avid sorted with some aplomb )…..after riding the more relaxed Trance I’ll never go back to the pure XC geometry of the Anthem (I did OTB a fair bit)….. I’m only buying a Tallboy this year because there is no new carbon Trance 29er…..peeved me off a bit, manufacturers are so fickle!!!!

Great deals at the moment on the Trance 2013, my advice…..snap em up and ride em!!!!!

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Beyond feeling right I went for the medium for the length in case I experienced the light front some reviews referred to. It also leaves me the choice to go for a shorter stem as seems de riguer while still hopefully avoiding that issue. I’m sure small would have been great in its way, and might fit your body type better since your saddle will be higher than mine and probably extend the reach. You could easily have totally different preferences, style, and experience to me though. I had to hunt around for my model as they sold out and the shop suggested medium without a moments hesitation despite only 2 being left in the state, whereas suggesting a small would have been slightly easier.

Sanny
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/giant-trance-x-29er-1-long-termer/

My thoughts here!

3rd review coming up soon. In brief, drivetrain now worn out, bearings need replaced, swapped from Sram X9 to Deore – brakes are a significant improvement, dropper post still works but has developed slop, rear tyre is properly baldy – in short, the bike has had a lot of use.

Do I still rate it? Hell, yeah!

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Love mine. Had a couple of months now. Bought frame only from JE James for £729. X-fusion Trace fork fitted and hope hoops, everything else came of my Orange Five which it replaced. Climbs much better than the Orange, and feels just as fast on the descents. Gained a couple of Starva KOMs on some descents I couldn’t gain on the orange. Been running Ardents on it, but fitted a Hans Dampf to the front tonight after soMe sketchy moments in the mud last night.

Highly recommended, who’s gives a hoot if Giant aren’t doing 29ers anymore

granny_ring

Would it work out cheaper to buy the basic trance and sell off the bits not wanted or get the frame deal…..I’ll have to work out some figures I think.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trance 29ers, any good?’ is closed to new replies.