Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • trains to wales from london. where's the nearest main staion to snowdonia coast?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

if you wanted to do this journey from london to snowdonia coast around cardigan bay where is the main station the trains run into for a fast direct service? it doesnt need to be all the way to a local staion, just 90% of the journey and then car for the last local bit. i tried the rail webpages but unless you are specific with destination it doesnt say.

molgrips
    Free Member

A few options. We used to get the train to Bangor – a proper fast regular train. But for Cardigan Bay, you've got the line that goes to Machynlleth, and the tiny local line that goes round to Barmouth and Pwllheli. None of which are main line. The Aberystwyth one is a bit more 'main' but still not great.

Why would you be getting the train and then car? Hiring? If you tell us specifically what you're gonna do and what options you have you'll probably get better advice 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

want to go on holiday to cardigan bay area but some one may want to come home eariler. so id drop them at a station and then train them to london.( quickly and simply, id hope)

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, that makes sense. 5 hours min from Barmouth to London Euston tho, and only a few trains a day although only one change. Shouldn't be too bad tho for a one off I'd have thought.

Cardigan bay is not noted for its accessibility by public transport. Where specifically are you staying?

odannyboy
    Free Member

near barmouth. are you local to there molgrips?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, fraid not, but I do live in Wales 🙂

There's a bus that goes North to South in Wales, you could get your friend to that then they could go to Cardiff and be in London in 2 hours.

http://www.coachtravelwales.co.uk/ is one although it's the shittest website I have EVER seen!

konagirl
    Free Member

As Molgrips said, the line along the north coast is fast (connects to the Holyhead-Dublin ferry), so either have a day out and drop him off at Bangor or Conwy (between 3 and 4 hours to London depending if you get the direct service or not); or drop him off at Machynlleth (about 4:15 to London via Birmingham). However, if he will be travelling on a weekend, I would make sure you check for planned engineering work. That would decide which route he takes.

Tiger6791

Do the train Aberdyfi to London a bit.

drop him off at Machynlleth

is the correct answer

Or Shrewsbury, or be nice and take them to BNS or Crewe

A fast and frequent train service it is not

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep.. it's not like there's nothing to do between Barmouth and Bangor. It's one of those journeys that's still a joy if you don't even get out of your car 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘trains to wales from london. where's the nearest main staion to snowdonia coast?’ is closed to new replies.