• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mrpaul.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trains – EDI to London and back – late August – none?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

So following on from this thread

Riding near Edinburgh (Peebles/Inners/?) for a 9 year old

We’re also planning on visiting Sweamrs and her parents near London. The train seems the logical choice but as of right now looking on the Trainline I can’t see any availability and they keep on suggesting coaches instead which I find surprising. I’m in Canada and so am hoping it’s something obvious (like schedule not yet released) as opposed to no actual trains running……

Help from someone closer much appreciated….

TomB

Generally released 3 months in advance, except for things like Eurostar. Not surprised that tickets aren’t available yet, unfortunately that’s how it is.

wooobob

Or even two months 😬

poolman
    Free Member

Set an alert up u get notification. Buy direct from operator u don’t pay a fee.

scotroutes

Weird. I was looking at trains for April earlier today. Scotrail, West Coast, not London.

Edit: ah yes – 3 months only.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Good to know. So from a planning perspective (lining up aged parents etc) can we optimistically assume that the general timetable will be the same????

mrhoppy

It’s a major mainline service there should be multiple services an hour, they might not be exactly the same but much of a muchness.

keithb

I believe trains operate summer and winter timetables. Hence why a few years ago there was massive upheaval when the launched a new timetable, designed on a new system, and it didn’t work.

In general though, there’s not that much difference, but extra trains go to seaside resorts.

stwhannah

The current rail strikes mean that some tickets aren’t being released until 4 weeks in advance! If you’re travelling with a child, see if you can get a family rail card – it saves a decent amount on adult tickets when you travel with a child. Personally I avoid the Trainline like the plague, booking direct is better, at least from inside the UK. Most operators have an app you can download to get tickets easily.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Good to know on booking direct. It’s early days and we’re trying to sort out what the rough plan is (days here, days there etc) as opposed to actual tickets so I was hoping trainline would give the full set of options.

squirrelking
    Free Member

National Rail are best and IIRC will point you towards the cheapest ticket options anyway (barring split tickets).

theotherjonv

Do Google split ticketing, can save considerably if you are prepared to have some minimal hassle

prettygreenparrot

Generally released 3 months in advance, except for things like Eurostar.

Or even the week before as I found out late last year when booking tickets for the manchester to London route.

OP, turn up, you’ll be able to get a ticket unless the country is closed for business, there’s a strike, or the wrong kind of weather is affecting the lines.

Compared with the price of some rail tickets and the convenience of journeying a taxi can be a surprise bargain. But that just brings back bad memories of being let down, repeatedly, by BA.

honeybadgerx

Just look to book direct through LNER, and whilst you might not be able to book as far in advance as you’d like, you should still be able to get 1st class tickets at or around the same price as standard (as long as you avoid some of the standard commuter/business times).

matt_outandabout

^ I book direct with LNER, its a journey I do every 6-8 weeks or so. The faster trains London to Edinburgh will be the same timetable year around.

poolman
    Free Member

I always book direct with operator and pre-register for delay repay, you then get compensated automatically for any delay.

Appreciate strikes are on, but my recent trips to Edinburgh and London were either cancelled or delayed.

If planning a trip with children I would leave a fair degree of delay time. If u buy a through ticket with changes, it doesn’t matter as if delayed you can carry on as normal.

Sometimes first class is cheaper than standard.

rjmccann101

One of the few remaining sleeper services in the UK operates between Edinburgh and London, https://www.sleeper.scot/

scuttler

LNER app auto delay repay = the nuts.

@OP search up dates and times for 10 weeks out to get an idea of cost for the cheaper/est advance purchase tickets. Then set a notification and calendar event for your actual dates and as first-in, enjoy a bargain!!

hels
    Free Member

The trains tend to be super busy in August because of the Festivals and European Tourists (who due to the shite pound can afford Edinburgh), and will be even more so this year with all the Cycling World Champs events in Scotland.

tractionman

I have yet to try the sleeper, have always wanted to–I see they do allow booking up to 12 months in advance:

“Caledonian Sleeper Tickets

These rail tickets are only valid for travel on the Caledonian Sleeper and include a reservation for your chosen type of accommodation.

You can buy these tickets up to 12 months before you travel from this website or from our Guest Service Centre.”

https://www.sleeper.scot/tickets/

so that might help the OP if dates and times need to be pinned down a bit?

some August ticket options on the sleeper already sold out!

cheers,

Keith

mrpaul
    Free Member

Booking direct saves the fee from Trainline but I think the operators only let you pay with a UK card.

Friends and family railcard is definitely worth it, you’ll save much more than the cost with the journeys you have planned. You need a UK address but can use your parents for that, the railcard is just on your phone.

All the info you need is here:

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-britain.htm

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.