Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Training wheels or training bike?
  • drotos
    Free Member

I have two options:
    – buy/build a pair of wheels for training (and ride my Whippet)
    – rebuild my Marin Team Issue from the ’90s and use this bike for training, and my Whippet for racing

What do You suggest? What’s the better choice?

cynic-al
    Free Member

why do you want separate wheels/bike for training?

Kryton57

Ride the bike you intend to race, so you’re comfy, familiar and used to it / any nuances etc. Takes a few things off your mind come race day…

drotos
    Free Member

I’d like separate wheels, or bike because I’d wear out my racing kit fast, too fast. I mean, the Racing Ralphs, the lightweight wheelset, chain, etc. So I’m thinking about building a wheelset (&cassette, tyres, chain) or use my older bike for training. Obviously I’d ride my racing machine 2-3days before the event. What do You think?

cynic-al
    Free Member

if it’s wear you are worried about, the transmission takes the worst, so it’s got to be a whole bike.

Or you could just ride the race bike, use cheaper transmission etc, and look after it more (it will be **** all slower, despite what they tell you)

If you are serious about racing, you need a road bike anyway.

drotos
    Free Member

I have a road bike, too… and I ride that much. Too much. I think I need to ride MTB, not only racing. 8)

hmanchester
    Free Member

Whole bike. Wear is going to be on the drive train as much as your fancy wheels. Just put solid basic kit on there and train away.

Also, It might be the odd % slower but the training effect will be the same.

drotos
    Free Member

The Marin Team Issue has GT forks with 390-400 A-C length. The Whippet has 100mm Reba WC. The difference will be significant. Or I’ll be better on the Whippet if I train on the Marin? 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Another Whippet, same contact points, cheaper fork/wheels/transmission.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How does having 2 similar bikes, one with cheaper bits. work out as cheaper to run than one?

Keep kidding yourselves guys…

hmanchester
    Free Member

Depends how expensive the expensive bits are, how cheap the cheap bits are, and how much you can ride your bike.

Someone like CA clearly rides their bike nowhere near enough for the equation to come out cheaper, your situation may well be different.

drotos
    Free Member

Running the Marin with V-brakes and older 3×7/8 drivetrain would be cheaper, than the new XT/XTR/XO/XX bits.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Training wheels or training bike?’ is closed to new replies.