• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Training to become a dog training instructor … anyone?
  • Aus
    Free Member

At a point when a career change option is possibly doable.  Looking into dog (& dog-owner) training.  Have previously done a fair bit on dog nutrition, and a little bit on dog pyscology.  And have had spaniels for the last 20+ years.

Looking at Instructor courses … there’s lots ranging from online tutorial to more practical.  Accreditation I think is important.  Anyone have any experience of good Vs bad, and where to look?  And any other tips.

Cheers

perchypanther
    Free Member

I failed at dog training school for a reason I can’t recall.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I looked into it a little bit recently – there seems to be no “industry standard” qualification.  I paid (a small amount) for one course from Academy of Dog Training and Behaviour, but was un-impressed by the way about half of the module was taken up by quoting someone else who is against vaccinations.  Not what I was looking for.

I can only suggest if you know any dog trainers, see which qualifications they have.

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks Lady G … that’s what I’m finding, lots of offerings, some seem rather flimsy and struggling to find an ‘industry standard’ or similar

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

There’s not really an industry standard, it’s not a regulated industry and things are a bit complicated….

The ABTC is described as being the regulatory body, but to the best of my knowledge, it’s self regulated (and so there’s nothing to stop anyone setting up as a trainer or calling themselves a behaviourist).

Associated with the ABTC is the APBC. APBC members (behaviourists) are the ones recognised by the insurance firms, there’s a link on the APBC site to accredited courses which can lead to membership, e.g. you could do  a Foundation Degree through Bishop Burton, and follow that up with the full time honours year.

Before you get that far, you might want to consider courses provided by other providers.

The IMDT courses are said to be good, though not cheap (haven’t done any myself).

I did a course with one provider I wasn’t particularly impressed with, and did another course through Canine Principles that I would recommend (Canine Coaching Diploma).

I’d suggest reading up on modern training methods, Classical and Operant Conditioning and the evolution of the dog to start with. A couple of good books (that you’ll end up referencing if you do sign up for a course)…

Excelerated Learning by Pamela J Reid (if you only buy one book, make it this one).

Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson – Excerpt Here.

In Defence of Dogs by John Bradshaw

Dogs: A New Understanding… by Ray Coppinger

Dominance in Dogs by Barry Eaton

Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor

That should do you to start!

Aus
    Free Member

Taylorplayer – much appreciated.  The IMDT seems to get very good reviews, and a few books to add to my reading list! Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Training to become a dog training instructor … anyone?’ is closed to new replies.