Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • "Training" Question
  • woody2000

So, I’ve decided that this year will be the year I actually enter some events, and having signed up for a couple already, I’ve been upping my riding a bit.

I’ve started logging my rides so I can get a feel for what I’m doing. I commute as often as I can (usually 2-3 times a week @ 15 miles each way), and do 1 2.5hr MTB ride and 1 decent (4hr+) road ride. I have a couple of days of no riding usually.

Question is I suppose, am I doing too much? Chart below shows the mileage – it looks like quite a ramp up, but previously I wasn’t logging all rides so there are gaps – I’d say my normal mileage was between 90 – 100 miles a week. I’m aiming to make this 150+ at least.

Am I heading for overtraining if I carry on? I do feel pretty tired, especially first thing.

Sorry for the probably crap question, but I’m pretty clueless TBH 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

It depends on what sort of events you are entering
    If it is long steady events you may be OK
    If not you need to be thinking of quality sessions which includes interval work of varying intensity and recovery periods

zilog6128

Cycling is low impact so increasing your volume doesn’t carry quite the same risk of injury as running or other sports. As long as you feel OK and are recovering sufficiently between rides you should be OK.

The most important thing IMO is to make sure you’re eating enough. If you aren’t doing so already, try to estimate the number of calories you need and ensure you get them. Not doing so is a sure-fire recipe for disaster IMO.

If you’re feeling tired when you commute maybe try slowing the pace right down and use them as “active recovery” rides.

timb34
    Free Member

As well as volume, shouldn’t you also be thinking about intensity? There’s a big difference between pootling along for 15 miles, and going as hard as possible.

I’ve found Joe Friels stuff to be good for both general (overall) principles and day-to-day stuff. like this http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/12/five-fundamentals-of-training.html

woody2000

That Friel link is good, thanks 🙂

The commutes tend to be steadyish on the way in, and more vigourous on the way home and I try to vary the pace/intensity.

I tend to think that the MTB ride takes care of the interval side of things – I live in a pretty steep sided valley, so plenty of shortish steep climbs and recovery.

The longish road rides are the new element really, I would have normally done another MTB ride at the weekend, but one of the events I’ve signed up for is a road challenge, so thought I’d better get used to it!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It depends on what sort of events you are entering

correct, big miles are great if you’re planning on doing 6 hour + events, less so if you’re doing XC over 90 minutes.

As has been said, total miles, and total time spent training are two “old fashioned” ways to measure training, they are useful but not all sessions are equal in intensity.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘"Training" Question’ is closed to new replies.