Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Training on beta-blockers
  • howarthp

I’m on beta-blockers having had my second ablation for atrial fibrillation the end of May. My cardiologist is happy for me to train but has no knowledge when it comes to exercising on beta-blockers. I find that my heart rate maxes out about 20 beats lower than normal and that I’m fine until any gradient comes into the equation – I just hit a wall which I respect and have to slow down.

I can’t find much info online and wondered if anyone else is in a similar position?

grantyboy
    Free Member

I was on beta blockers (propranolol) a few years back for anxiety attacks.  Basically same as you found my max HR was much lower and I fatigued much quicker, it was like bonking but not quite the same.

Once off them things went back to normal

rene59
    Free Member

I tried beta blockers to try and prevent exercise induced migraines which I was getting every time I was doing activities where heart rate was 85% + of maximum. It did slow down my heart rate but felt like it slowed me down with it. Didn’t like it in the end and went back to suffering the migraines instead.

submarined
    Free Member

I was on Propanolol for migraines, and I found that, as well as making me just feel shattered, they also had the nasty side effect of reducing the buzz I got from riding.

I wasn’t getting the adrenaline rush (I think that’s one of the things they do) so I just wasn’t getting the enjoyment out of bombing down trails through the woods. Came off them and I’m back to loving riding. But still suffering migraines :/

howarthp

Thanks all. I’m on bisoprolol. I find it doesn’t really alter performance if I’m pushing hard on the flat or on mild gradients. It’s not making me feel tired generally either. Hopefully I’m coming off it in the next few months assuming my ablation has fixed my AF

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Training on beta-blockers’ is closed to new replies.