Training for Half Marathon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Training for Half Marathon
  • Wife is doing one on May Bank Holiday and whilst she does yoga classes twice a week she does not do any stamina training and has no experience of running further than the bottom of the street. So before she does her self an injury by starting to prepare for it a fortnight before the event, can anybody point me in the direction of any sites where I can build a decent programme for her.
    Thanks

Premier Icon Mattie_H

I’ve used [/url] in the past–good training schedules most (but not all) of which are free if you sign-up to the website. Takes the work of putting together a programme out of your hands.

Anna B

I hope this doesn’t sound un-welcoming, but why a half mara if she doesn’t run? If she wants to start running then that’s great, I get a lot of joy from it and would encourage anyone. I started with 5k, then 10k races, then my first half mara at the end of last year. I do a reasonable amount, and found it really tough – it was v muddy and off road though.

Everyone’s different though, I guess building up slowly isn’t everyones cuppa. I have found the Runners World website helpful in the past, and I think they do training plans too.

Premier Icon Skippy
    Subscriber

I agree with anna a 10K or 5K may be an easier start, half marathon is quite ambitious and it is easy to get injured by doing too much too soon.

don’t do it , it will just put you off running give you blisters & bad knees, she will probably walk most of & take 2-3 hrs you need at least to be able to run 8 miles in training before you do 13 1/2m

sharkbait

When I did it a few years ago I started running 2m, then 3.5m, 5m, 7m and toward the end was running 9 miles no problem. Rumour has it once you can to 9 miles the extra 4 are OK as you taken along by the occasion.
    Good to do but if she tries to do it having never run more than 3 miles she’s asking for trouble.

She had been “persuaded” by some friends to do it for a children’s charity,

dicky

As noted above there are some schedules on Runners World. The ‘get you round’ schedules sound like what she needs.
    My suggestion would be to start off with regular run/ walks (maybe 3 times a week) and in each session alternate running and walking to build up until she can comfortably run for 30mins without stopping. Then keep on running a few times a week and start to build distance.

Bit more encouragement here guys!! Tell her to go for it, if she pulls her finger out now, she’ll be fine. I did my first ‘half’ last year, only started running 6 weeks before, & got round fine, although with glacial slowness (I was passed by an octagenarian dressed as a fairy, that slow!). However I’m now signed up for my next one, running 10K cple times a week, there are still tectonic plates moving faster than I do, but I love it, & that’s what’s important to me. I used the ‘take to the streets’ web site for my training programme, worked for me.

Thanks for the advice people

roper

I tend to agree with stillfallingoff.
    If she is ok with doing it slow and is careful she should go for it. It could open up a whole knew hobby. Some people take to distance running well while others struggle. If she is naturally built that way she should be fine.
    She does need to watch that she is not over doing it though. That can include over tiredness and not just aches or blisters. She doesn’t want to run her system down.
    It would be a great day out as well as a nice achievement.

Good luck

roper

steve_b77

This is exactly what I’ve been trainign for since the end of January, just doing 3-4 miles twice a week (as well as biking) for the first month until I was comfortable.

I then moved away with work 2 weeks ago to Northamptonl wasn’t too sure of what the area was like to run round so I joined Fitness First and got on their Body First Programme (bonus of no joining fee, pay £30 for 3 personal trainer sessions – normally £90, then you get a refund on the £30 and they include the first month for free too!!)

Had my first session with the PT (it’s a lady too 😉 ) last night and she set me up on speeds etc and talked through a training regime that includes going for one proper outdoors run a week at about 8 miles to start with when I feel comfortable doing it.

It’s definatley given me the push I needed and I’m adamant I’ll get sorted and crack 2 hours – doing 8k in 45mins at the mo, so I can;t see it being an issue if I’m disciplined.

Bear in mind that until I started running at the end of January, I had run any distance at any kind of pace since High school (at least 16 years ago), so it’ll be no worries for your wife if shes generally fit to begin with and motivated.

I am following the Runnersworld half marathon schedule – aiming to complete in under two hours. I think this is their middle option.
    Your wife would definitely want the easier schedule, and should be planning to be running about 4 times a week, even 1-2 miles will keep her legs ticking over if she’s feeling tired. Good on her and try and suggest that she runs with other people – it is so much better.

colande

ive done quite a few half marathons,
    and i found the one i didn’t train for, resulted in my fasted time for that course, (i’m a 1hr 35min runner for half marathons)

so dont do any training just turn up 😀

no seriously what everyone else says above,
    its not rocket science to be honest, just go out and run on a regular basis,
    build it up, running with people is easier but sometimes if your faster than the other person they can inadvertently hold you back.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

Go for it. Slowly. Be cautious building the mileage, but she really ought to get up to some sort of distance, otherwise it’ll be too damn hard and potentially demoralising. Hal Higdon has another schedule that worked well for a beginner friend, if she wants the structure.

Count back from May, allowing for a taper, it’s not that far off 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Training for Half Marathon’ is closed to new replies.