Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,012 total)
  • Training and diet talk…
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

So what has everyone got planend for this week?

This is my first proper week of coaching and its taking a bit to get my head round following a proper plan, instead of doing what i like!

I am having a complete confidence crisis about my riding ability/fitness though, not helped by the fact that there’s a fairly big race in 2 weekends time that i’d like to do well in and its my first time racing as part of the team. Everyone in the team has been on their training plans since October so i’m starting my plan 6 months later than everyone and feeling like i’m playing catch up. Please help my confidence come back

Molly, mustard and i might be down in wales in july. 10m tt challenge in July?! Actually TSY this is for you too as we will probably come visit on the way there/back and go for a ride with you 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nah you’re 6 months ahead of everyone else!

You’ve just got the added advantage of having some training races over the next few months in the build up for the 2013 season.

When in July?

phil.w
    Free Member

There’s a 10mile TT at Castle Combe race track on July 18th (wednesday evening).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting with my diet this week and eating loads of sugary treats.

Cookies.
    Cakes.
    Chocolate.
    Biscuits.
    Plus more bread than usual.

I don’t think that the food in itself has an impact on weight loss or gain if you can eat the same calories as you would of ‘healthy’ food.
    The problem is that it’s all so damn moreish… it definitely pushes my body into peaks and troughs of energy and encourages me to eat more and more crap to feel like I have energy.

I’m going to stick to cakes at night from now on.

philconsequence
    Free Member

one small sugary snack a day then spend the rest of the day fighting off the craving for more…. its how real men do it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Real men do it with cigarettes!

You riding this weekend?

philconsequence
    Free Member

it’d be rude not to, when’s good for you? Sunday is a no go at swinley cos of the gorrick race taking over the place… i’d recommend bringing the 456 instead of the covert due to the MUDFACTOR-XTREEM 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

it’d be rude not to, when’s good for you? Sunday is a no go at swinley cos of the gorrick race taking over the place… i’d recommend bringing the 456 instead of the covert due to the MUDFACTOR-XTREEM 😀

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

This weekend I have my first ever 2upTT and a road race the next day. If i survive both, I will enter Ireland’s stage race to end my racing season in style. Eeeeekkk!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmmm… I don’t do mud at the moment… was thinking of bringing mrsYeti but don’t know what her plans are at the moment. She does want to go to GoApe at some point too.

You’ll be fine Dirty… as long as you keep your head! When are you an Molly racing?

philconsequence
    Free Member

awww man, the muds a gooooood core work out though as the bikes constantly messing about underneath you 😀

mud never bothered you before… thought you liked a bit of rough? 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I do. Especially in the form of Tulissa or Stacey off of Eastenders.
    What happened to that thread? I went to lunch and came back… ??

Yeah, my bikes hang on the wall in my living room now and I hate cleaning them…. getting bloody good at hopping puddles.

miketually
    Free Member

Quick update:

Almost at the end of week three. The wife’s still losing weight and mine’s still at the low end (71kg) of my normal range (72-75kg), but consistently at that low end. I’ve lost fat but not any appreciable weight, so must be gaining muscle mass?

I’ve started having two slices of (reasonably low GI) home-made sourdough bread with breakfast, because I like baking it and it’s tasty gorgeous. So, cheating a little, but not much.

Still very thirsty on the last couple of days before cheat day.

I like bacon. Mmmm, bacon.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Good work Mike.

Just another 28 updates from you and this thread can die.

Solo
    Free Member

Still very thirsty on the last couple of days before cheat day.

I’ve increased my coffee intake recently and have noticed increased dehydration.
    If you see what I mean.

This has resulted as increased Thurst.

Solo
    Free Member

Good work Mike.

Just another 28 updates from you and this therad can die.

Ha !, good one Mike.

You’ve irritated TSY.

Obviously he can’t take what he gives out.
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo – far from it you great gala….

If he posted 28 more times we would hit the big 1000!

Now I just need 25.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had a fitness assessment at my circuits at the weekend.

I did ok. Supposedly I am wearing the wrong colour bib, but I ain’t changing up. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Hey.

TSY.

I have something for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What did the assessment tell you DD.. what do the bibs mean?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

When did the glitch start getting all glitchy with this many posts left to go??

Solo
    Free Member

Well.

I can’t be doing with these fricking STW forum hampsters always striking without notice.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

glitch

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What did the assessment tell you DD.. what do the bibs mean?

Me explain laterz. Circuitz nowz.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Coool. I’m going to prance around the gym in a weights vest.

miketually
    Free Member

Wow, McD’s does salad! Grilled chicken salad with black coffee for tea under the Golden Arches. Just about to tuck into a veg omelette.

(Are we at 1000 yet?)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is anyone still following this?

Some lurkers maybe?

Anyway it’s Friday and it’s training talk time.

Everyone keeps saying… “all the power comes from your core”… so…

What’re your favourite core exercises?

My personal fav’s at the moment are, hollows, pilates 100’s and ham/glute raises.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Everyone keeps saying… “all the power comes from your core”… so…
    What’re your favourite core exercises?

Plank with tap outs and X-I’s doing it for me at the moment 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

Planks with one arm rope prowler pulls killed this morning (if that ridiculous description makes no sense – 15m long ship rope with weighted prowler sledge attached. In plank position pull sledge full length of rope using one arm – hips and front remain static and parallel to floor. Switch ends of track and arm then finish with 20 kettle bell swings.

As fast as you can manage x 3

My PT is really into the whole KB / sled / prowler / tyres / sandbag and sledgehammer thing. Keeps things interesting…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Woffle – welcome.

Those sound awesome! Not got a sledge at the gym but plates on a towel might work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Planks, I like, but that’s because I find them easy.

My favourite exercise (at the moment) is burpees…well, not because I enjoy them, but because they’re so damn good. Last night, we started our session off with 5 sets of 15 chest to the ground jobbies with hill sprints in between. I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stop distracting us with tales of your chest and tell us about what the colour of the bibs mean!

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve managed to up my plank to a whole 20 seconds now

#isawareimnolongeraspecialguy

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil – you are joking, right?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well i’ve done nothing for about 3 weeks. I’ve been so lazy it’s untrue. Driven to work, eaten welsh cakes, jelly babies (without doing exercise), cakes and no training whatsoever.

I feel fat and slow

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tricky – you injured? Race season has started, surely?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TSY, it’s British Military Fitness. Blue = low, red = medium, green = high intensity. In reality the blues usually go for a separate session and the reds and greens have the session together but increased reps for green.

For me, I enjoy the motivation from a vocal instructor and doing stuff in a group. We’re lucky to have an excellent hilly park with lots of features for doing the different exercises. For my three classes a week, it costs me less than three squid a class. Sometimes we carry a log or medicine balls around for the whole class, or the instructors bergen or some other foolishness.

The fitness assessment consists of a timed 1500m run. Then 2 minutes each of counted press ups, sit ups and burpees, then a timed 15 x 20 metre shuttle run.

EDIT: Explained Here

philconsequence
    Free Member

course i’m joking, i hadn’t done the plank for months and months until Jo did it randomly in his room the other day so i thought i’d see if i could still do it, managed to do 2minutes 25seconds then i gave up mentally, think i could’ve got another 15ish seconds before giving up if i had really tried!

trickydisco
    Free Member

nope.. Just done a few very crap races so far and completely lost motivation. The last one was absolutely terrible. It was a 2/3/4 65 miler so pretty pacey but i was bored! everyone riding around in a huge bunch. Came to last lap and i decided to go to the front.. people just sitting on my wheel and no one coming through willing to work.

I got back from that race and felt liek chucking it all in

I found this old post

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/differences-between-xc-and-road-racing

and tend to agree with Njee’s comments

I don’t really enjoy road racing, done quite a lot over the years, although admittedly nearly all have been crits. Most people race very negatively, they lack the jump to get across to a break, so you tend to find people dragging the bunch back to any breaks. Crashes also tend to be pretty grim, and are rarely your fault, unlike in XC racing!

The whole mentality is different too, most road races are all serious, people show up, rub embrocation on their legs, race, and go home. XC racing is far more sociable, more of an ‘event’.

this x 100! All races this year have been pretty negative and quite frankly boring. I enjoy the chain gangs more..

Cross racing on the other i come away buzzing!

So, in short.. i’ve lost motivation massively 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ooooohhh… I wanna do a BMF test!!

Tricky – you highlight my worries about getting into racing rather than just doing it for the love! Regarding wheel suckers… take ’em through pot holes and red lights if on the open road 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,012 total)

The topic ‘Training and diet talk…’ is closed to new replies.