Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,012 total)
  • Training and diet talk…
  • miketually
    Free Member

I suppose the crux of the topic is how those living towards 100 have controlled theirs?

Maybe they’re just one of the lucky people whose bodies don’t respond to fast carbs by making them weigh 100kg? Like me 🙂

alex222
    Free Member

I suppose the crux of the topic is how those living towards 100 have controlled theirs?

100 whats? If you mean years why do you care. Wouldn’t you rather live to 50 but have lived a better 50. By this I don’t mean being a big fat smoker and dyeing at 50

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But how many people does it really make put on huge amounts of weight?

Sure if you eat a whole flipping loaf… but a couple of slices a day?

People are getting fat… they don’t move enough and they eat ready meals. A lot of them drink sugary drinks all day and have chocolate bars and crisps as snacks.

It really isn’t hard.

Solo
    Free Member

Would you tell that person to change their ‘habits’?

Yes, if that resulted in them being over weight and suffering from excess weight related health / lifestyle issues.

If on the other thand, they are eating whatever takes their fancy and suffer rude health.

Good luck to them, I’ll not be bothering them with any of the stuff I don’t know.

TSY.
    Imo, your approach to understanding this topic is fundamentally flawed.
    I ask you again, how can you observe any diet related effects to your body weight, when you exercise execcssively.
    Your movement regime may be good for racing, no doubt, but has no real world application.
    The real workld being were most of us non-triahtletes live.

Solo
    Free Member

But how many people does it really make put on huge amounts of weight?

Sure if you eat a whole flipping loaf… but a couple of slices a day?

People are getting fat… they don’t move enough and they eat ready meals. A lot of them drink sugary drinks all day and have chocolate bars and crisps as snacks.

It really isn’t hard.

To eat like a yeti, so long as you exercise like a yeti.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes, if that resulted in them being over weight and suffering from excess weight related health / lifestyle issues.

They’re already in their 90’s FFS…

Solo – you ASSume that I’ve always exercised this much.
    My approach is to look at others. Friends, colleagues, relatives. You don’t assume that everyone I know goes to the gym for hours everyday? Do you?

Also – the level of exercise I do could be seen to give me more levers to pull when it comes to analysing the move more eat less idea.

Right, off to the gym 😛

Solo
    Free Member

They’re already in their 90’s FFS…

What ?, and they got properly fat overnight ?.

My approach is to look at others
    And your conclusion is ?????, to follow the Edukator diet.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

philw – are you Phil from TT (s’mooth, IM, D’king etc)? Just wondering and could probably read thru all of this thread to check. If so, you did Paleo didn’t you and wrote about it on TT?

philconsequence
    Free Member

And your conclusion is ?????, to follow the Edukator diet.

that’s not what i’m getting…

the iDiet is designed to help chunksters get down to a certain level.

yeti appears to be saying that if you dont let yourself get to the chunkster stage to begin with by exercising regularly and eating well instead of eating junk foods, snacking on sugars and drinking sugars then you dont need to iDiet or obsess about every little part of a diet.

and those that have specific targets, will adjust their diet towards those targets, not always for the best health reasons…. but who has the right to say a target of visible abs is worse than a target of being number one on the podium or to have lived a fun life without the constant obsession and restrictions most dieters seem to live with!

molgrips
    Free Member

Molly, why doesn’t it?

Cos no-one was considering the Paeleo diet 90 years ago. In 70 years time we might see loads of people living healthy and happy lives into their 100s, due the Paeleo diet. Insufficient data now though.

For the record, I was never fat, but I have lost 10kg on iDiet. 10kg I didn’t need around my internal organs.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I was never fat, but I have lost 10kg on iDiet. 10kg I didn’t need around my internal organs.

depends on your individual definition of fat doesn’t it… i’ve lost 14kg and i would’ve classed myself as fat. fat surrounding internal organs is more dangerous that subcutaneous fat as far as i know…

molgrips
    Free Member

yeti appears to be saying that if you dont let yourself get to the chunkster stage to begin with by exercising regularly and eating well instead of eating junk foods, snacking on sugars and drinking sugars then you dont need to iDiet or obsess about every little part of a diet.

Hmm.. but it’s not always just sugar that makes you get a bit tubby. The point is that the Western diet is full of starch, which is almost as bad. Bread and potatoes etc.

philconsequence
    Free Member

our western diet wouldn’t be as potentially bad for us if we didnt have a western lifestyle surely…. sitting at computers all day, going home to sit on the sofa and shout at people doing exercise on the Tv as if we could do it better whilst drinking a beer…

Solo
    Free Member

the iDiet is designed to help chunksters get down to a certain level.

Are you sure ?….

iDave – Member
    The iDave diet as used here by biffers isn’t and never has been for elite level endurance athletes in the form it has been given away here.
    But elements of it are very valid are are used.

iDave – Member
    the iDave diet is for endurance athletes also, but they would use some carbs before during and after some training and events.

iDave – Member
    the iDave diet is not a racing diet, never was.

Cos I’m F’d if I know what the iDiet is.

So you’re describing education.
    And therein lies the problem.
    One person’s healthy is another persons poison, all in their opinion.
    The misinformation and out of date opinion that now exists here on the web, regarding diet, is mahoosive.

How do we define healthy

alex222
    Free Member

the iDiet for performance athletes is just the same only with a beer enema before and after short events under two hours. for events longer than two hours you must I repeat must also re-hydrate with a beer enema during the 2nd 3rd of the 1st 3rd of the event. Then eat some chick peas with wasabi sauce to revitalize with essential electrolytes (salts for the lay person).

philconsequence
    Free Member

So you’re describing education.
    And therein lies the problem.
    One person’s healthy is another persons poison, all in their opinion.
    The misinformation and out of date opinion that now exists here on the web, regarding diet, is mahoosive.

How do we define healthy

i’m not describing education, i’m describing active people who don’t eat take-aways every night and drink 5 pints on the way home from work.

opinion is pretty key here yes, as an example i have a patient who’s opinion is that he’s not overweight and his weight isn’t an issue. my opinion is that at 21 stone, 5’6″ and out of control diabetes… it is an issue.

how do we define healthy? i’d say ‘the absence of a health problem’

Solo
    Free Member

opinion is pretty key here yes, as an example i have a patient who’s opinion is that he’s not overweight and his weight isn’t an issue. my opinion is that at 21 stone, 5’6″ and out of control diabetes… it is an issue.

So, does Mr X need a little learning up ?.

I certainly did.
    iDave’s advice, such as it is, has helped a lot as far as setting me on a path of investigation and self experiment.

How else do people with a diet related weight issue, address their situation if not through re-education ?.

I maintain.
    You simply shouldn’t rely on running around like a headless chicken, in order to control your waistline and to mitigate bad food choices.

Education is the key, imo.

EDIT:
    how do we define healthy? i’d say ‘the absence of a health problem’

What ?, is that a bit like “That which does not kill me, makes me healthy “.

Cos I can’t help asking about the timescale for that philosophy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just finishing my lunch off with a coffee and KitKat chunky. I didn’t buy the KKC myself, rather the lady of the house gave it to me with the coffee (tiny drop of milk, no sugar) as we’re doing such a fab job on the floor. What can you do sometimes? It would have been rude to refuse.

Circuits last night.
    Beer tonight.
    Circuits tomorrow morning.
    5’7″ 70 something kg (don’t own weighing scales)
    Pretty awesome individual all-round if a little humble sometimes.

donsimon
    Free Member

*Falls over*

philconsequence
    Free Member

well healthy is a relative thing, i’m healthier than i was last year if you measure it in terms of body fat. but i’m unhealthier with regards to other aspects of my being.

there are many types of health, physical health, mental health, financial health etc etc etc. so with regards to defining the word ‘healthy’ i maintain that its a state in which the individual is not currently experiencing any ill-health.

its easy for fat people to say they’re healthy because they can do 5k on a treadmill, or keep up with their other chunky friends on a 3 hour weekend ride (1 hours riding spread over 3 hours) but that’d be like saying a marathon runner with heart problems is healthy because of his low bodyfat. its all relative, individual and down to ones cultural perception of good health.

Solo
    Free Member

its easy for fat people to say they’re healthy because they can do 5k on a treadmill, or keep up with their other chunky friends on a 3 hour weekend ride (1 hours riding spread over 3 hours) but that’d be like saying a marathon runner with heart problems is healthy because of his low bodyfat. its all relative, individual and down to ones cultural perception of good health.

Or to put it another way, describing what healthy is, is like nailing jelly to the wall.

Yet, look at how many folk on here tell me brown bread IS healthy….

They eat a healthy balanced diet, just like Edukator.

See what I mean ?.
    😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you discussing health or fitness?

Solo
    Free Member

DD.

Sorry, I have been remiss.

Its been a long time, AFAIK.
    Welcome back to the nut house.

molgrips
    Free Member

Double D!

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont even bother talking to 40DD, he’s only 5’7″ 😯

at 70kg i could benchpress him

*has the strangest….*

Solo
    Free Member

Are you discussing health or fitness?

I’m not sure we’re discussing anything.

TSY just decided to unpin a grenade and big-up the advice handed out by a previous contributor to another diet thread.

Although, the use of the word ” Healthy ” might be a give-away.
    😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Although, the use of the word ” Healthy ” might be a give-away.

But, the rather lovely phil got me in all of a fluster with this…

its easy for fat people to say they’re healthy because they can do 5k on a treadmill,

And that poor girl in the marathon was incredibly fit, but not, as it turned out, very healthy.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

TSY.
    Imo, your approach to understanding this topic is fundamentally flawed.
    I ask you again, how can you observe any diet related effects to your body weight, when you exercise execcssively.

TSY, how many hours a week do you exercise?

DD, woohoo!

And wtf does my laptop not load training peaks properly but displays images like ^^ Gggrrr!

philconsequence
    Free Member

And that poor girl in the marathon was incredibly fit, but not, as it turned out, very healthy.

indeed, there’s a chance yeti might be very fit but not very healthy…. knowing how much crack he’s smoked over the years i expect he’ll just stop posting one day and i’ll find out via an awkward text from his phone written by his ashamed mother that he passed away whilst indulging himself in a crack fuelled sadomasochistic act of self relief in a public area. that’s not healthy is it.

Solo
    Free Member

TSY, how many hours a week do you exercise?

Apparently, he’s in the gym, at the mo.
    😉

donsimon
    Free Member

that’s not healthy is it.

Ooooh! I don’t know…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m back 🙂

12-20 hours I’d guess.

So, does Mr X need a little learning up ?.

I certainly did.

Which is why I don’t knock your choices.

I maintain.
    You simply shouldn’t rely on running around like a headless chicken, in order to control your waistline and to mitigate bad food choices.

Neither Edukator or myself have advocated that someone should.

I can’t quite figure you out Solo. What led you down the path of needing to focus on your diet in such a way? What did you used to eat?

Essentially I don’t believe that porridge is unhealthy. Nor do I think that eating brown bread, or even a French stick, a couple of days a week is unhealthy.

I never have, not as a child or now, eaten large quantities of sweets or developed a habit of treating myself with food.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh, and finding out more about DD has made me love him all the more… you’re one special guy x x

philconsequence
    Free Member

I never have, not as a child or now, eaten large quantities of sweets or developed a habit of treating myself with food.

i did, father away so stuck in the house with a mum and sister who at one point both won slimmer of the year in the same year as each other meant my relationship with food was a bit silly from a young age.

despite my relationship with food, yo-yoing weight over the years etc, i couldn’t be as interested (being honest… its appears outwardly as obsessed when reading your posts) in every little detail of the food we eat as you solo.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

12-20 hours I’d guess.

In comparsion, i’m going to be doing around 10 hours on the training plan i have been set, 8hrs on the bike and 2hrs in the gym of weights. I can then do anything else i want over and above the sessions he has set me, but suspect i won’t want to. I guess currently i do around 12hrs usually but that’s all about to change!
    mon – weights 1 hr
    tues – 2hr chaingang
    weds weights 1hr
    thurs – 2 hr chaingang or rest
    fri rest
    sat 2.3hr chaingang
    sun – social ride of around 4hrs.

I’d not class what you do as excessive but a sprint tri before work might be 😛

Solo
    Free Member

Neither Edukator or myself have advocated that someone should.

Ed advocated eating whatever he thought to be correct.
    What he didnt account for was types like Molgrips and my Ex.
    Nor did he consider, imo, people who move about a lot less than he did.
    A retiree !.
    You know ?, someone with a lot of time on their hands…..

So all those posts where you have declared that you’ve just eaten loads of mini egss, or whatever junk food you can get hold of.
    You’re telling sedentary types its ok to eat like this in addition to the foods you and Ed advocate ?.
    The bread, the pasta.
    Well thats fine for you, you exercise more than a lot of people, ime.

I can’t quite figure you out Solo. What led you down the path of needing to focus on your diet in such a way? What did you used to eat?
    Obviously.
    I shall explain it again, shall I ?.
    I’m office based, desk bound worker, right ?.
    Like now, when I’m the last person here, pissin about on a keyboard instead of being home and fixing up my next bike.
    I’v worked this way for years.
    I looked around me, in the offices I’ve been to and I saw all those 50 somethings who are all overweight, after a career in the office.
    That excess weight will have an effect on their future health, if they don’t sort it, which most do not.

Was this my fate ?.
    Was I to become 50 and fat ?.
    Well, it looked like it until I found a few types on here referring to iDave way back when.

They were reporting that this fella was worth heeding and shortly after discovering iDave, he happened to unleashed upon the universe, the iDave Diet.

So I gave it three weeks, but also started to try to look into what is behind the fat production process of the human body.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Are you getting me so far, sweet heart ?.

Essentially I don’t believe that porridge is unhealthy. Nor do I think that eating brown bread, or even a French stick, a couple of days a week is unhealthy.
    Define unhealthy.
    Just because you believe something is not unhealthy, is this a reason to eat it?.

So what you’re saying is that you’ve missed out on developing some eating habits that now, in retrospect, you would have considered not to be a good idea.
    Can you see that others may not have been so lucky ?.
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So the coach has worked you out and is assuming that you’ll go off on your own to do hill-reps or specific speed work if you feel you need to!

MrsYeti now works at the gym. If she’s on early shift and we’ve lift shared I’ve got up to 3 hours of time I can use before work! Hence the Sprint this morning.

Solo
    Free Member

I’d not class what you do as excessive but a sprint tri before work might be

I have rarely met anyone who exercises as much as TSY.
    And I’ve been around.
    So I feel safe in claiming that TSY’s level of activity is not typical.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve never met anyone who does the Paleo diet Solo?

Fair point though.. out of the 3000+ members of the gym, only <5% do as much as I do.

I really should have a more manual job, ideally outdoors. Although when I was doing landscape gardening I went to the gym on my way home 🙂

Of course… the rest of the gym population proportionately reflects the national statistics for obesity levels though.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,012 total)

The topic ‘Training and diet talk…’ is closed to new replies.