Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,012 total)
  • Training and diet talk…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

?

C’mon I’m bored and nobody has mentioned i???? this week.

My mrs has started working at the gym I go to.. when she’s on early shift I get to start exercising at 6:15 now. 2 hours of exercise is possible before work… how good is that?

Jamie
    Free Member
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😐

Go on Jamie… tell me about your running training. Do you do drills? How many miles do you do a week? How many rest days do you take?

Jamie
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t make me log on to Twitter now!

philconsequence
    Free Member

you guys back together now? i feel bad that your invite says +1 instead of + mrsyeti!

Jamie
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

Well the last time I challenged iDave’s banned list Molgrips called me a “pr***” and a “Pi*******” and you yourself rubbished most everything I said, Yeti, and all that despite the fact myself and others backed up what we said with links and quotes and all you could come up with was “Dave says”. I’m still smiling at the low-carb, high-fat breakfast Dave ate before a cyclosportive, edit: and not eating for an hour and a half into the event.

Go read/bump the last thread you slagged detractors off on, or is it an embarrassment?

Jamie
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, she refused to move out… oh and she’s pretty awesome.

Sponsor her… http://www.justgiving.com/Claireaklong

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Edukator – ya daft brush… go and read the thread yourself. My diet is not dissimilar to your own. I count myself as lucky that I can eat loads of bread and chocolate and see my abs. I also eat a bucket load of fruit every day… my diet is close to that prescribed in ‘Racing Weight’ if you’ve read that?

I was reading some stuff on different top athletes diets last night and some of them eat utter rubbish, some of them eat exactly as iDiet, others like you and I… they’re highly trained athletes who can burn calories at a greater rate than the average Joe.

The only thing I’d say is that the iDiet was put forward to help tubbies become lean.

I was also reading about fat burning zones and what utter rubbish that potentially is…

lazybike
    Free Member

I was also reading about fat burning zones and what utter rubbish that potentially is

…How so..

iDave
    Free Member

“I’m still smiling at the low-carb, high-fat breakfast Dave ate before a cyclosportive, edit: and not eating for an hour and a half into the event.”

I’m doing a longer sportive this weekend. I’ll have the same breakfast, same eating on the bike. Perhaps you could predict what will happen to me? Oh how you’ll laugh.

Ever heard of Dunning-Kruger?

Jamie
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

lazybike – utter rubbish might be a bit strong.

What I read was suggesting that it’s more important to burn total calories than trying to burn some fat, or some carbs.

In summary it said that what you eat after exercise will go mostly towards replenishing whatever fuel source you used in your body.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Training talk…

I’m into tapering for the london marathon but it’s doing my head in….

Run/don’t run/ run… but slowly/run … but only for a little while….

Grrrr

I’m ready, and wish the marathon was tomorrow

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is that on Sunday?

What sort of pace you aiming for? Got any training tips?

lazybike
    Free Member

sounds logical, at what point does the body switch from burning fat to carbs? also when does glycogen get used and how is it replaced. Exscuse my ignorance on this stuff…

Solo
    Free Member

The flame-idge potential, is stong with this one….

What I read was suggesting that it’s more important to burn total calories than trying to burn some fat, or some carbs.

Hhhmmm. I suppose thats all well and good.

But I think that learning what the body does and how it operates, is the place to start.

Drum roll for the men in white coats….

Jamie
    Free Member

Drum roll for the men in white coats….

*insert obvious joke here*

Solo
    Free Member

What ?, for the scientists in the labs who observe and measure how the human body operates ?.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

sounds logical, at what point does the body switch from burning fat to carbs? also when does glycogen get used and how is it replaced. Exscuse my ignorance on this stuff…

I think it’s closely related to % of VO2 max, which is translated to % of max HR for us mortals. Essentially though is different for each of us.

Re the glycogen thing… I don’t know but in simplistic terms I believe the body does its best to convert whatever you put into it, into whatever it needs / is most depleted.

The thing I read alluded to the idea that fitter athletes and exercise in itself prompted the body to be better at doing this,

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

who observe and measure how the human body operates ?.

Doesn’t it vary between individuals though Solo?

Rubber_Buccaneer

What ?, for the scientists in the labs who observe and measure how the human body operates ?.

I think one about men in white coats approaching you with a straight jacket at the ready would be funnier while still being obvious 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Is that on Sunday?
    What sort of pace you aiming for? Got any training tips?”

Next Sunday (22nd)

Pacing … about 7:4O/mile… my goal was sub 3 1/2 … from training runs and a half mara race, I did the other week, I’m well on target for that (touch wood)… it’s now just how hard I wanna push… London’s so much fun I just wanna take it in, rather than beast myself.

Training tip…. find an early long race. I did a 15 mile xc at the end of january… that really jump started the training plan, got my mileage up early.

Oh and something I don’t think you’ll like….. Long and slow, long and slow, long and slow… It’s worked for me that’s all I can say.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers Rosey. Good Luck.

I was coming to the conclusion that I need to go long and slow with my running for a while 🙁

Do you run with a fuel belt for your training runs?

Jamie
    Free Member

If you’re eating right, you shouldn’t really need fuel upto 15 miles. Afterwards, yes, but during…never did it personally.

lazybike
    Free Member

Thanks TSY, I’ll google glycogen see what I can find..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie I get thristy… long and slow 15 miles… no drink!

Solo
    Free Member

Doesn’t it vary between individuals though Solo?

To what extent a process occurs in your body, may fluctuate on an individual basis, true.
    But that the process even occurs at all, is what I was referring to.

Which is where:

I think one about men in white coats approaching you with a straight jacket at the ready would be funnier while still being obvious

I worded that comment for just that effect.
    Could mean more that one thing….

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie I get thristy… long and slow 15 miles… no drink!

Never really had that issue. It’s different for everyone though. I know people who need to take a bottle on 10k runs.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But that the process even occurs at all, is what I was referring to.

Do I care if I’m getting leaner and fitter? No.

If you’ve already got the answers though… why not share them?

Solo
    Free Member

If you’re eating right, you shouldn’t really need fuel upto 15 miles. Afterwards, yes

Careful.

You’ll make Edu-kato break out into uncontrollable laughter, again.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

Do I care if I’m getting leaner and fitter? No.

If you’ve already got the answers though… why not share them?

What ?, in all that is swivel eyed and damp.
    Did that mean ?.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ever heard of Dunning-Kruger?

Yes, iDave: alluding to it is a form of insult dished out on the internet by self-proclaimed experts shown to be less than expert by rank amateurs.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You seem to read widely around the topic Solo… and seem to like to substantiate your view with scientific opinion.

I only half-heartedly care… so if you’ve already read stuff about this, why not educate us?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Fueling, really not my strong point.
    I’ve suffered badly from stitches last year. In so far that I believe it’s my limiting factor… legs strong, lungs good but doubled up with stabbing pains.
    So I pretty much shied away from “during training” nutrition, to the point of not drinking at all during 3hr training runs … which is a bit silly.
    So I started trying HIGH5 iso gels. They have worked for me and given me the confidence to drink a little water as well. Got three gels in a fuel belt for long runs 18mile+(using only two, and the third as a reserve) with one of those small bottles the hand whole in them.

Solo
    Free Member

I only half-heartedly care… so if you’ve already read stuff about this, why not educate us?

I’d say you’re being generous, furthermore, I’ll leave it to Kato to Edukate you.

Even furthermore, I’m really at a loss as to what you mean, so I’m going back to re-read this thread, so far….

emsz
    Free Member

Good luck. Ro5ey hope it goes ok!

Longest run I’ve done this year was 15 miles and I tool 2 gels one at 5 and then at 10 . Did 1 hour 56 which I was dead chuffed with. Didn’t drink, I find it hard to drink and run

I get bored of all the diet and science stuff. I’ve tried to read loads of articles but as soon as they start with the scientific terms I just switch off.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know what you mean emsz – I just want it to say ‘do this to be Awesome!!!’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,012 total)

The topic ‘Training and diet talk…’ is closed to new replies.