Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Training advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

If you are training for 1.5 hour races (scots mtb vets category) and have limited training time, is there likely ot be any significant detriment to your base training in doing say 1 x 2.5-3 hour ride at the weekend vs 2 x 1.5 hour rides? (with say a 2 hour ride mid-week)

oddjob
    Free Member

Get a copy of the new Chris Charmichael training book called the time crunched training plan. It would be ideal for you and I think it is pretty good stuff. I am following it at the moment

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting, cheers. It's a bit academic atm as I'm not sure if I CBA!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Two bits of advice:-

All training should be progressive.

Train hard -race easy.

jojoA1
    Free Member

MTFU and get on with it. Who needs a social life, your incentive can be that you'll be in the same race as me 🙂 x

Bream
    Free Member

2nd what oddjob said, great book which easily explains the science and gives a good training plan based on low input hours. Using it myself now and happy with the results so far 8)

trickydisco
    Free Member

i've got a pdf copy of Pete reads black book if anyone wants it.

dickydutch

trickdisco-
    That'd be brilliant if you could email me a copy please
    rich656 AT hotmail DOT COM

Thankyou very much!

Bream
    Free Member

Please could I have a copy of that as well TD 🙂

jeff3bream AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk

Cheers muchness 8)

karnali
    Free Member

would like a copy as well if not too much hassle

martin_varey@yahoo.com

cheers

LeeW

Can I have a copy alos please – email in profile.

Thank you.

Me
    Free Member

yes please!
    tom.hards@yahoo.co.uk

gravitysucks
    Free Member

yes please dan@gravitysucks.co.uk

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jojo – you are entering mens' this year?

Yes please for a copy, kelvinmaxwell at clear dot net dot nz

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

yes please, just sent you an email.

qwerty
    Free Member

take drugs, ride fast, die early

windymills
    Free Member

Yes please. Just sent an Email.

hockropper

I'd like a copy too please selmsgarne.beowulf@virgin.net

iRideSpesh
    Free Member

I feel left out now, can I please have a copy.

iridespesh@gmail.com

Cheers

br
    Free Member

When we did our first Gorrick, approx 13 miles, we packed lunch in our Camelbak's, and ate it mid-way through the second (of three) lap…

Our next target, after just finishing, was not to be lapped and then we moved onto under 150% of the distance winner etc etc.

But just doing them got us fitter, and certainly increased our mental capacity.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

How about sending Pete read some cash for that black book! Im the one who made a PDF of it as my book got trashed. He's a decent bloke who makes his living from training, he doesnt need you lot not paying for his stuff.

trickydisco
    Free Member

How about sending Pete read some cash for that black book! Im the one who made a PDF of it as my book got trashed. He's a decent bloke who makes his living from training, he doesnt need you lot not paying for his stuff.

Was discussed on the bikeradar forum. I'm all up for this.. Have you got an email/paypal address for Pete?

EDIT: got it pete@cyclecoaching.com

jojoA1
    Free Member

Al, the Vet men race at the same time as the kids and laydees…. You're 'B' list now. 😉

Bream
    Free Member

Agreed, don't mind paying for the book, cash sent via paypal 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool…B list..I used to be C list 😀

Got that book (not the nicked one everyone wants to pay for, one I bought myself :D)

Jeez that Carmichael boy can write (1) badly (2) at length…

Junkyard
    Free Member

can I have a copy as well?
    My e-mail in profile anyone please

oldgit
    Free Member

On the Carmichael system as well. Hoping it'll give me some early race speed for Vets road races, crits, xc and cross.
    Mates seem to think somethings worked!

Bream
    Free Member

To be honest I think the biggest benefit of the Carmichael training plan is that it keeps you focussed on consitent training. Before I reckon I use to ride a similar amount of time but it was a lot more random. Best bit of having a structured plan is you get the most of your time productively. So in general just about any training plan will help as long as there is some science behind it 😀

schmiken

Could I have a copy? PayPal sent!

feralbeta@hotmail.com

Bream
    Free Member

BTW oldgit & oddjob, just out of interest what were your field test results before you started the plan? My Wattage came out at 293 and HR 183!?

Also, what weeks are you in? I'm just coming to the end of week 2 only and can already feel the difference!!

Keep up the good work 😀

My field test results:

oldgit
    Free Member

Four weeks in.
    TBH I started before I got the plan based on info from another rider.
    And yes I can feel the diference, though the real test will come when the road season starts.

The big problem I have is remembering to engage my brain. It's an assumption that you'll just be faster without a thought. I realised this after going 'wrong' during a cross race, then finding I did have new found speed to get back in contention.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Has anyone got some thoughts on base training? I've always done a lot of circuit training (twice a week) and even though i'm not looking to compete according to the calendar (which the black book is aimed at) it does state you shouldn't do any interval work or raise your heart rate while base training

While you are creating this all-important base it is essential that you do not become involved in any high intensity effort whatsoever. This means no sprinting, no racing with club mates and no hard circuit training in the gym.
    In fact don't to see your heart rate exceed the top of Level 2 even when
    climbing. To ensure this doesn't happen, I suggest you stay on flat or slightly undulating terrain for the time being. Any high heart rate training before the aerobic base is fully developed will simply cancel out the benefits so don't do it! The time will eventually come when I will want you to raise your effort but
    it isn't now

also.. Does anyone know if paypal will reject payment if that email address doesn't exist?

I've sent some money to Pete (grabbed the email from the bike radar thread) but not shure if paypal tells you if it's successful

Bream
    Free Member

I am possibly wrong but the black book approach seems more based on traditional training methods like I use to use 20 years ago and pitched as building fitness across the entire season. Whereas the Carmichael plan is more about hitting peak in 8 weeks regardless of building a deep base. The Carmichael plan does have a Endurance block section that can be used to build base/endurance as well. I haven't read his main book about training but I guess its more based on people who have more time to train properly based on a broader spectrum of training to race out the whole season etc. So, pick the plan the suits you best and focus on that, you can always change it around for the next season if you aren't happy with the results.

As for paypal, my account only states the transaction is complete so I assume he has accepted it?

Jase
    Free Member

Yep don't go any higher than zone 2 during base training. You will come across hills so just try to spin as easy as possible and keep your HR down.

Its important to remember to not make the winter rides too easy so don't go along in zone 1 singing christmas carols, keep within zone 2 wherever possible.

Have a look at Joe Friels Blog, a few good articles on base training: http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html

oldgit
    Free Member

Bream
    The Carmichael book is really aimed at returning riders or first time competitors.
    I consider myself a returning rider at 50, I'm also using it to adapt from training for 12s, 24s and enduros to shorter road, cross and xc racing. So once I've started my road season I'll change to training that'll suit my fitness/time/racing schedule.
    It'll be interesting to see if there is any improvement this weekend at my next race, especialy as the last two weeks went pear shaped.

Bream
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on oldgit, I guess I can class myself as a returning racer with only a 20 year gap in between 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

20 Years! that's about the same as me, I've dabbled since but I only really raced between 1972 and 1993.
    Tried returning two years ago with the really old vets and got mullered, only to find out that I was racing ex pros and national champions! I actually found it easier in the 4th cat races so that's what I'm returning to Vet/4th Cat.

trickydisco
    Free Member

So who do i work out my aerobic threshold or zone 2 HR level (i haven't got a HR monitor yet)

how should zone 2 feel?

EDIT: presumably by buying said HR monitor and working out my max?

stratobiker
    Free Member

tricky,
    The rule of thumb guide is…..

If you can speak, as in "lets ride to the cafe", like two or three words, but not carry on a full blown conversation, that's level 2. Slightly breathless, but not out of breath.

It should feel purposeful but not massively hard.

SB

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Training advice’ is closed to new replies.