Viewing 40 posts - 3,081 through 3,120 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • stevious

@ferrals @haze – I’m going for low volume this year for the same reasons.

@gray
    – Ouch.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve always gone for the low volume for that reason.  Easier to add in something as opposed to feel guilty about missing a session.  I’ve just been following plans loosely as doing more running / weight lifting this year for general health and don’t have a big cycling objective.

@gray
    – You make me feel lucky which is saying something!!

gray

I’ve also previously found that low volume plus a bit of optional freestyle extra is nice. Once you’ve got the three quality sessions in then anything on top that doesn’t knacker you is a bonus.

(I did my Achilles playing badminton too, already a bit bored of it, but it doesn’t hurt much.)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

I haven’t played it since, shortly afterwards a work colleague did the same. Seems to be a very common injury in explosive sports.

tomlevell

Gray – Oof you get all the luck don’t you.

Finished Base pretty tired and started on Build but not feeling right. Probably a small cold but couldn’t hold power and struggling in the real world too. Didn’t back off duration but did on intensity. Sacked the plan off in the 2nd week but felt better so raced on Zwift last week with some decent outdoor rides. Decided to plow on with the plan so this is a realtively easier week then back to week 5 next week. Bit scared that my FTP might be up again as the last test I wasn’t right but maintained the same FTP but I’ve got to remember the failures after that were probably down to health. Ramp test is a much nicer way of doing the FTP estimation also.

I go for the mid plan as it fits my average hours fine and happy to sub in rides. Just got put on the new beta (look for the Trainroad Beta group on Facebook) plan layout and they now provide a TSS estimate for outdoor rides. I assume it’s more accurate with a HR monitor on. Not fussed about it being 100% accurate but it’s a better indication of the overall load in a week.

Going forward now it’s “nice” outside I’ll be intending to do Wed/Thurs/Sun outdoors at least.

Ends up ending the Speciality Phase 1 week early for this years main event at Glentress 7.

john_l
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last few weeks riding outside and decided that it’s infinitely more preferable to sitting on the trainer.

downside56
    Free Member

A quick question on nootropics, has anyone tried them for mountain biking?

<span data-story-id=”story_b6612df3c4943928b363a58dee6f51c2″ data-room-id=”room_60141c91f1ba065b9b2ce5db0cefa52d” data-timestamp=”1520451574242″ data-text=”A quick question on supplements, anyone tried those that increase focus? Like caffeine, green tea, or specific ones you can buy online for brain focus?” data-userid=”561238302471647232″ data-orgid=”561238302674857984″>A quick question on supplements, anyone tried those that increase focus? Like caffeine, green tea, or specific ones you can buy online for brain focus?</span>

<span data-story-id=”story_c820770f05e9b0d8a8e5907c7d282b7e” data-room-id=”room_60141c91f1ba065b9b2ce5db0cefa52d” data-timestamp=”1520451605110″ data-text=”And if so, did they help for xxx (insert sport name herE?)” data-userid=”561238302471647232″ data-orgid=”561238302674857984″>And if so, did they help for mountain biking?</span>

ferrals
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>john_l
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I’ve spent the last few weeks riding outside and decided that it’s infinitely more preferable to sitting on the trainer.

Same.. just cancelled my TR subscription for that reason as it would more be a case of the occaisonal turbo. Interested in the TR beta thing though, as I do tend to try and follow the general plan concept outside. If they can give you an estimated TSS for your outside rides so you can see how well you’re synching into the plan when outside I’d probably re-subscribe. Off to look at facebook!

</div>

tomlevell

That’s essentially it. You have to request access and I think it took about 3 weeks to get in but it might be quicker now. I think it’s been literally switched on this week though.

I suspect they are trying to compete with Trainingpeaks which I’ve looked at but am just bamboozled by the options and info.

john_l
    Free Member

i’m using Trainingpeaks as well – gives you TSS based on HR.

TR was great when coming back from busted collarbone, but I needed to get back on the bike properly and particularly for racing SS, I don’t think you can properly replicate that indoors.

gray

I’ve kept my subscription going even though my ankle is immobilised, simply because I like the podcast and the product so much that I want to continue supporting them. I’ve cancelled zwift though  and probably won’t switch it back on again. I have a Robocop style boot thing now, so I reckon in a few weeks I’ll fit some flatties and have a go at heel pedalling on the turbo…

ferrals
    Free Member

@tomlevell so how does it work, you upload your gps file to TR and specify what bike etc?

crosshair
    Free Member

Nope, it grabs from Strava. It’s really good!

I’ve managed to bamboozle it though by riding my rides simultaneously on Zwift and only saving the Zwift ride to Strava. TR can see both of course but the Zwift one is generally longer and contains a few extra TSS points.

So the TSS score is more than double for those days. I guess that’s why it’s a Beta though.

It would be the same if you warmed up and cooled down longer on your Garmin and only saved that version etc etc so no doubt they’ll fix it.

tomlevell

I’ve no doubt Training Peaks does but it’s a mess to look and work out what everything is for. I’m sure it’s a more powerful tool in the right hands.

TR grabs from Strava/Garmin etc.

Currently you have to manually force it to calculate the TSS by adding a ride intensity scale from 1-10 against their notes. I’m assuming it looks at HR but I don’t know it does for a fact. Might only work on the scale.

It does take Zwift rides and automatically calculates TSS as they are power based. I guess if you have a power meter outdoors it’ll do the same. One person noted that you can change the FTP on each ride which means outdoor you can alter it if you have a different result.

john_l
    Free Member

I just auto sync my Garmin HR data with TP & there it is.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

so sorry to ask, I did google/ search but nothing found. Traininerroad on a 1×10 mtb?  have a spare wheel with a closer range cassette on it…    if I whack the resistance up it should be ok?

will only be two max three sessions a week of intervals for a couple of months…

brycelewis
    Free Member

That’ll work perfect!  I’ve personally spent a lot of time on a trainer with a mountain bike. There are a few things to consider though:

1.  The trainer will tear up your rear tire.  You may want to consider a trainer specific tire if that is possible with your setup

2.  You need to make sure that your trainer is compatible with your rear wheel spacing.  Bikes with boost spacing have 148mm rear axles and do not fit in some trainers.  Also worth considering, if you have a rear thru axle, then you will need to pick up a thru axle trainer adapter to allow you to clamp it in the trainer’s frame.

In general, your gearing should have adequate range on the trainer but that will depend to a degree on the size of your front chainring.  Trainer, tire tread, roller pressure etc will all have an effect on your resistance so I can’t say with certainty what gearing you will need.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers Bryce, yes I have a specific trainer tyre @ 80psi. 26 inch wheel. front chainring is only 32.  I have used it before but I had a double on the mtb then. but I think I had it on a lower resitance setting.    I also cant seem to find my heart rate montor… it’ll be ok with just speed and cadence sensors yes?

gray

You definitely don’t need HR to run perfectly well on TrainerRoad. I always hook up my HR sensor, but that’s more for post-hoc curiosity and long term trend stuff – I pay pretty much no attention to it during the session (I mean, I might notice if it was going bonkers, but otherwise…).

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sufferfest workouts no longer available via trainerroad – shame as I liked a couple of the less intense ones like ‘power station’ and ‘nine hammers.’

brycelewis
    Free Member

@howsyourdad1

Yep, all you need is a speed cadence sensor and a supported trainer to get up and running TrainerRoad with VirtualPower 🙂  Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

gray

I had a 5 minute go on the turbo today, with flat pedals and my big fat Achilles boot thing! Felt weird, and had to lower the saddle a bit to not be a bit uncomfortable, but essentially it was OK  I might use it a bit over the next few weeks, mainly to get blood flowing through my leg and promote healing rather than for fitness, but it’s all good…

ferrals
    Free Member

So no-ones been turboing through summer 🙂

Just re-signed up to TR and see the strava grabbing is now live on the main version.Will be interesting to see how it goes. Doesnt seem to be using heart rate though – just your percieved effort (and I guess duration).

Anyone been using it without power (for outside rides) and care to comment on how useful they’ve found it long term? I’m only using virtual power on turbo

jonnyboi

I’ve been sticking outside rides in, only to give an estimation of my weekly TSS

MSP

I have just signed up after a long break, and can’t find the video workouts (ie sufferfest) is the feature retired now?

Garry_Lager

They sufferfest ones were pulled earlier this year, as sufferfest are now app based themselves and want people to operate within their platform.

Shame, as revolver was a bit of a classic on TR.

Don’t know about other videos, have they all gone?

MSP

Yeah, I found the sufferfest post about it, I think they are cheeky bastards, I bought most of the sufferfest videos over the years to use with trainerroad, I knew they haven’t released new videos for purchase for 2 or 3 years but pulling the old stuff from trainerroad is pretty poor IMO.

Does any one know any good resources for mountain bike videos to watch while training?

Garry_Lager

Agreed – the videos are useless to me just to watch and train with perceived effort or whatever.

You could probably create the TR workout easily enough and merge it with the video somehow with two windows if you fancied. Might try that with revolver as it’s a very simple profile.

MSP

That is the first session I have done without a trainerroad syncing up with the video (just watched a xco race on redbull tv) It really didn’t work, it isn’t half as involving. I was planning on buying a new trainer next month and subscribing to sufferfest anyway, but still pissed off that they have taken that attitude.

Also find it a shame that sufferfest don;t do any mountain bike videos.

Kryton57

Zwift?

MSP

I tried zwift last year, thought it was complete and utter shite.

Garry_Lager

That is the first session I have done without a trainerroad syncing up with the video (just watched a xco race on redbull tv) It really didn’t work, it isn’t half as involving. I was planning on buying a new trainer next month and subscribing to sufferfest anyway, but still pissed off that they have taken that attitude.

Also find it a shame that sufferfest don;t do any mountain bike videos.

I like SF a lot but wonder how their schtick works for a complete training package – assuming they’re not going for the bury yourself every single session approach which would be madness. Sounds a bit odd doing a sufferfest easy sweetspot sesh.

Haze

Injury has kept me off the bike since early June but have been trying to tick over on TrainerRoad, haven’t really been able to get out of Z2/3 without much discomfort but hoping to start building back up soon.

Hadn’t realised the Sufferfest workouts had been removed, I stopped using them a couple of years ago as I found I made better progress following the base/build plans. Shame as I like the idea of the odd one when motivation is lacking and a fresh option would be good.

One thing I do miss is the drag and drop videos for when I’m doing something less structured as over the last few weeks, I use a tablet these days as it’s loads more convenient.

Kryton57

I tried zwift last year, thought it was complete and utter shite.

I get that, because I’m only a recent convert myself.   But their training plans have improved and kind of morph to your missed workout / goals.  Principally though as my plans are set in TodaysPlan, Zwift links to todays plan.  I get all my target intervals & numbers plus the start/finish “hoops” are great to aim for when your buried deep toward then end of a 450w 1 min interval

Therefore I’m achieving the benefit of a better UI (IMO) than Trainerroad, using a very personalised training plan.

Outside of that I’m not sure I’m capable of being immersed as others though, for example when doing a Sunday morning ride by myself because is 0 degrees outside.   I’ve joined the group rides but despite the w/kg based parameter of those to even things up I never find them quite as advertised and find myself outside of my desired training zone, so a bit dissatisfied with that.

ferrals
    Free Member

So.. TSS…

This week I did two ramp tests on monday (first one I/a mis-shifting bike messed up), then a reduced amplitude billats workout tuesday. This gave me a TSS of 49 on monday and 67 on tuesday.  Monday should have been a rest day but i needed to FTP test so i could turbo on tues. I’m aiming for a hard week this week and work/childcare meant an early turbo was my only option. I should have done a harder workout on tues but was lazy and legs feelin the ramp test.

Question really is, to assuage my nagging guilt, whats the difference between a monday with 0 TSS (rest day) followed by a killer session of TSS 110+ on tues or splitting the TSS between two days like I did?

Kryton57

or splitting the TSS between two days like I did?

On day 2 you may be able to perform to a peak due to tiredness.   If you’re going to do that, schedule workouts hard/dooable.  So thats

Hard & Short and Hard & Short  – 45mins sprint & 45 mins sprint

or

Hard & Short and Long & easy – 45mins sprint & 1.5hr Z2

or

Doable & doable – 2 x 20 and 2 x 20.

No point doing 5 x 3mins Vo2max on day 1, then trying that again on day 2 and failing.   The exception id if your building for multi day / muscular endurance – I did lots of Vo2max day one and 2 or even 3 x 20 mins day 2 last winter – but that last 20 was often a struggle.

Haze

Not a coach, but…if you’re only interested in accumulating TSS then no difference.

I guess it really depends on the original intention against how you actually acquired it?

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah I guess it makes no differnece. I’m starting to train harder now with the goal of structured turbo training through the cx season to be a peak fitness for the regional champs (my 1 A race) then maintaining that  for the NT at SHrewbury 9second A race). I’d planned out my 3 weeek training 1 week rest (with B races at the end of the rest week and C races other wekends), but it meant that I had a rest week last week (due to my past cycle of training), but need also to have a rest week next (which coincides with tapering so I can make cx rnd 1 a ‘b’ race). Therefore I was planning a 1 week killer week this week so I’m not loosing fitness over three easy weeks.

In an ideal world I’ve have done 1.5 – 2hrs of warm up, 5 minute RAB intervals 5 minute rest on Tues. Instead I did 2 20 minute ramp tests monday evening and 1hr turbo with 4 RAB intervals on tues. Probably equates to the same thing.

Kryton57

Yeah I guess it makes no differnece

Goddam this invisible ink…

crosshair
    Free Member

Whilst the TR thread is up- they are trickling people into the beta Calander feature. It’s pretty good 👍🏻

I’ve had a bad year with TR discipline. I’ve been through the best part of a whole BBS cycle with only about ten crisp TR intervals done on the Turbo. Mainly because of the weather and thanks to finding a Tuesday chaingang, I’ve either done a best-fit version of the interval set outside or swapped it for an outdoor group ride or race.

This time last year, I really applied myself to Sustained Power build for 8 weeks and had a great end of season peak but I’m struggling to give up the outdoor riding this time around.

I think the lack of a meaningful goal at the moment is holding me back.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,081 through 3,120 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.