Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Trails South Manchester / Peak District
  • marps85
    Free Member

After years of thinking about it, I’ve finally done something about it and purchased a new Hardtail (Cannondale Trail 5). I live in Marple, South of Manchester and I’m familiar with the Roman Lakes / Middlewood / Lyme Park trails – I was wondering if anyone knew of any others in the area?

I’ve been running / walking around Castleton and imagine there’s some great trails up that way.

Any help on where is a great place to go, or where I could find out any further info would be amazing.

And finally, what do you guys recommend for GPS? Is it worth investing in a Garmin or an alternative for navigation or are there mobile apps that offers relatively the same thing, but for the fraction of the cost?

Thanks 🙂

MartynS

Ohh so much!!

round roman lakes area you said you know..

get on the canal to new mills, pick up the sett valley trail and head off to Hayfield, up chinley churn, over to middle moor…

stay on canal and get to Whaley bridge, you can get off road to Buxton.

i don’t have a GPS, I believe the Garmins are good though.

The vgraphics guide books are good. Or buy OS maps digitally, £25 for the whole country, you can plot and follow routes on your phone!

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Second buying the guide book,absolutely loads of stuff in peaks.Id buy the dark peak guide by Jon Barton,easy to follow.

marps85
    Free Member

Ah great thanks, I’ll add them to the list. Yeah I’ve read about the o/s app, I’ll give that a try before committing to the meatier cost of a Garmin. You’d have thought Google would have manoeuvred into this space more for the outdoor pursuits (though probably a good thing they haven’t…)

timbog160

Outdoors gps is my go to app – never used a gps since I’ve had it…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Park at roman lakes and bin in the cafe and the sell.a superb book for about £2 that will give you a great basis.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Trails South Manchester / Peak District’ is closed to new replies.