Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trails in the New Forest from Burly
  • 4roads
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden good Trail loops from Burly area in the New Forest ?

any advice welcomed

gpx files ?

thanks

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty of loops or out and back.

Get a map from the bike shop, there’s loads on it.

I only use Garmin, but you’ll see zillions of routes on Strava you can nick.

kerley
    Free Member

What do you mean by trail loop?  If you mean single track then it is scattered around Burley but be aware <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>you are not supposed to ride </span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>on it so be prepared if you get challenged by any ramblers or dog walkers.</span>

Go towards the old railway (1.2 mile from Burley) and turn right across the road from car park and that is where some starts.  You can then loop around for about 14 miles with a mix of single track and fire roads.

scaredypants

Are you a new local or just coming on holiday ?

NF is pretty wet currently, though the “good” underlying ground is still reasonably hard with just a couple of inches of shite on top.  Give it another few days of rain (we’re actually due a dryish week this week but regardless) and there’ll be plenty of areas that are approaching unrideable.  When it goes, it really goes IME

40mpg

If you are local, have a look at either http://www.newforce.org.uk or Dorset rough riders. Both clubs ride regularly in the forest and you’ll learn loads of good routes with them.

Otherwise, what sort of distance are you looking at doing? Gentle tour or singletrack tech stuff? I’ve been riding in the forest for over 30 years so can give a few pointers 😁

4roads
    Free Member

Hi All

I’m coming down for 2 days tomorrow

so the first day looking at a circa 30 mile route – with a nice food stop

2nd day I guess 20 mile

general trail xc routes no mad black runs .. 🙂

cheers

kerley
    Free Member

general trail xc routes no mad black runs

No danger of finding those.  It is all pretty dull (lived in Burley for 20 years) and as I said up there, you are not really allowed to ride on most of the xc routes around Burley.  The only legal routes are fire roads marked up with little bike signs and route number.

Saying that, there are loads of gravel roads with small bits of road and single track to join them all together but the fact I use a bike with 25c tyres to ride on them all gives an idea of how challenging it is…

redstripe
    Free Member

I live here, as above, the official tracks are just that, gravel tracks that aren’t challenging, the bike shop in Burley has the crap maps or plenty to use via Strava. That said you can build some nice loops and it’s looking good at the moment with the autumnal colours. There are certainly places you can get more challenging rides near Burley ahem, it is getting much wetter though, but as 40mpg says might be best to contact Dorset Rough Riders or Newforce for local knowledge, and etiquette. Still bonkers there’s many miles of trails horses and walkers can go but not bikes, won’t go off on that one now.

vmgscot

It’s such a shame, all my early mountain biking years was on the hundreds of miles of pony paths and singletrack thoughout the forest and then came The Ban… I now live in Scotland 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trails in the New Forest from Burly’ is closed to new replies.