Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Trails at Golfie
  • militantmandy
    Free Member

A lot of the golfy stuff is quite easy to ride slow, being as they are trails not world cup DH tracks… so not many jumps/gaps you have to be on pace to hit or chicken line round. You can just plop over most but it’s different to be able to do a full top to bottom at race pace.

A fair statement, although there is some stuff that is steep or committed enough that you can’t really bimble down it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d not even consider that on my Ebike. Also go round the back side climb up old Caberstone Road it’s far nicer than the push up.

Done it before – remember it being tough but looking at your suggestion, you reckon drop down the bottom half of Feed The Pony, along the road and then spin up the old forest road? How long does that take?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Done it before – remember it being tough but looking at your suggestion, you reckon drop down the bottom half of Feed The Pony, along the road and then spin up the old forest road? How long does that take?

It’s not that bad from memory, sub 30 mins on a normal bike at a reasonable pace? It’s fairly mellow until you get through the gate into the trees where its a bit punchy & slick, but that bits not too long & the top is all easily pedalable too.

It is certainly more appealing than going up the push up that runs next FtP. I went up that on an ebike & even on that, it was disgusting.

stcolin
    Free Member

A fair statement

Perhaps, but maybe for a fairly decent rider who has the skillset. Believe me, I’ve ridden the golfie very slowly, and if I try to slow to a snails pace to get down a steep tight section for example, I’m going down. I had this exact experience on No Social. I spent 50% of it on my arse as it was so steep I was just trying to go as slow as I could.

singlespeedstu

you reckon drop down the bottom half of Feed The Pony, along the road and then spin up the old forest road? How long does that take?

Yes. Much more pleasant, I hate that pushup its bloody horrible.
    Looking at my Garmin log from yesterday it was 16 minutes on the Ebike. From memory it was around half hour on a normal bike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cool, maybe try that then. Cheers Hob-Nob/SSS.

BoardinBob

It’s not that bad from memory, sub 30 mins on a normal bike at a reasonable pace

But the push up is only 20-25 minutes🤔

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

But the push up is only 20-25 minutes

I’ve never pushed it, and went down Walk or Burn to the fire road, then round to the dead end.

That said, a ‘bike ride’ to me isn’t pushing my bike up a hill for 25 minutes, to ride down it for 3. I’d rather pedal round.

chakaping
    Free Member

But the push up is only 20-25 minutes

Have you done both Bob?

The pedal is far more civilised and worth an extra 10 mins or whatever.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Whats the climb around the back like? If I’m looking at the right thing on google then I can’t even see evidence of a road/track, just grass!

BoardinBob

That said, a ‘bike ride’ to me isn’t pushing my bike up a hill for 25 minutes, to ride down it for 3.

Weird logic. I’ll pedal for an hour+ to do 7 minute descent. Never once considered how I get to the top of a trail Vs the descent time

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Weird logic. I’ll pedal for an hour+ to do 7 minute descent. Never once considered how I get to the top of a trail Vs the descent time

Not really, a bike ride is a bike ride, not into going for a walk with my bike. Did enough of that crap, racing DH years ago.

To be fair, it’s a non issue for me now anyway – i’ll ebike the other way round in ~15 mins.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I think the pedal up round back from Walkerburn is only worth it on the rare occasion you are in Walkerburn And want to do feed the pony again, or no social.

But if at the bottom of big baw I wouldn’t go dropping down to go round the back climb.

mahalo

just vomited at the thought of that doing that climb twice in one day!!

would No Social be worth a spin down if we’re pushing to the top of Feed The Pony as well?

singlespeedstu

If I’m looking at the right thing on google then I can’t even see evidence of a road/track, just grass!

Turn left out the cafe and head along the road for about a mile.
    Turn left where the big Caberstone gates are.
    Head up the fireroad until just before it finishes.
    Turn left through the gate and head up the track through the woods.
    Turn left at the top and go up again on open moor land.

LD
    Free Member

So to summarise for the OP (part 2).
    Up to top – Repeat Offender
    Back up – Waterworld into Boner
    Traverse round, push up to FTP
    Up track East of Walkerburn to top of No Social.
    Back up to Hangover/RSC/FW/CS etc and collapse.

lucky7500

Do the ‘old Caberston forest’ climb first to start with no social, then ride everything else you fancy and finish with the push up to feed the pony if inclined.
    Honestly the pedal up option isn’t an awful lot more pleasant than the push up unless you are on an ebike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. See how we feel but suspect we’ll be pushing.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

In fact, if we have the legs, is there an option to climb back up from Walkerburn to the main Golfie trails without going all the way back up to the golf course so we could do FTP and then maybe finish with a bit of a climb and then Spanner or something back into Inners?

BoardinBob

is there an option to climb back up from Walkerburn to the main Golfie trails without going all the way back up to the golf course

Yes

From the farm at the bottom of pony at Walkerburn, follow this fireroad back up to the main trails. It’s a fair slog though

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/fireroad-24388/

mashr

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

In fact, if we have the legs, is there an option to climb back up from Walkerburn to the main Golfie trails without going all the way back up to the golf course so we could do FTP and then maybe finish with a bit of a climb and then Spanner or something back into Inners?

From the bottom of FTP there is also the option to head across the Valley and finish on a trail on that side instead. You just head up using the normal uplift fireroad, so just a fairly standard grind up as high as you can be bothered with at the end of the day. It does mean you can finish off with something fun like Angry Sheep

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thanks (again). Both options might be a go-er…

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Trails at Golfie’ is closed to new replies.