Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trail/guiding/leaders qualification. Which one….?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’m sure there are plenty of courses to choose from, but I have been drawn to the MIAS MTB leaders award qualification but a few differing sources. Does anyone here have input into which would be the most comprehensive, and flexible qualification considering the uses planned below?

Occasional guiding for organised groups abroad in higher Alpine, and more gentle trails (in France too).
    More regular guiding/skills courses in the UK and taking groups of younger teenagers on day trips.

I know a guiding quali is not always required, but i quite fancy the experience and having an internationally recognised qualification.

Any perspectives warmly welcomed…
    Lard.

robgude

The only current legal route to MTB guiding in the Alps is to have a recognised UK qualification – British Cycling Level MTB Leader Level 3 and to hold the International Mountain Leader Award. This has been tested in the French courts. The final part – common to all Guides,coaches Leaders etc is to register with the French Sports Ministry – this is the ‘Carte Professional’. This is renewed every 3 years.
    The IML bit is difficult to get if you are not a mountaineer and is a bit OTT – but this is the only way at the moment. Some Brits have done this.
    BC are working with other countries at the moment, including France on a common platform for MTB leaders which would make the IML route unnecessary. This will be Level 4. It will require the setting up of a professional body to represent and manage MTB Leaders.
    Lots of people ignore this of course and have ended up in hot water, the majority get away with it.
    Not what people want to hear of course but this is how it is at the moment.

mc
    Free Member

Rob has covered the issues of guiding in France.

I’d say the biggest deciding factor would come down to insurance. If you plan to work privately, then it doesn’t make much difference, as it’s up to you to get suitable insurance.
    Working for someone else, it’ll depend on what they/their insurance require.
    Working with a club, it’ll depend on who they’re affiliated with, and/or their insurance, but I suspect most clubs are affiliated to BC, in which case the new BC qualifications are your only realistic option.

With any of the BC awards, provided you have BC membership and a valid first aid certificate, then you do get insurance which covers you up to their set leader/rider ratios.

I’ve just finished my MBL, but all the old (S)MBLA awards (TCL/MBL) stop being awarded at the end of the year, and are being replaced with the BC MTB leader awards level 2 and 3.

papercutout
    Free Member

I’ve got MIAS level 1 and 2, and if you are already confident with how to ride and bike and how to maintain a bike, it’s an easy course. What it really does is highlight things that’re common sense – like taking the right spares, considering other people, etc, etc. It’s a good course to do, and I’ll be doing Level 3 very soon.

I didn’t realise I’d need a IML certificate to guide in France,but there’s always Austria, Italy, Slovenia etc!

matt_outandabout

Just remember if you are with the ‘new’ UKCC courses via BC or SC, then they will make up a new course or downgrade existing courses through lack of foresight – just to make sure the coaches are busy and income is coming in….

If you are looking towards alps, as said you will need to look at ML to IML route alongside cycling tickets. This again will be a benefit, as my UKCC L2 cycling was one of the poorest NGB courses I have been on in 20 years outdoors.

robgude

mc has raised the issue of insurance – don’t forget if your insurers think you are taking the piss i.e. you are working beyond your remit, they won’t pay out.
    It is always slightly different in each country but worth pointing out what will happen if you have a bad accident whilst working, or being perceived to be working, in the Alpine countries. You will be immediately taken to a police station and questioned. You will be expected to be able to provide evidence of valid and current qualification (license)and Carte Prof or equivalent. If you can’t do this you will be locked up until you can. It’s a pretty intimidating process. I have colleagues that have gone through this. The Swiss seem to be the toughest but it isn’t much sweeter in France.
    Lets hope the current work on a common International MTB Leadership qualification, bears fruit. It will be the first time this has ever been done this way in the outdoor industry, it’s usually done back to front. Many of you may have reservations about BC but they are the only people who the other nations will work with as they are the NGB.

lardman
    Free Member

OK, thanks for all your replies.

I guess the main reason for me doing this, is to guide and provide skills classes in the UK.

The overseas part would probably NOT be in France however. I have a family friend who runs a large holiday company and in the past they have asked me to stand in for a week here or there to cover one of their local guides who was out of action. They are however planning to move an operation to the Alps, maybe French Alps. It’s for this reason i wanted to have a stream of qualifications that COULD be upgraded to cover this area too!.

The holiday company would be sorting insurance for the weeks abroad, so will do some more investigation with their insurer to find out what they would need.

So, the BC levels look like the way to go then, as a preparation for an international certification?
    I’ll have a look at that from now on then.

Thanks all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trail/guiding/leaders qualification. Which one….?’ is closed to new replies.