Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trailgator type tow alongs..
  • Tasso
    Free Member

Any alternatives to consider to a Trailgator?

We have a competent 5 year old and an 18month old to lug around now. The five year old can do a fair distance under his own steam but we would like to go further afield.

Although I have a trailer bike I can’t see it being used a great deal as it’s heavy and cumbersome to take away.

tonyd

So you want/need to be able to attach/detach his bike? I guess so if you want to go further, otherwise I’d say look for a second hand Islabike trailerbike or similar. It attaches to a rack so is very stable and doesn’t wobble about so much – seems like those that attach to the childs own bike tend to just look really odd and uncomfortable.

I have a trailerbike and LOCT combo which works well, if a little tiring!

wwaswas

If you decide on the trailgator give me a shout – I have one that only got used twice, I’m sure we can sort a price etc out.

clubber
    Free Member

The thing is trailgators work really well and you can get them for £45 or so you’re not going to save loads of money getting something cheaper and they’re really good at being able to be detached and the ride separately once you’re somewhere safe.

garage-dweller

Follow Me

Bang it in your favourite search engine.

Expensive but ours will see 2 kids worth of use before we sell on.

It is brilliant in use and my wife who is nut a confident rider feels totally relaxed using it with our eldest attached and he’s got some legs on him!

brassneck

If you go trailgator, make sure it’s all clamped down tight. Construction from new is a bit fiddly, and I didn’t get it quite right first time.. No. 2 son started leaning dramatically when he got a bit tired of pedalling and balancing, but it’s fine after clamping it down properly.

Make sure it fits the headtube of his bike too, it only just fit our 16″ wheel Hot Rock.

bokonon
    Free Member

We have a trail angel, which is a barely disguised copy of a trailgator, works really well for the boy, have taken it off road on simple fire road type stuff no problems.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Having used both extensively, I’d go for a folding alu tagalong rather than a trailgator. I never found we rode and then unhitched, it was more ride unhitched or ride hitched.

Trailgator shredded the headtube on fuzzhead jr #1’s bike despite keeping the headtube mount super tight.

Tracey

We used a Trailgator with Abigale when she was three. Dragged her around most of the trail centres and regular rides in the Peak. Never had a problem with it and in hindsight it shouldn’t have gone where we took it. She loved every minute of it. Could probably do with another one so she can drag me round.

clubber
    Free Member

I never found we rode and then unhitched, it was more ride unhitched or ride hitched.

When Clubber Jnr was learning to ride a bike, I used to ride to the park, unhitch then let him learn.

Now, I use it to ride to the trails, detach then allow Clubber Jnr to ride on his own. Obviously it depends how or what you ride.

Trailgator shredded the headtube on fuzzhead jr #1’s bike despite keeping the headtube mount super tight.

They will unless you use some form of padding – I put road inner tubes on mine and it’s left no marks and not moved so far.

Tasso
    Free Member

Ah, the follow me tandem looks the ticket if a bit pricey, thanks for the comments.

It is a case of wanting to unhitch. Our eldest is perfectly capable of riding several miles on his own and a bit of off road but being five has it’s limitations.

I did look at a trailgator earlier today. Seems good value at a third of the cost but can see it would be a bit inferior.

booktownman
    Free Member

Bought a trail gator 2nd hand on eBay, sold it on for the same money when the kids had finished with it. They’re popular and hold value well if you buy 2nd hand.

tomlevell

Trailgator.
    Cheap, functional and works.
    I’m not shy of spending money on kids bike stuff but I can’t see past them to the 5 times more pricey follow me.

Got our second one from Halfords last week for £41 on click and collect and finally got round to doing some singletrack and steeper descents. They both appear to love being out on them.

Untitled by tomlevell, on Flickr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trailgator type tow alongs..’ is closed to new replies.