Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trailer/Chair/Helmets
  • Scamper
    Free Member

I presume at 6 months getting to the stage where we’ll be thinking about this for the nipper.

Any advice or suggestions regarding purchases?

Does not have to be suitable for the DANGEROUS braking bumps or Werewolf slope at Cannock. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Think carefully about a helmet in the trailer – most trailer seats the helmet will get pushed forward and be both uncomfortable and not as effective as it might be.

As they are strapped in a seat with a roll bar and you will (I guess) only pootling about is a helmet really needed?

Is the childs neck strong enough to cope with the weight of a helmet?

Only you know the right answer to this for you but its certainly worth a bit of careful and realistic thought

Brycey
    Free Member

I saw no reason for a helmet in the trailer as I felt it was fully enclosed, and as TJ says it would have pushed her head forward. Each to their own though.

brassneck

Think carefully about a helmet in the trailer – most trailer seats the helmet will get pushed forward and be both uncomfortable and not as effective as it might be.

I saw no reason for a helmet in the trailer as I felt it was fully enclosed, and as TJ says it would have pushed her head forward. Each to their own though.

+1 more

Mine wore helmets in the child seat, but they went in neither trailer nor child seat till they were strong enough to support their own head fully, around 10 months for my 3.
    EDIT – sitting unaided was another indicator for me.

Youngest did go for a ride strapped into his car seat, strapped into the trailer, all lived to tell the tale.

stevew
    Free Member

Agree with all above.

Re the helmet, both my boys have always worn helmets in the seat and the trailer but agreed that it is less needed in the trailer.

I have always sought out helmets with a flat profile on the back of the helmet, this stops their head being pushed forward as rightly pointed out by some above – specialized and abus have been good for this for my two little ‘uns.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i think you will struggle to find a helmet small enough for a 6month old. we have the tiniest giro and that was a bit big for my daughter at over 1 year.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shurly shome mishtake?

aracer
    Free Member

Think carefully about Don’t use a helmet in the trailer

FTFY

It’s quite scary being more anti-helmet than TJ, but in this case I have rather more experience than him. Have never put a helmet on my kids in the trailer, and they’ve never banged their head, despite me rolling it a couple of times. A helmet does far more harm than good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was trying to be very moderate and not bring the wrath of STW down on my head.

aracer
    Free Member

Well done, keep taking the pills 😉

jonathan
    Free Member

That book cover is awesome 🙂

We started in a trailer at 3 months – in a well design “baby harness”, with extra support and padding etc. No helmet. Only times ours have ever worn a helmet in a trailer is when they’ve insisted on as they want to wear what mum and dad were wearing – they usually came off in a coplemof miles.

I’ve never liked the idea of child seats. The whole stick them up high with no protection when they fall from said height thing gives me the willies, although I suspect that says more about my riding style than actual child safety issues. Rolled the trailer a good few times with no ill effects 😉

aracer
    Free Member

That book cover is awesome

It’s Canadian. Like our trailer. Which came with instructions insisting you always put a helmet on your little one in the trailer. Also a speed limit of 15mph – less than half the maximum speed I achieve on most rides using it, and less than our usual average speed! How naughty am I?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – check the little ones helmet

aracer
    Free Member

Oh – I so missed that 😳

garage-dweller

Not used a trailer yet but for the child seat we assess ride by ride on the risks.

Am trying to get him (nearly 3) comfy with the idea of helmet wearing so when he should wear one he does so without complaining. He has outgrown the first helmet and on the second now.

No issue with his comfort in the seat.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Having watched my wife fall off her bike with our daughter on the back in the seat (chain dropped off the front rings causing a stall), i will not put her in her seat without a helmet.

The seat (hamax) was brilliant, the bike went over and my daughter was well secured within it, but her head did fall to the side, and if she were the size she is now (it happened last summer) she would have banged her head on the tarmac.

If she were in a trailer i would not be so worried, neither am i when she is playing around, but in the seat she is in a fixed harness and therefore more likely to bang her head.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trailer/Chair/Helmets’ is closed to new replies.