Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trailer attachment options – thru axle, bolt through or QR adaptor?
  • dmorts

I’m looking to attach a trailer to a Ragley Bluepig that has a 12 x 142mm thru axle at the rear. The trailer is designed for QR skewers. There are thru axles in existence from the Robert Axle Project that will do this, but they are incredibly expensive…. especially seeing as the trailer was only £30 secondhand.

My fall back is some QR dropouts for the Ragley frame and a longer QR skewer. It’s a Hope hub so I could put a 10mm bolt thru axle on there, but the axle would still need something for the trailer bracket to bolt onto.

If there are any other thru axle options out there I think it would be a better solution. Anyone know of any?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thule make a thru axle adapter but they are a similar price to the Robert Axle ones.

I’m not sure I understand your question though. If you can put a regular QR hub on there, that would work fine.
    Do you have the trailer hitch that attaches to the QR?
    You don’t normally need a longer QR, the standard one is fine.

joebristol

I had this issue and found the same through axle options as you did that were expensive. I decided to sell the trailer and have just ordered a weeride instead!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I got a burley they axle adapter from amazon. Was £42 which was a bit cheaper than the Robert axle project from what I can remember.

You need to know the pitch thread for the axle you require though. It may be written on it.

jimplops

I have a 142×12 Robert axle project that’s no longer needed, can check the actual over all length later if you’re interested as axles are all different lengths and thread pitch.

dmorts

I’m not sure I understand your question though. If you can put a regular QR hub on there, that would work fine.

Ideally, I don’t want the rear to be QR, either for use with the trailer or without. The trailer is designed for QR attachment but I’d prefer something a bit beefier.

jimplops, YGM

grantyboy
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Robert Axel project going spare is jimplops doesn’t fit

dmorts

Had a look last night, my current axle is 12mm diameter, 159mm length with a 1.5mm thread pitch. The Robert Axle part number is KID212.
    I would also have a use for an axle that’s 12mm diameter, 174mm (180mm without spacer) length with a 1.75 pitch. The Robert Axle part number for that is KID211.

dmorts

I’m still looking for an axle if anyone has one.

Either 12mm diameter, 159mm length with a 1.5mm thread pitch. The Robert Axle part number is KID212.

Or, 12mm diameter, 174mm (180mm without spacer) length with a 1.75 pitch. The Robert Axle part number for that is KID211.

Bigmantrials

Could you get a Rubber coated P Clip, fasten it around the chainstay and then bolt the trailer too that?

nedrapier

I went for the Burley one too. From Triton Cycles. I was building up a new bike, so it went on the new bike ticket rather than a 2nd hand/nearly free trailer ticket, where it would have stuck out a bit more.

dmorts

The Burley ones seem to be almost as expensive as the Robert Axle…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trailer attachment options – thru axle, bolt through or QR adaptor?’ is closed to new replies.