Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trail tool – Fix it sticks or blackburn switch
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

Any one tried any of these. Looking for something along these lines.

Im not a huge fan of the rounded ends on the blackburn tool but open to feedback or recommendations.

these will not be used anywhere other than the trail

honourablegeorge

FixIT Stick I found fragile and generally crap, bits fell off, T part rounded off.Junk, basically.

Joe

Is this any lighter than carrying a classic park tool?

Joe

But also… most of the serious long distance racer types I know tend to just carry pro grade loose Allen keys in a small pouch. Realistically you need a 4mm/5mm and maybe a couple of others depending on how your bike is built. Lighter, better quality and less more dextrous to use!

rootes1

Blackburn Big Switch Multi Tool looks neat especially as it has a chain breaker.

i have been using:
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mini-tools/1075-ratchet-rocket-lite-dx

neat little kit, though no breaker

winston
    Free Member

I had the switch – the rounded ends make it almost totally unuseable and I threw it away after killing a couple of bolts.

I’m generally a fan of rounded allen keys but Its one of a long list of blackburn products that have disappointed to the extent I would never buy anything from the brand again.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ratchet rocket.

Its so bloody useful i grab it for car work aswell.

jjxray
    Free Member

I use the topeak alien 2. Perhaps overkill for most but it does have a chain breaker and it has saved my ass a couple of times with it’s variety of tools…

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Interesting. the rounded hex was a concern and appears to be a weak point.

also good idea about normal hex keys

joebristol

I’ve been happy enough with my Topeak Hexus something. Paid about £12 delivered and it has all the usual size Allen keys on it plus some Torx bits, a chain tool and 2 tyre levers. So cheap I bought 2 so both the mtb bag and road bike bag have one in.

I wouldn’t use it for home maintenance (got some nice Wera Allen leysnetc for that) but it’s done the job on the trail so far.

honourablegeorge

As far as minimalist tools go, I really like this

Joe

That is a nice tool Honuorable George… ordered!

dovebiker

I’ve had one of those Park Tools for nigh-on 20 years – the accuracy of the forging isn’t too good so the small Allen keys are pretty useless, plus the flat screw-driver blade on the end means there’s lots of tight spaces it won’t fit. It’s one redeeming feature is the combination hex-spanners, particularly if you have a rack / mudguards.

colournoise

I have two sets of Fix It Sticks. One in my Fabric Keg and the other I actually use in the ‘workshop’. My first set must be seven or so years old and still going strong. Also have a Ratchet Rocket but find the sticks less fiddly to use.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trail tool – Fix it sticks or blackburn switch’ is closed to new replies.