Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trail Shoes, which would you choose?
  • popartpoem
    Free Member

My Specialized BG Comp’s have finally succumbed to the beatings and are falling apart, so I’m looking to replace them.

I like the efficiency and look of rigid soled XC race type designs, the skate pump style is not really my cup of tea (I sound more like my dad every day) … any views on what’s good or otherwise for up to £90 ish?

ton

spesh tahoe here.
    used bg which are ace, but i tend to walk up stuff a bit more now.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Hi Ton,

I have some Tahoe’s; I agree they’re good, but a bit too much like trainer’s for me. I got them for a 6 day bike trek, but reverted to BG’s after 1 day.
    Only wore them the once 😯

ton

what size?

popartpoem
    Free Member

I’ll check … I deliberately ordered up a size & they’re a bit too big … It’s going to be either 46 or 47 if that’s any good?

brakes
    Free Member

about a month ago I was in the same position as you – battered BG comps which I loved apart from the sole wasn’t stiff enough and they were feeling a bit baggy.
    I bought some Giro Gauge shoes which I reckon have to be made by the same people who make the BG comps as they are very similar but have a carbon composite (Easton plastic) sole which is a lot stiffer and less clumpy, they are lighter, and generally deal with the things I didn’t like about the BG Comps.
    Great shoes – used every day on the road bike and on the mountain bikes on weekends.

ton

yes mate, let me know.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Before I opened the thread, I immediately thought “Spesh BG Comps” 🙂

If I were you I’d just get another pair the same! All these fancy ratchets and clips on the ‘spensive shoes just break and stop working in mud anyway, so for reliability you can’t beat laces and/or velcro!

popartpoem
    Free Member

Thanks “Brakes” … Whilst it’s not going to break the bank, I think they’re 50% on the budget I’m trying to keep to – aren’t they c£150, or did you get a good deal?

popartpoem
    Free Member

yes mate, let me know.

Ok, it’ll be this evening.

brakes
    Free Member

blimey, I paid £110 for them from Wiggle – they were discounted, but not from the £170 they appear to be at now.
    sorry, they’re not worth that much!

popartpoem
    Free Member

If I were you I’d just get another pair the same! All these fancy ratchets and clips on the ‘spensive shoes just break and stop working in mud anyway, so for reliability you can’t beat laces and/or velcro!

Funny you should say that, the BG’s I have are the model with a ratchet strap and the only thing I can fault on them is that it get’s jammed full of mud. Overall though, they have been very good. Spesh seem to have upped the price quite a lot though.

popartpoem
    Free Member

what size?

Details sent to your email 🙂

Basil

Mavic Switchback’ ost excellent.

hambl90
    Free Member

Had the spesh bg’s like you , found them to be very good but couldn’t afford the latest ones when mine fell apart so bought some 2nd hand sidi’s and they are even more comfortable , try evilbay.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Sidi’s … Now that’s nirvana … Getting them at the right price will be a challenge.

I popped into the LBS, who stock Shimano shoes. We had a look at the 2012 range, (albeit in the catalogue because they don’t have stock yet). The XC50N shoe looks good & Shimano seem to be bucking the price hike trend and producing everyday shoes close to everyday prices.

I’m tempted to wait for the stock to arrive.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d been using Spesh Rockhopper and Buzzsaw shoes up until this year when I switched to Shimano MP66 and haven’t looked back since.

P20

I don’t really like my BG Comps, prefered my older shimanos, but they were cheap in the sale 😀 Most of the time i use my shimano goretex mt70. Stiff enough, good for walking and comfy

ajantom

I’m a big fan of the Shimano MT41s. Not really XC racer type styling, but then again not skate shoe styling either.

Very comfy fit (for me anyway), good solid laces/velcro, stiff sole, chunky,/grippy sole for walking bits.
    They do come up a bit small – so go for 1 EU size bigger than normal.

ona29er
    Free Member

I use Shimano MT41 (i think) spd’s. They have mesh sides, laces and velco strap. Bought one size up to use with Seal skinz in the winter – absolutely brilliant (snow, rain, whatever, toes stay toasty). Use all year round on all trails plus occasional road work. Stiff sole but can still walk ok. Price was not too bad ~£50ish. Would certainly consider another pair.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve just settled the same question on a pair of Shimano M183N (very slightly over your budget but close if you shop around)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shimano-m183n-shoes-experiences

All these fancy ratchets and clips on the ‘spensive shoes just break and stop working in mud anyway

You’d think so. Just like rapid fire shifters. The real world experience for me at least says otherwise. In fact I’d say they’re much better in mud as they don’t lose grip like velcro can and laces just never seem to work very well on an offroad shoe IME.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve not long had some Mavic’s, really comfy.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trail Shoes, which would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.