Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trail running shoes – help?
  • tomkerton
    Free Member

I want to do the Eastnor castle Icebreaker event in a couple of months as there’s a 20km MTB route around my local patch.

Unfortunately it’s preceded by a 10km trail run through wet and muddy conditions.

So I need advice for which shoes to (a) train in for the running bit and (b) do the event in.

Training shoes – gore tex or breathable +sealskins?

Event – any point in trying to stay dry? Football boots for extra grip?

highclimber
    Free Member

I would just accept getting wet feet – waterproof running shoes are not waterproof on account of the huge hole you put your foot in!

depending on how much of the run is off road I would avoid road type running trainers and opt for a pair of dedicated trail runners. Take a look at (and go and try on) some Inov8 shoes.

Edit: if it’s all muddy etc then go for full fell type shoes with deep open cleats like the Inov8 Mudclaws or X-Talons

mogrim

No point trying to keep your feet dry while running: it’s not like biking where wet feet = cold feet.

Will you be training (nearly) exclusively on trails, or are you likely to be doing a fair bit of road too?

davetrave
    Free Member

Goretex shoes are pointless, whether for training or racing – the ankles are too low, they’ll soon fill up with water and then the membrane will hold it in, result = blisters. Anyway, all depends on your budget and whether you’ll keep using them afterwards, or will want to get rid, also – how muddy?

More expensive/popular shoes like Inov8, Salomon, etc, will find a ready second-hand market through the FRA’s forum Sales & Wants if you only want them for a short while/don’t intend to keep up the running. Salomon Crossmax, Inov8 Roclite, La Sportiva Raptor all worthy of consideration in this bracket, or for really muddy conditions Fellcross, X-Talon/Mudclaw, Crosslite from the 3 manufacturers respectively.

Less expensive but still re-sellable would be things like the More Mile Cheviots, which tend to get very good reviews on the FRA forum.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Mudclaws.

ahwiles
    Free Member

how muddy is muddy?

A) a few puddles on a gravel path?

B) round a field – that’ll quickly turn to a mud bath.

C) waist-deep slime?

which shoes? – comfy ones*, with grip to suit. Don’t worry about water-proofing your running shoes, it’s pointless.

(*this may take a little trial and error, the internet cannot help you)

molgrips
    Free Member

Sportsshoes.com are good, and they seem to have lots of pretty aggressive discounts. I got some Innov8 mud/snow/ice monster things for £30 instead of £90.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Thank you all very much.

The event is very muddy apparently, almost an assault course.

I plan to train exclusively on trails, I’m only want to be able to get round and get to the bike! I’m not looking for a time.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I did the Icebreaker last year. I used Salomon Speedcross 2’s. They were as good as anything else I think. You really need something with good bite. For serious off-road running then waterproof doesn’t make much sense as you are running through puddles/rivers/mud and water gets in over the top.

Fun event, I’ll probably go back.

12fifty
    Free Member

I’m currently using Adidas Kanadias…really grippy and sturdy for a pretty lightweight shoe, haven’t come loose in some pretty sketchy descents.

But this is flinty/muddy fields/rooty/forest type terrain.

stever
    Free Member

I’d give the Cheviots a go, definitely at the grippier end of the spectrum and cheaper than almost anything else.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Thank you, I’m set to go try on tomorrow.mlike the look of the Cheviots and the mudclaws.

Mtbmatt – let me know if you sign up!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Inov8 as long as you don’t have wide feet or Salomon if you don’t need a neutral shoe.

dryroasted
    Free Member

For training i use innov8 talons with seal skins, great in winter keeps feet dry and warm, no good for summer as feet get too hot, they work fine for me

surfer
    Free Member

You need a pair of running shoes with maybe a slightly aggresive sole such as Nike Pegasus. Lots of the major brands do a “trail” running shoe which have a reasonable midsole etc

Stay clear of Inov8/Walsh and Salomon. All good shoes but mainly for Fells and quite hostile conditions as oppose to “trail”

mtbmatt
    Free Member

You need a pair of running shoes with maybe a slightly aggresive sole such as Nike Pegasus. Lots of the major brands do a “trail” running shoe which have a reasonable midsole etc

Only if you want to be left floundering at the bottom of the slippery uphills. It’s not a trail race.

Conditions for the Icebreaker are roughly:
    10k run – Bit of everything, first 5km mostly easy going. Second half is on the land rover “proving ground” and there are quite a few steep, muddy slopes where you are either pulling yourself up using the foliage or have grippy shoes.
    Bike – Bit of everything. Not technical and has a few very deep puddles.
    3k run – Through rivers, swamps and muddy holes. Do your shoes up tight, or you will loose them! 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

it’s preceded by a 10km trail run through wet and muddy conditions.

This.

You dont need fell shoes for this. They are great for.. well… fells but the very low profile and lack of cushioning in even the Solomans make them useless for much else (I know because I have a pair, amd Inov 8 mudclaw’s/290’s and another one which i cant remember) If you want a pair of shoes for some mud, grass and then to use them for mixed terrain later then go for a rugged shoe with a good outersole that is also suited for the road.

Weasel
    Free Member

I have used a Grangers water repellant/proofing spray which seems to have improved things on my Nike Pegasus trail that are meant to have some sort of water repellant coating.

On a similar note (sorry to hijack) I’m doing a dualthon – short road run/MTB/then XC run. Is it worth buying these fancy shoe laces that do up quickly?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I reckon they saved me a bit of time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trail running shoes – help?’ is closed to new replies.