Trail Runners – What Shoe?

Home Forum Chat Forum Trail Runners – What Shoe?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Trail Runners – What Shoe?
  • nosemineb

Big fan of the inov8’s. Have a look sport pursuit they have some great deals at the moment if you under size 10.
    A low heel may pull your calves a bit to start with so take it easy.
    Once your used to them they’re great. Less roll more control when the going gets rough.
    Edit, the inov8 arrow system is a guide to how much heel drop they have. Start with maybe 3 arrow.
    Edit edit.. http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Roclite-243-Red-Black.html?L=26
    I need these!

alanf

I’ve got brooks cascadia 7 which I find a great offroad shoe, in fact so good I’ve ordered another pair as a back up. An added bonus is that they can be had from sportshoes.com for less than £50 and if you can find a voucher code you’ll get 10% off that and free delivery.

They are a hybrid shoe so can be used on road but really come into their own on the terrain you describe. They don’t have massive lugs on the bottom but do provide a great amount of grip in muddier conditions.

I’ve not tried the newer version 8’s as they are still around full price and as the 7’s have been so good, didn’t see the need to change.
    Runners world rate them highly and I can only agree.

alanf

I’ve got brooks cascadia 7 which I find a great offroad shoe, in fact so good I’ve ordered another pair as a back up. An added bonus is that they can be had from sportshoes.com for less than £50 and if you can find a voucher code you’ll get 10% off that and free delivery.

They are a hybrid shoe so can be used on road but really come into their own on the terrain you describe. They don’t have massive lugs on the bottom but do provide a great amount of grip in muddier conditions.

I’ve not tried the newer version 8’s as they are still around full price and as the 7’s have been so good, didn’t see the need to change.
    Runners world rate them highly and I can only agree.

KINGTUT

I’ve been road running now for 6 months or so and want to start trail running, I have a normalish arch and my road shoes are Saucony Hurricanes which are a support shoe, I’m intrigued by a more minimal trail shoe maybe one with a 4mm drop, would this present problems coming from a shoe like the hurricane, should I stick with a more conventional drop and more cushioning?

I’ll be running fire roads and rooty rocky track.

Premier Icon wonkey_donkey
    Subscriber

Adidas Kanadia £45 here i wouldn’t overthink or overspend this decision too much…. 🙂

mogrim

I’ve been road running now for 6 months or so and want to start trail running, I have a normalish arch and my road shoes are Saucony Hurricanes which are a support shoe, I’m intrigued by a more minimal trail shoe maybe one with a 4mm drop, would this present problems coming from a shoe like the hurricane, should I stick with a more conventional drop and more cushioning?

I’ll be running fire roads and rooty rocky track.

If you’re not injured/suffering from problems, why bother changing to a lower drop shoe?

Anyway, I’ve got some La Sportiva Raptors, great grip, comfortable and noticeably more protection against sharp stones.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

those kanadia’s are comfy, but not what i’d call ‘minimal’ not even a little bit.

how about some new balance 101’s? £40ish – i find mine a nice wide fit, very grippy, not a full on mud-spike/fell-shoe.

out of curiosity i bought some Decathlon Arp 50’s, which are £12, they’re light, bombproof, wide, grippy, comfy, and hold my feet well.

mogrim – Member

If you’re not injured/suffering from problems, why bother changing to a lower drop shoe?

offroad/technical running is all about dancing over/around rocks and roots, thin soles help with the precision needed, and encourage you to land forefoot, which is a good idea on technical ground if you want to avoid spraining an ankle.

all imho of course…

49er_Jerry

I’m a huge fan of New Balance shoes. I’ve got wide feet and they have a very roomy toe box area. Innov8s are really quite narrow (although great shoes).
    I love the minimalist shoe concept, but also use New Balance MT101 that have a 6mm drop. If they fit, and feel comfortable, I would have no hesitation in recommending them. Very good for trails, tracks and also road sections. They are very responsive and give good protection from stones on the trail. Reasonable grip too. Plenty for summer tracks and trails, but not so good for full on winter gloop.

Try before you buy though. Try to get to a running shop that will let you go for a spin round the streets in addition to the routine treadmill.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Saucony Peregrine 3 have a 4mm drop, and are based on the very highly rated kinvara. Saucony also do another trail shoe with a 4mm drop that looks a bit more substantial.

julioflo

I love running in Inov8’s. The minimal think is proving good for me. I’m sure other brands minimal shoes are great too. But i’ve used inov8 for a few years now and they work so sticking with them.

However, currently using the zero drop trailroc 235’s and the upper, the material right where they bend is wearing very quickly and devloping a hole. It seems others have experienced this too….I guess it’s a price to pay for a very lightweight shoe.

clubber

Jeez KT – you really have some funny ideas 🙂 Get back on your bike, FFS!

Pieface

Inov 8’s are good but have a terrible quality control regime.

Kanadia’s are OK and cheap but not exactly low profile.

Brooks Cascadia’s are a good ‘do it all’ shoe, again not exactly low profile.

Is there any particular desire to go low profile? I know that it increases sensitivity and is better for running on more uneven ground, but interested to know what other compulsions there are for going down that route.

If it was me I’d go for Inov8 Terroc’s or something and then if / when the stitching falls apart be prepared to take them back to where you bought them.

surfer

Just run in the shoes you are running in now, you dont need special shoes to run along a “trail” and it may come as a surprise to some but you dont need a belt with gels and drinks bottles either, or a bandana! Sorry and all that 🙄

Premier Icon wonkey_donkey
    Subscriber

sorry i missed the low profile bit in the OP – but as Pieface says any particular reason why?

Just buy some shoes, run in them – too many people overthink running these days.

KINGTUT

sorry i missed the low profile bit in the OP – but as Pieface says any particular reason why?

As I said – intrigued, but perhaps its just the latest fad and I suspect I will be better off with some cush, the addidas do look good and great price.

@surfer I don’t want to **** up my rather expensive( to me) road shoes on rocks etc, noted about the bandana and gel belt, I shall return them to sportsdirect immediately.

@clubber, just cos you cant run 😉

clubber

I can run. Just very badly. I used to be quite fast mind. 😉

surfer

@surfer I don’t want to **** up my rather expensive( to me) road shoes on rocks etc, noted about the bandana and gel belt, I shall return them to sportsdirect immediately.

They werent aimed at you KingTut 🙂

Mary Hinge

Just run in your normal shoes.

Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Currently in my 9th week of not running following injury caused by changing things!

Previously running 25-30 miles per week with no problems 🙁

I should have stuck to my Brooks Adrenaline “road” shoes. Used them on trails, rocks, roots, grass and even on road.

glupton1976

New Balance MT10 are a fine pair of minimalist shoes for running in the hills.

alanf

Just to counter the above “run in your road shoes” – I have found that my road shoes don’t stabilize my feet enough on uneven, rocky trials which leads to tight painful calfs that I don’t get in the ‘trial’ shoes.
    Having said that might not be the case for you.
    Also, road shoes offer zero grip if it gets a big mushy off road IME

r0bh

I wouldn’t get too hung up on stuff like drop, just get a pair of shoes that fit your feet and you like the colour 🙂

I am a fan of the Mizuno Wave Harrier for trail and moderate fell. Full on fell would be Inov-8 Mudclaw.

mogrim

Just run in your normal shoes.

Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

The problem I find with normal shoes is when you hit a stony bit of trail – the lack of forefoot protection is very noticeable. As alanf points out, they’re also crap when it gets muddy (or loose).

(Not that you can’t run on trails in road shoes, of course you can, but trail shoes are better).

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Just changed frm Kanadia’s to Asics Fuji Attack Trail and they’re superb. I’m not a small bloke (15.5 st) and am doing about 30 mile a week on mixed trails and they’re very very good. Crap on wet roads/pavements though.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

A lower profile shoe seems to be more stable over the rough stuff.

oldbloke

Best bet is to get yourself to a decent running shop with a range to try on.

I used to run sockless in Walsh racers, but these days run Adidas Swoop because socks fit better in them for me. Shoe performance isn’t as good, but fit is everything as the miles rack up.

KINGTUT

Thanks for the all the advice, stayed with Saucony and got some Jazz 14 TRs for half price.

My, isn’t trail running good 🙂

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

yes, very.

now enter a fell race!

it’s Grindleford on Thursday…

🙂

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

I’m desperately hoping my blistered heels are in a state I can run Grindleford on Thursday. Fell running is ace 🙂

bikebouy

I’ve been using SportCross 3’s and have gotten used to them now. They have quite a bit of heel padding and some like that, some don’t. I have a high instep and when I bought these for trail running I had to loosen off the cord that’s used to fasten them up, my heels seemed to wobble a bit on the downstroke which was a bit odd, but once used to them and they bedded in a bit alls been fine.
    My mate Jonny who does the 24 hr marathons uses them along with other shoes so all good.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Trail Runners – What Shoe?’ is closed to new replies.