Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trail Riding Near London?
  • Premier Icon kraken2345
    Free Member

So I’ve been locked down in East London and have been riding bikes more with my partner who’s slowly getting into mtbing. We’ve been to Swinley, Epping Forest, Surrey hills and some trails near Maidstone thus far.

She enjoyed Swinley the most, having a route to follow with a set distance gave more of a sense of achievement, plus having the option of trying harder trail features as you go is great for a beginner. As I’m from up North, I’ve no idea of other trail centres in the area, or riding like that, so any places people would recommend? Thanks

Premier Icon razorrazoo
    Free Member

Hadleigh Park is where the 2012 Olympic XC is, a purpose built trail so nearest to Swinley.

I’m Southwest and mix between Surrey Hills and Swinley, though I prefer the former, but you need to know where you are going to get the best of it.  Rogate and QEP are down the A3 but a bit further from you. Rogate is more mini DH/Jump park though.

Premier Icon boombang

There is Bedgebury down in Kent, thought was a bit far maybe but from East London it can’t be much further than Swinley.

Bedgebury isn’t particularly technical, bit pedally and hard work if you are ham footed (is that a term?), but some nice flowy sections for building confidence.

Premier Icon RoterStern
    Free Member

Bit further a field is the South Downs around Brighton and Eastbourne. Not really any MTB trail parks but some great open views at the top of the hills.

Premier Icon ibnchris

Plus one for Bedgebury. But you’ll need a car. Probably only an hours drive depending on how close you are to a13 to escape London. It’s definitely a ‘pedally’ course but I love it.

Premier Icon uniqueusername

There are also MTB trails at the Olympic park in Stratford.
    Never been myself. Can’t imagine they are up to much, but they would be your closest ‘mtb’ trails 😀

Premier Icon kraken2345
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies! I’m happy to drive up to 2 hours away from where we are, hence have been to Swinley. The Olympic park (QEP I think?) could be worth a shout for a shorter ride, rather than taking up a whole day as is often the case.

Hadleigh looks ideal for a trail centre kinda format which is what I used when I first got into mtbing. Think we’ll head there tomorrow and then the other suggestions after that. Cheers everyone

Premier Icon chakaping

There’s plenty at Epping but you’ll want someone to show you round really.

Same goes for the Broxbourne Woods area.

I’ve moved away, or I would offer to guide.

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

“There are also MTB trails at the Olympic park in Stratford.
    Never been myself. Can’t imagine they are up to much, but they would be your closest ‘mtb’ trails”

I’m not going to claim they are anything special but there’s some nice bits in it. Some half decent black XC options to throw in but largely red and blue XC
    I’m not sure it was ‘worth’ the entry fee but [cough] you could join into it from the roads and paths to the sides for most of its length [/cough]. This was late 2014
    Of the two Olympic legacy options, Hadleigh is the better but Stratford is worth riding if you happen to be in the area

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

On the pedally side (I’ve only ridden the tail with the bombholes) but how long would it take to get to Thetford?

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

If you check the mud sweat and gears web/FB they do XC races centred around where you are.
    Some are closed venues but others aren’t and you can just turn up when noone is racing.
    (Hadley and Olympic Park are both on the list)

MSG Eastern

Bedgebury is nice for a pedal but you need a mortgage to park in the offical car park. I only go when Jnr was racing there… its practically the same cost as a days uplift…

There is or was a private park Deers Leap at East Grinstead…

You can check out Tom Cardys YouTube when he was teaching his GF Kara to ride.. (might be useful for your GF anyway) lots of places many will be near you. (Hadleigh/Bedgebury/Deer Leap I remember) Some are just urban practice …
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAuJngFqx81I&psig=AOvVaw1KSX-M6GOEgXCOOC2dA_73&ust=1592504264682000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAMQjB1qFwoTCICBu-i6ieoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Premier Icon FB-ATB

mortgage to park in the offical car park

What’s the parking as a % of the typical bike cost? Plenty of people fill the car park so it can’t be that bad.

Premier Icon ta11pau1

Bedgebury is so expensive to park as it’s a ‘pinetum’ that just so happens to have some mtb trails there.

There is a cheapskates parking spot which isn’t hard to find 😀

Premier Icon Raouligan
    Free Member

There’s loads of riding in Epping the really nice thing is if you’re East it’s very much rideable from the door. You can pick up trails in Forest Gate all the way through the forest, very much a case of just following your nose. Some great bits around Chingford and Highhams park. If it doesn’t rain too much in the next few days it’ll still be running nicely or will be very soon.

I’d be tempted to hang on a bit before travelling.

If you are travelling an early start makes a day in the Peaks completely doable on the train, with the advantage of getting a nice carry out at Sheffield before sitting on the train home!

Premier Icon swanny853

There’s the north downs more generally- for general bimbling there’s the Sevenoaks to Reigate stretch, some singletrack tucked away on limpsfield chart if you can find it.

Premier Icon ampthill

Your also in range of Woburn and Chicksands. Woburn has a short marked trail xc trail. Chicksands is a sort of bike park. Loads of trails around the area. Between Hirchin and Luton is loads of scenic non technical stuff. You could also go west to the ridgeway. Loads of stuff in the chilterns west of dunstable out past the m40

I think this book is very useful as it covers trail centres and bridleway routes

https://www.bikemaps.co.uk/uk-mtb/good-mountain-biking-guide-england-wales.htm

Premier Icon trumpton
    Free Member

Can you make a local route up using the canal network.not sure how safe these are

Premier Icon mattvanders
    Free Member

Try Epping, Danbury or thorndon woods. All have very good trails but are all a bit hidden so either do some strava heat map/segment research or local knowledge once things are back to normal.

Premier Icon Kryton57

There’s loads of riding in Epping the really nice thing is if you’re East it’s very much rideable from the door. You can pick up trails in Forest Gate all the way through the forest, very much a case of just following your nose. Some great bits around Chingford and Highhams park. If it doesn’t rain too much in the next few days it’ll still be running nicely or will be very soon.

Its been mega dry & dust for weeks now.   Todays rain will dampen it down a little but it’ll be fine.

Premier Icon spicer
    Free Member

Hadleigh is pretty tired and worn out, I went again late last year on the xc bike and it wasn’t great.

Bedgebury is a great blast if you’re just after xc, yep it can be pedally but the more you put in the more you get out of it! And a nice pond/cafe to stop at afterward. It should be an acceptable step up from swinley for your OH.

Aston hill if you want to get into DH more- it can get pretty steep there so not really for beginners.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

What’s the parking as a % of the typical bike cost?

What’s “typical bike cost”? £300-£500? My most expensive complete bike was £700 back in 2015…
    My car cost more in 2010 but that’s hardly a reason to pay £12 or whatever to get is washed…

From memory last time a few years ago it was £12.50… and £12.50 is still £12.50.
    I can get a full day at Swinley for £4…. or a full day at Okehill with uplift for £25 or just ride from home.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.