Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Trail manners at GT – Trailquest content
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I rode the Black at GT with a group of mixed abilty guys. Some very good SXC racers and some fun riders. As the lead group spun three abreast along a fire road section, a trailquest competitor, initially 'peep peeped' them. They assumed it was a joke and hesitated for a second. He then rudely swore at them and told them in no uncertain terms he was a 'f**king racer in a f**cking race' and to get out of his f**king way.

One of our number let him past then spun up to him and questioned his attitude. It didnt end well. The guys I was with have ridden SXC for years and have never experienced that behaviour before.

He was the one fly in the ointment in what was a great day's riding.

Trailquest rider on a black Orange, See someone about anger management.

scaredypants

I doubt it was just your group; maybe he was repeatedly held up by people riding 3 abreast & blocking his route (never been to GT but I guess it can be pretty busy at weekends ?)

Did you know a "race" was on ?
    Were you blocking the whole width ?
    I don't see it matters how fast your mates are as racers – they weren't in a race but I'd expect them to sympathise. How would they feel if they were lapping riders in their races but those riders blocked the route ?

pitduck
    Free Member

getting in a racers way,are you mad? 😯

hels
    Free Member

Hence why you should never run races on open trails. In XC races the trails are closed not full of bank holiday punters. I nearly got taken out at GT today by some eejit who clearly never got the memo riding the wrong way down a waymarked trail. No number boards either so you can't tell who they are. Who runs these things ??

nuke

Just to clarify…your mates were riding 3 abreast blocking anyone wanting to overtake, somebody wants to pass and 'peep peeps' politely, your mates don't move, he sees red and starts f-ing?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

He was virtually the only rider we saw on the Black route all day. He wasnt especially 'racey'. We nearly all passed him politely on the next section of singletrack.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The delay between the 'friendly peep peep' and the swearing was in nano seconds. As I said there was nearly no one else around. The guys in front thought it was one of us joking behind them.

You have to question the wisdom of organising a race at a busy trail centre on shared trails.

snakebite
    Free Member

He was virtually the only rider we saw on the Black route all day

You have to question the wisdom of organising a race at a busy trail centre on shared trails.

FAIL

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Snakebite

I used virtually as we did see others. In fact a couple were riding downhill towards us against the flow of the trail.

Trekster

missing the point scaredypants.
    The venue was still open to the public
    Some of those ordinary public riders may not have been aware that there was a "race" being held.
    My reaction to any plonker peep peeping me would have been the same.
    During a race any track would/should be marked and marshalled. Any trailquester whether in a forest or out on the open hillside/bridleway should expect some people may not be so accomodating, esp given this plo&*^rs attitude.
    Must hold my hands up to nearly wiping out some walkers one time when I misjudged my speed on a DH section on marbles down Settle way 😳

On a similar note the young racers at the next SXC are going to get a slap on the lug for their attitude and shoving during the Contin race

GavinB

Sounds pretty daft running a TQ around Glentress on a Bank Holiday without closing the trails. They have run Avalanche Enduros there before, but that was on closed trails, so still left plenty of stuff unaffected elsewhere.

amodicumofgnar

The people to moan at should you want to. Dont think there's anything wrong with trailquests at glentress as area being used will have been much bigger than the forest trails. Plus its not like a race where you get all people trying to be in one place at one time.

All this still doesnt excuse bad attitude – which some people just exude irrespective of the type of event / situation they're in.

grtdkad

Sounds like a complete nob – particularly as anyone who has experience of trailquests will testify, they are not a 'race'.

GavinB

Actually, agree with what you're saying there OAP. Trailquests are not run as races, and don't use a pre-determined 'loop', but sounds like the rider was getting a little 'over-excited'!

druidh
    Free Member

There were a few TQers doing weird stuff today – particularly cycling against the normal flow of traffic. As for it not being a timed event, this is incorrect. My understanding is that there is a maximum time window to visit all the checkpoints, so there is definitely an incentive to be making some speed.

McM – nice to speak to you again. Had to dash as my macca cheese was almost not ordered!

scoobmw
    Free Member

All very bizarre – not sure what peep-peeped means nor Trailquest.
    Reason I say this is that tells me there will be others like me who simply don't know what these things are and won't be aware.
    I will of course now prob go and find out but that's not the point.

Saying all of that I usually know when someone's coming up behind me on the trail and make a point of letting them past and if I'm approaching others on an overtakable bit of trail like Wolftrax today with three abreast in front of me I usually just say can i get past on the right/left etc. Voice usually tells folk it's not their mate behind them.

All in all seems a bit mental to start swearing at folk without waiting a sec though.

scaredypants

missing the point scaredypants.

Really ? – if I was riding (slowly) in a group that was effectively blocking a whole trail/road, I'd be looking over my shoulder now & then to be sure I wasn't getting in somebody's way, whether or not I knew anyone was racing

My reaction to any plonker peep peeping me would have been the same.

What, to not move out of the way ?
    My reaction to "some plonker" hogging a whole fireroad might be to ask them to move (don't suppose it'd be peep peep but if I was riding as fast as I could it might not be a full sentence)

amodicumofgnar

Trailquests – think of them as orienteering on mountain bikes. Usually held of 2-5hrs. Rather than a course there is an area. Usually around 8 or 9km by about 14km. Can be bigger can be smaller. Within the event area there's a number of checkpoints. These have different points values, idea being to get as many points as you can within the time. Take longer than the time given and you loose points.

For examplefrom Dark and White winter league.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Friends did the trailquest while i went for a pootle round the black. Was surprised by the use of walking trails on a bank holiday sunday. Must be risky to say the least. Definitely a few managed to "accidentally" head the wrong way down waymarked routes. There was direction of flow on the maps so no excuse.

They were based out of buzzards nest so a wee word with the organisers might have removed enough points for them to not do it again.

hels
    Free Member

Kevonakona – good idea but you can't identify the riders as they weren't numbered, so no sanctions.

Trekster – were any of the shovey kids at SXC wearing blue and white and black tops ? (If yes please PM me – cheers)

gusamc
    Free Member

mm – Berkshire, Reading, Caversham, bridlepath W along the Thames – a jolly nice ride and ramble, up hill, river views etc.

A bunch of cts had organised a bike race with about 100 numbered competitors and it was near the start – EVERYBODY pushed into the fence by shouting, competing riders – us, ramblers with children, fantastic PR exercise.

We come to a junction (all public,metalled road), marshalled, and we turn up hill, lots of shouting, 'you can't go up there' – why not it's a public road, 'there'll be a race down there in a few minutes, you'll get in the way' – lots of shouting as we headed up.

There is truly something really unpleasant about the arrogance of rather too many cyclists. If you want to race do what everybody else has to do and pay to hire somewhere private.

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you want to race do what everybody else has to do and pay to hire somewhere private.

🙄 are you for real ?

PaulMcG

Morning All

I was the organiser (volunteer, on behalf of the local cycling club) – if you've got issues you want to discuss, I'm happy to. Contact in profile.

OAP's pretty much nailed it with the description of what Trailquest involves.

Competitors were briefed, and instructed to ride one-way trails in the direction marked on the map. Looks like some ignored this. I'll make a comment in the results. Looks like at least one took themselves a bit too seriously as well. I'll also draw attention to this.

We had full FC permission, and we're insured (are you?), to use all the trails marked on our specially drawn map. FYI, the 'Walkers' paths are not on the map, and so can't be used.

'Irresponsible' to hold an event on a Bank Holiday weekend. No more irresponsible than a random punter (i.e. everyone else there) turning up to ride the same 'congested' trails surely?. We deliberately get people out into the far reaches of the forest that most don't know exist, let alone have ridden in.

I'm guessing some on here are confusing Trailquest with XC racing?.

You should come and try one and see what it's about. Pentlands on 6th June from Currie Rugby Club – http://www.trailquest-scotland.co.uk

That's all.

Cheers

Paul

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Paul McG

Thanks to OAPs link to the organising body. I emailed the chairman last night.

I have to say with the exception of that one rider and those riding against the trail flow, the other Trailquesters looked to be having a great day. I was quite inspired to give it a go myself.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is running trailquests in areas like the Pentlands reasonable access? How many competitors are you talking about?

allthepies
    Free Member

gusamc – any idea whose event is was ? Illegal to run races on public rights of way in England.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think there was one on the Purbecks during the STW ride. No real problems apart from one idiot who shouted at a lady riding with us.

1. Shouting "on your right" repeatedly at increasing volume will not help the person in front of you understand what you mean. Try explaining 🙄

2. If you can't overtake someone on a slightly rutted 2m wide bridleway without them moving out of the way, perhaps racing isn't for you 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If you can't shift up through "I'm racing, please move" from "Beep beep" but have to go directly to effing and blinding, you've got problems and should seek therapy.

How "not well" did it end, BTW?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

His behaviour sounds totally out of order to me. If I thought I was going to get sworn at when I went out on my bike I wouldn't go at all. If you're going to race at a trail centre you should expect to find crowds surely. Sounds like this guy has the wrong hobby. Chill.

PaulMcG

Hi TJ

In Scotland, these things tend to get around 50-70 people taking part.

The nature of the event and the wide choice of routes, means that there's a dispersal across a wide area, and that no two (or very few) people take the same routes. So essentially, you've got 60ish people spread across an area of around 100km2.

However, with careful checkpoint placement, you can ensure that specific areas are avoided (like we did at Glentress in the area around Ewok Village which is currently OOB due to harvesting). Thus 'sensitive' trails can be access-managed by organisers to some degree (unlike with 'casual' users).

I'd guess impact is significantly less than the 'normal' MTB load on the Pentlands?. Are all those individuals irresponsible as you seem to be implying?.

Sounds like a lot of misunderstanding going on here.

Also sounds like we had at least one n0b jockey amongst our entrants. Pretty much a cross section of the real world then!.

Cheers

Paul

pastcaring
    Free Member

i think the both parties involved were wrong! treating trails like YOU own them blocking a trail or shouting at other users, just shows no respect for each other. i think everyone involved needs to think about their actions!
    would you behave like that walking down the street? cocks
    funny, i know a couple of riders who are nutters, who would enjoy jumping all over people acting either way on the trail! be careful out there!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Paul McG
    Fair enough. I doubt impact is less than with casual riders in the pentlands but it does sound like the numbers are low and the organisers are taking their duties seriously.

I had assumed rather more folk entering.

RichPenny
    Free Member

would you behave like that walking down the street?

What, like walking two abreast on the pavement? Of course, it's perfectly normal and easier for chatting. Then when someone approaches who wants to pass, you let them do so. They weren't blocking the trail, they were riding.

funny, i know a couple of riders who are nutters, who would enjoy jumping all over people acting either way on the trail!

Care in the community types?

grtdkad

PMG is absolutely right, I've only done a dozen or so TQs, rarely see the other competitors. You are 'challenged' by the clock and the terrain (trying to avoid the word 'racing')

All of the events I have done have been well organised, relaxed affairs with a good natured bunch of riders, unfortunatley this sounds like a one-off where a rider with an over-inflated ego and a bad case of cycling tourettes has ventured out – N.O.B.

boxelder

Haven't read all of this, but it sounds way out of order. I regularly ride TQ's and do OK and even though I'm in a hurry, I still stop/slow down/wait for all types of other trail users and make a point of being polite.
    If the 'racer' did as you describe, he's out of order and let BMBO know.

He's an exception – the vast majority of folks doing TQ's are balanced and sane.

I bet he wasn't anywhere near winning. He'd probably c0cked up his route choice and was vainly trying to limit the damage. Still a kno8.

grtdkad

Yup – over the time limit and heading towards an 'All Points Lost' position! 😆

hitman
    Free Member

read some of the posts – what a sad thread! sounds like mountain biking is degenerating along the lines of some other marginal sports/hobbies which became more popular 🙁

DFaffMaster

I lost all my points but it wasn't me! I was on my ti 456 and was very polite to everyone.
    Said hello to lots of people and even explained what the event was all about to a few people. My wife even stopped to help some normal riders who managed to get lost on waymarked trails! Even checked up on some crashed riders.
    Generally we both received nothing but encouragement by everyone.

zaskar
    Free Member

MTBing is like anything else, you have some nice people and some…not so nice people.

You guys should have moved over but thought it was a joke so you took your time (doh), bloke got annoyed and started to swear instead of saying move over guys (doh2), you guys catch up and swear back…(doh 3)
    all at fault.

pastcaring
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    would you behave like that walking down the street?
    What, like walking two abreast on the pavement? Of course, it's perfectly normal and easier for chatting. Then when someone approaches who wants to pass, you let them do so. They weren't blocking the trail, they were riding.

funny, i know a couple of riders who are nutters, who would enjoy jumping all over people acting either way on the trail!
    Care in the community types?

how many time has a lorry over taken another lorry going 1 mph faster on a duel carriage way in front of you? or 3 women walking along a path oblivious to you, as you walk towards them? or people stopped in the middle of the trail? just examples of the **** you i'm all right attitude that so prevalent in the uk today!

i don't see any difference!
    as i said i think both parties need to think about their actions and maybe be a little more considerate of other trail users!

as for the nutters, i've never herd of them punching anyone who didn't deserve it! a group of 8 lads throwing stones at them and not being smart enough to run when they went after them, a moto x rider going back and forth deliberately spraying them with the roost, poachers digging at their trails who didn't under stand the words **** off….

not everyone will put up with **** s, and why should they?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Trail manners at GT – Trailquest content’ is closed to new replies.