• This topic has 46 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • “Trail” grips…?
  • Kryton57

I usually use and replace ESI chunky’s once a year but these are for my Clockwork/play bike and I’d like them a bit more robust to replace the thin OEM grips, so what’s a fairly fat yet comfortable more rugged option du jour these days?

Thanks

scotroutes

For comfort I’ve found Ergon GE1s to be a revelation. I’d been looking at increasingly swept bars to alleviate wrist pain but gave these a go and they’ve been great. Now have them on 3 of my MTBs.

andyrm
    Free Member

Gusset S2 is fantastic.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m trail grips when I ride my trail bike. But usually I’m XC grips.

chakaping
    Free Member

DMR Deathgrips in the harder compound, thin are reasonably girthy and thick are a real handful.

bigblackshed

Oury.

nedrapier

Deathgrips. I’ve got long fingers, so I’ve found the big ones to fit my hands better, and I get less finger/hand/arm pain.

Kryton57

Those Ergons look like something I’m after.   I don’t like intrusive ridges and waffles etc on my grips.

CheesybeanZ

ODI Rouge , big grippy n tough .

SirHC

Dmr death grips, perfect, last a while and very comfy

hatter

The new ODI Dread-locks look spot on for big shovel-hands, planning to try them the next time I need new ones. Basically chunky foam grips but with built in lock-on and a harder rubber end for protection.

Can’t see much to dislike with them.

ratherbeintobago

+1 for Ergons – I’ve got GXs as I used to get numb hands with round grips on the MTB (though oddly not on the Hybrid of Doom, which has ODI lock-ons)

russyh
    Free Member

Absolutely loving true PNw Loam Grips at the moment.  Seem to be lasting very well, super comfy and not ridiculously massive

LOAM GRIPS

hols2
    Free Member

ODI Rouge.

Do they match your lipstick?

I do like ODI Rogues though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve gone from ESI chunky to Burgtec bartender minaar edition. Not quite as soft, but lovely and grippy and much more durable. My ESIs weren’t lasting more than a few months as my riding has changed these last couple of years.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Fabric Semi ergos for me.

jler1985

Loving the Ergon GA2 fat grips, super comfy and durable for my big hands.

astormatt
    Free Member
    nickfrog
    Free Member

CRC do the Nukeproof Horizon for £10 atm. Bought on price but now enjoying a brilliant grip that is just right and dampens vibrations without affecting feel.

submarined
    Free Member

Burgtec Bartender Minaars and Deity Knuckledusters are both equally excellent.

chiefgrooveguru

DMR Deathgrip soft thick! Or my surprise discovery that came on my Levo and I expected to replace with Deathgrips, Specialized SIP XL (which is basically a flangeless Deathgrip without the mushroom bit).

maca
    Free Member

Ive been using the sq lab 70x and I’m really impressed with how comfortable they are

Shackleton

If you have genuinely big hands (to the point where people feel obliged to point it out on first meeting and you struggle to buy gloves that fit) and want to do proper technical riding then the Sensus Meaty Paws grips are superb.

Failing that, DMR death grips.

Yak

Gusset s2, supacaz gripz. Both single locking and nice n’ soft.

tall_martin

Chromag was here.
    Bit of squidge, grippy and long

mboy
    Free Member

My tried and trusted for years was always the ODI Rogue. There wasn’t anything else with reasonable girth for years, but now there’s a lot more options. Here’s some other grips I’ve run (or am running now) over the last few years that have compared favourably…

-Ergon GE1
    -Ergon GD1
    -Gusset S2
    -Whyte Trail-V (these come OEM on lots of Whyte full sus bikes)
    -DMR Deathgrip

Anything sub 31mm I’ve found to be too narrow and cause lots of hand fatigue, none of these have caused me problems.

joebristol

Nukeproof Sam Hill grips are pretty thick. I’m not that keen on them on my mtb – so gone back to Raceface half nelsons as they are thinner.

singlespeedstu

Large grip are for people that hold on to tight.
    You have suspension to take the shock away. An extra couple of mm of rubber on the grips just makes it harder to control the bike and makes you try to grip even tighter causing more arm pump/hand pain.

Shackleton

Large grips are for people with big hands. Not everyone is born a carney…….. 🙄

If you have big hands then large grips mean you grip less tightly. It is almost like size of hand correlates with size of grip. But feel free to shout your baseless, illogical and poorly justified opinions at the Internet if it makes you feel better.

Edit – xl/xxl gloves are not large hands. That is marginally bigger than the average male (l/xl) according to endura rep.

singlespeedstu

XL/xxl gloves here 🥱
    The same hands that do more than press keys on a keyboard for most of the week. 😉
    Nice edit there. 😂
    Make whatever justification you want up for wanting big soft grips.
    No one cares.
    Some people like big grips and some people don’t
    Personally they make arm pump worse
    Even with my small XL/XXl hands.

singlespeedstu

Endura and sizing. 🤣

Shackleton

You seem to care quite a lot. My meaty paws grips aren’t anymore squishy than my old rogues, etc. Just wider diameter.

singlespeedstu

Yes mate what size meat y paws you wrap your hands round really bothers me.
    No matter how hard or soft it is. 😲

Shackleton

Too much sherry tonight for hard tbh

singlespeedstu

Sweet or dry?
    Has the Endura rep sized it up for you?
    Might explain there frankly odd sizing. 😵

chiefgrooveguru

I imagine Kyle Strait has pretty big hands, he’s huge compared to everyone else at Rampage. And he can certainly ride a bit, whilst hanging onto his Meaty Paws.

Northwind

I switched to one of hte ODI foam grips as I was a bit fed up of ESI falling apart. Think I wanted Floats, but they were more expensive so I got Vapors. And as long as you can buy these I doubt I’ll buy anything else, they’re fab.

Shackleton

Endura don’t have anything to fit my meaty bits regardless of state. Even with the rep helping.

CheesybeanZ

Do they match your lipstick?

I do like ODI Rogues though

My xxl workmans fingers must have hit the wrong key .🖐🖐

devash
    Free Member

Currently running Ergon GE1 grips on my do it all Giant Anthem. Previously ran some Oury lock-on grips. I don’t have huge hands (size L gloves) but I love chunky grips.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘“Trail” grips…?’ is closed to new replies.