Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Trail forks on Garmin iq devices could be a gamechanger
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member
    leffeboy

oh that looks very interesting.  Good bunch of trails near me.  Time to go play

markgraylish
    Free Member

Well spotted Mike!

That’s the next rainy days entertainment sorted…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It only takes 1min to set up!! you can ping a trail to your garmin from your phone while you are out so arranging to meet at the top of a random golfie trail just got easier

Rubber_Buccaneer

That is going to be brilliant for a trip to the states later this year, thanks.

Ewan
    Free Member

Note that Garmins tend to ship with a single region’s mapping on them. EU units don’t have the US I think.

muggomagic

Nice one Mike. Use Trailforks a lot and have tried (unsuccessfully) in the past to load routes onto the garmin, so this is going to come in handy

Rubber_Buccaneer

EU units don’t have the US I think

True.  There is free OSM mapping available but in my excitement I already bought Garmins version of the US maps

deanfbm
    Free Member

Surely this is bad news?

Easier to find the trails = more conflict + increased likelihood of said trail going

Go looking for it and earn it.

poah
    Free Member

bollox to that.

superfli
    Free Member

Shame it doesn’t support the watches (fr,xt, fenix). That would have been useful, even though no actual maps on the watches, the breadcrumb trail is still useful

NewRetroTom

Easier to find the trails = more conflict

Or maybe people will spread out more onto trails they didn’t know about, so there will be less conflict.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve been doing more-or-less this for some time now, but this will be a lot more slick….

Ive been downloading the trials as gpx’s from trail forks, loading to the Garmin (810) then using the app on the phone to browse the trails figure out what I want to ride and bringing it up on the Garmin to follow down.

Admittedly this takes more planning, having to download the trails first, then load them to the Garmin, but has been working well for me.

the only issue is the download limit for the GPX’s something like golfy takes days to download the trails, so this might be worth getting a new fangled x20 Garmin……

Im a big fan of trail forks, its loads better than Strava! the pink bike guys have done a great job of it 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surely this is bad news?

Easier to find the trails = more conflict + increased likelihood of said trail going

These are all published and recorded trails it just makes the process of using tech a bit easier and brings to garmin what you could do on any phone until now.

Trailforks is also very responsible around usage, complaints and blocking – land owners can apply to have their land blanked from the lists, trail conditions can be uploaded to help get people off wet/muddy trails and onto better ones for the conditions.

downhillfast
    Free Member

This works well on my Edge 520, tested it out today on dome local trails I already know. You can choose from loads of local routes, all seemed to go ok for me 🙂

The “Gold” routes all seem to be in the USA though (or is it just me?).

joemmo
    Free Member

This looks like the first CIQ app that could be genuinely useful. Have downloaded and installed it, testing on Sunday.

Thanks for the tip off

Garry_Lager

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I’ve been doing more-or-less this for some time now, but this will be a lot more slick….

Ive been downloading the trials as gpx’s from trail forks, loading to the Garmin (810) then using the app on the phone to browse the trails figure out what I want to ride and bringing it up on the Garmin to follow down.

Im a big fan of trail forks, its loads better than Strava! the pink bike guys have done a great job of it

</div>

This does look boss, but the 810 appears to be unsupported? Trying with mine now and can’t make the download without a recognised device.

i_like_food

Great spot. Thanks!

benpinnick

I made need to invest in a Garmin upgrade 😉

Anyone using the 520? Now the plus is announced prices are pretty good so is that the option of choice (without blowing the budget)?

gray

I have a 520 and an 820. I’d definitely go for a 520 plus over the 520 if you’re at all interested in mapping and navigation. The 520 has very limited memory. Otherwise fine though.

joemmo
    Free Member

Yes I’ve got a 520. Was initially a bit underwhelmed but it’s a decent device and the screens are very customisable if a bit of a faff to set up. Battery life is ok for a good ride, the integration with Strava etc works well and you can store chunks of OSM maps for wherever you’re riding.

Don’t get the official rubber bumper case though, it’s useless!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s always one….

roverpig

Just having a play with Trailforks. It is rather nifty isn’t it. It looks like a good option for those of us more interested in exploring new trails than moving up leaderboards. They’ve even helpfully marked all the sections I don’t have the talent to ride 🙂

zilog6128

Tried it out today – at the very least it’s the easiest way of getting a GPX onto your Garmin! App is way better than Strava too for getting an overview of trails in an area.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah and now for the good bit, if trails are missing and you have a good quality gpx of them add it to Trailforks 🙂 After that fill out the ride reports if something is blocked or broken too

jamj1974

I take it you’ve never accepted an offer to be shown around an area new to you…?

Would that pollute the purity of your trail experience…?

Just asking.

roverpig

How do you mark a trail as red? Lots of red lines on the map, but when I try to add a trail the only options seem to be green, blue or black.

jam-bo

US/Canada don’t have a red classification do they?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have never heard of Trailforks…

roverpig

Ah, it’s OK, I’ve found it. You need to switch the system to “UK Forestry Commission” to get the red option.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

US/Canada don’t have a red classification do they?

Normally IMBA classification, same as Ski’s really.

jam-bo

not the easiest system to add trails into is it?

although I guess setting the bar a bit higher will avoid the segments mess that strava is.

roverpig

The integration with Strava is pretty good though. I could just select a Strava activity and crop it to add a trail (once I’d added a region).

Grading is tricky though. Partly because I’m a hopeless mincer so everything looks difficult to me and partly because some people are clearly using that IMBA system while others are using the “Forestry Commission”  Green, Blue, Red, Black system. I’m also not sure when something stops being an access trail ans atrts being a green one.

jam-bo

i’ve tried connecting and importing strava activities but they seem not to be uploading.

roverpig

Are they in the queue? Mine sat there for an hour or so before being imported.There seems to be some limit on how many they can download, so it depends who else is using the system I guess.

andykentos
    Free Member

Very interested in this.

Is it possible to have a trailforks overlay on the garmin map so you can just ride around and see a variety of trails around you or do you need to look on trailforks and then pick a route and send to the garmin to follow?

NewRetroTom

I have been trying to install this onto my Edge 1000 for a couple of days now. Every time I try to download it it says “This app requires an update of your Garmin Edge 1000. Please use Garmin Express to update your Garmin Edge 1000”.

I have checked for updates by logging in to Garmin Connect on the phone while having the Edge 1000 connected, and it says that it is up to date. I have also tried doing this using Garmin Express on the laptop. I have checked the firmware version on the device against what the website says and it all seems to be up to date.

I have sent a message to the app developer but haven’t heard anything back yet.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? Did everyone else manage to install without problems?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

This works well on my Edge 520, tested it out today on dome local trails I already know. You can choose from loads of local routes, all seemed to go ok for me

Can you, or anyone, give any more info about how this works on the 520, given it doesn’t have any basemaps? Does it just show the Trailforks routes as lines on a blank screen, or does it give some sort of directions to get there? It seems on the 520 Plus it can entirely replace the basemaps.

gavstorie
    Free Member

If you have a 520 plus, 810, 1000, 1030 then the best option is to download the Trailforks Garmin Basemap. This puts all the trails in the specified country directly onto your device. It’s not free but the money you pay goes to whatever trail association that you choose and the money is then used for repairs etc..

The plan is that the basemap will be updated 2-3 times a year and once you have paid for it, the updated versions are free.
    The current cost is $15 per map
    https://www.trailforks.com/tools/garminmaps/

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Trail forks on Garmin iq devices could be a gamechanger’ is closed to new replies.