Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trail /fell running with broken shoulder?
  • philbert31
    Free Member

I bust my shoulder in a crash last Sunday and the prospect of not getting back out for weeks is depressing so I’ve been thinking about starting running off road. I was just planning to strap my arm/shoulder up to stop it flapping around and give it some support while running.
    Does anyone know any reason not to do this?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.

Till you stumble, and stick out your arm instinctively to break your fall. Or just land on it outright.

Road/path running might be a better bet. Less tripping hazards.

LardLover
    Free Member

I had a broken scapula and clavicle after getting knocked off my bike. The thought of my shoulder bouncing around whilst running makes.me feel sick now……!

Saying that, if you think you can manage a trail run then go ahead. But be aware, as already mentioned, if you stumble and fall you may cause more injury.

Static trainer perhaps? I was comfortable on my bike on a turbo trainer even after 2 weeks.

philbert31
    Free Member

To be fair, falling was my main concern, it’ll be a while before I’d be heading over Helvellyn though lol

antigee

its not that long a time really – do some leg work at home or in the gym so you come back stronger and make good use of the down time – agree on missing the outdoors but some walking exploring looking for new stuff to ride will fix that

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I did some running with a broken shoulder, mainly on the trails I usually ride. Told the doctor when he asked if I had been doing any exercise and he wasn’t happy. He said, to quote, ‘if you fall on it again, you’re fu*ked’. Also, the bouncing around will hinder the fusing process.

He had a point.

ontor
    Free Member

It’s unlikely to be comfortable at all & you stand a high chance of battering yourself. As my buddy says “It’s called fell running for a reason…”

philbert31
    Free Member

Good points I suppose, oh well, looks like I’ll just be heading out for walks and to the gym!

Thanks for the advice!

roper
    Free Member

I think a big part of doing certain sports is knowing when to rest, especially if you look at the long term. If you injure something you have to let it heal properly or you might end up carrying that injury for years to come.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trail /fell running with broken shoulder?’ is closed to new replies.