Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trail dog help
  • spev

I’ve been riding with the dog on the local trails as a replacement for walking some days, she usually gets fed after he morning walk and then again in the evening when I get home from work after the evening walk (morning walks are around 6.30 then fed at around 9 or an hour after we get back, same with the evening). What I’m wondering is should I feed her before the ride? We usually set off for a morning ride about 9am so I could feed her at 6.30 when i get up so she’d have a while before setting off.
    Only querying as she seems a bit more tired and lethargic on the morning ride compared to the evening ones and I wondered if it was because she is running on “empty” in the morning having been fed over 14 hours before we go out.
    Sorry for the long rambling post 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I know routine is important but I would say yes, feed her at least a hour before the ride. You could always split the food 50:50 before and after the ride and if done often then that will be a routine in itself. Be prepared to stop and pick up dog poo at the start of the ride though.

Trimix
    Free Member

Do you eat breakfast before trying to run after your mates who are cycling ?

km79
    Free Member

Only querying as she seems a bit more tired and lethargic on the morning ride compared to the evening ones and I wondered if it was because she is running on “empty” in the morning having been fed over 14 hours before we go out.

Ever wondered why the dog looks at you as if it knows you are daft? 🙄

spev

I know I’m daft, don’t need the dogs help there 🙂
    Just wanted confirmation of what I was thinking and theres plenty of people telling you to never feed before exercise. Just making sure that’s all.

spev

And I always pick up, before after or during

spev

And in fairness she does get a dentistick between the evening feed and the morning so we aren’t starving the bugger ( she looks at us like we are though)

jolmes
    Free Member

Some dogs can get stomach torsion if exercised after food. I know we have to feed ours after her walks so morning walk is always a little shorter as we know shes gone 12 hours without food. But as she’s technically still a pup, shes on 3 meals a day, and training treats on top

dovebiker

There is a risk of feeding a dog before exercise – particularly deep-chested breeds – of bloat or stomach torsion. Both are fatal if not addressed promptly as we’ve had it twice with our basset hounds. Better to feed after exercise IMO. Dogs are predisposed to simply guzzle what food they can get, whenever – we also have a Labrador that if not careful will gorge food and regurgitate what she can’t digest!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trail dog help’ is closed to new replies.