Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trail clearance multitool?
  • spooky_b329

Finding my local trails are getting a bit overgrown with brambles etc.

On the bike, no problem as you can get off and deal with them, but on horseback the one that rakes across your back as you lie down on the horse is out of reach once you get off, and no option to hack them back as the horse thinks you’re trying to kill it 🙂

Is there nothing else apart from these things? Don’t really want a saw, just one handed (sprung) secateurs.

https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/site/uploads/sys_products/folding-pocket-secateurs.jpg%5B/i%5D

epicyclo

Here’s the pic

DickBarton

Silky f180?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    st

Yep, folding Silky can be used as a very mini slasher or of course a saw.

cakefacesmallblock

Swiss army garden fork. 😉

benpinnick

I would get anvil secateurs – they will cut the thicker branches more easily. Probably wont find a folding set, but they are alot less pointy than normal ones, so can go in a pack with less to worry about. That said, a folding saw is the best for any serious work. Silky of course make them, but the cheapies (lidl/Aldi etc. sell them from time to time) work fine if you’re not planning on doing major forestry. They can tackle pretty big stuff 6 inches + without a problem.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Anyone that does anything more that 5 minutes trail clearance will know that secateurs are useless. You don’t get anywhere near enough done in a reasonable time.

You can acheive a reasonable amount of whacking/ slicing with a folding saw, and it can actually reasonably sized logs and branches too. I’d start here with something that has an 8″ blade.

Taking it up a notch for brambles and such benefits from the use of a brash axe or machete. Personally, I find a machete way more effective that a brash axe, but the potential to injure oneself is higher with a machete, and I’ve been informed by a friendly PCSO I know that if seen by plod, I may be liable to summary arrest, with questions asked later. I’ve never seen plod away from Tarmac though.

For bulk work, I have a portable electric hedge cutter.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Those little folding ones are good if you want something compact and that you can use one-handed on horseback. Most have a little saw in them too but you might as well get a folding/retractable saw if you want a saw blade.
    Silky-type saw also good if your horsey is well behaved enough to let you have one had tugging at the bramle and one to do a stroke of the saw rather than waving and slashing.

Northwind

Secateurs are fine for individual branches, I wouldn’t talk them down like that- horses for courses, ironically 😉 I’ve no use for them, I carry a foldy saw and if there’s lots of stuff to do I take up the right tools for the job, but that doesn’t make them useless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

What Northwind says.

On top of a horse and just the odd bramble/branch they’re great.

Dunno about the folding ones though.

Especially when you get these…. [video]https://youtu.be/rjWlQgt8Ztw[/video]

I think the music comes from the built in entertainment syste.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys…its literally a one handed tool I need to just clear the odd trail where brambles etc make things difficult, when you have to lie forwards to duck under stuff the horse tends to take advantage and start speeding up or veering off to the nearest edible foliage 🙂

Doesn’t appear to be any alternatives to the tool I tried to post a pic of so going for one of those. Can’t really do a saw as its a two handed job and can’t keep a hold of the reins if she does make a break for it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trail clearance multitool?’ is closed to new replies.