• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by brads.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trail centres (or just travelling to ride) now…
  • rascal
    Free Member

Ok to travel to or should we still stay away?
    Now we’re out of lockdown is it acceptable to travel to a trail centre, even though most of us are in tiers 2 or 3? Just testing the water…I live 45 miles or so from Cannock, and in tier 3, but I’m bored of local slop/familiarity. I would like to meet a couple of riding mates there this weekend but am undecided on whether it’s ok, cheeky and just stupid…

doomanic

https://www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-local-restrictions

Put your postcode in and it’ll tell you what you can do.

Cannock is in Tier 3 as well.

Akers

Tier 3: Avoid travelling outside of your area, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.

joat

Unless they’re stopping people at the border, who’s going to stop you. Our local retail park was rammed today never mind what the weekend will be like, so in my opinion riding a bike in an open space away from the throngs is fair play. Take your own food and drink if you are concerned about mingling and sanitise your hands before and after using the pay machines. BUT, you won’t be the only one with this idea. There’ll hopefully be enough people going shopping now full lockdown has finished to make it bearable though

richardk
    Free Member

From Cycling Weekly:
    <h3>What is permitted under the new rules?</h3>
    Guidance from British Cycling says:

• You can ride outside alone, with those in your household or support bubble, or with one person from another household. If you are riding with someone from another household, you must only ride as a pair.
    • You must stay two metres apart from anyone not from your household or support bubble.
    • You should not go out if you are experiencing coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating, or sharing a household/support bubble with someone who has symptoms, or if you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace and told to stay home.
    • There are no restrictions on how far or how often you can ride, but BC says you should stay within your ability level and prepare accordingly, especially when riding alone.

<h3>Stay at home, but exercise is allowed</h3>
    Under the new restrictions, we will be allowed to exercise outside under the  lockdown and you will be able to participate in physical activity with other people in some circumstances.
    <div class=”injection”>
    <div id=”apester-7″ class=”apester-mobile hidden”></div>
    </div>
    The government said that you can exercise outdoors with the people you live with, with your support bubble, or with one other person from another household.
    <h3>Travelling for exercise</h3>
    The government says you should avoid travelling in or out of your local area and you should reduce the number of journeys you make, but there are set circumstances in which you may travel, including exercise.

Authorities are also encouraging people to walk or cycle for travel.

cookeaa

Personal choice really now innit?

This same topic seems to have come up every couple of weeks since March, understandable as guidance/rules/general understanding simply isn’t consistent day to day…

My own personal choice for the foreseeable future is to just stay local and ride what I can from my doorstep. I think we’re Tier 2 right now (whatever that actually means), frankly I’m not keen to find and test the boundaries of the current rules and/or raise the chances (however marginal) of me being a “Spreader”…
    So I’m doing my best to steer clear of other people, potentially busy locations (like trail centres?) and keeping the riding tame so I don’t find myself in an A&E (that’s the current excuse anyway)…

YMMV of course, and TBH I don’t think a “trip to an outside space for exercise purposes” would break the rules as most people understand them right now.
    So do what you like basically, everyone else seems to be…

earl_brutus

Im booked in to Bike Park Wales on the 19th December so watching the situation very closely!

hopkinsgm

Handy wee infographic in this Q&A article from Cycling UK: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/coronavirus-qa-cycling-guidance

*edit*
    I got a pic to work!
    *endedit*

chakaping
    Free Member

Can you not just recreate the Cannock experience by purchasing some shiny pebbles from your local garden centre and spreading them over a few flat corners, then just ride those?

doomanic

It would complete the picture if you can get some skinny scrote dressed in Sports Direct’s finest follow you around on a Muddy Fox BSO asking for a go on your bike.

reluctantjumper

Just go during the quieter times and avoid the honeypots, it’s what I’ve been doing since Wales came out of the firebreak. I thought night riding might be a good way to find space but tried one at Cwmcarn and there were roughly 30 riders in the car park with the same idea!

Im booked in to Bike Park Wales on the 19th December so watching the situation very closely!

If you’re in England then Welsh rules still don’t permit travelling across the border for leisure reasons. I was hoping to go to Windhill from Cardiff this week, a 2hr drive but not allowed to cross the border for exercise reasons yet I can travel all the way up to North Wales, a 3hr+ drive, and spend all day at CYB or Revolution. I phoned up the local Covid Action phoneline to check (it’s set up for this exact reason) and the said there’s no plan to review this rule until the christmas ‘break’ starts so you might be out of luck.

montylikesbeer

I’m feeling blessed that I can ride out from the house onto the Mary Townley Loop and then the trails beyond ( Lee and Crag Quarry)

It has been such a challenging year, keep the faith folks

weeksy

I’m heading to BPW tomorrow. I don’t feel i’m out of order.

failedengineer

Police are stopping people travelling from Lancs (Tier 3) to N Yorks (Tier 2) apparently. Exceeding their authority?

failedengineer

plus, Scotland are telling the English to stay away and Scots not to travel to England.

Gribs

Police are stopping people travelling from Lancs (Tier 3) to N Yorks (Tier 2) apparently. Exceeding their authority?

If you’re in a car they can stop you for any reason. Living on the border between West and North Yorkshire I think it’s an utter waste of police resources that would could currently be better used combating dangerous parking at the local honeypots. If they stop me on my bike they’ll be politely told it’s none of their business who I am and where I’m going.

brads
    Free Member

plus, Scotland are telling the English to stay away and Scots not to travel to England.

That’s just everyday normal for the bunnet wearing flag bearers amongst us I’m afraid.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trail centres (or just travelling to ride) now…’ is closed to new replies.