• This topic has 97 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Trail Centres Not Rubbish
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

Anyone who rides the same trail twice isn’t a real mountain biker.

rucknar
    Free Member

Crikey is bang on the money whether you like it or not.
    The few who have simply said they personally prefer the natural trails with an element of exploration are not snobs, they are just giving their opinion and that’s cool!

Then there’re the detractors who I won’t name but we all know who they are, they are the ones earning the title ‘snobs’ which is hilarious considering this is a MTB forum, go play golf and leave us riders who just want to have fun alone 😉

…who I won’t name but we all know who they are…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Why do people complain that “everything is rideable”? What do these people want, stuff that *isn’t* rideable? What would be the point of that? It’s akin to going on a track day and complaining that you could drive the whole track

Actually that’s exactly right. Trail centres can be like track days. You turn up, follow the arrows and go as fast as you can. Sometimes that’s great, but sometimes I want something more like the Dakar rally. I want to have to stop and metaphorically dig the car out. I want tracks that peter out to nothing and I have to carry the bike over a peat bog, I want river crossings that I may or may not be able to get through without getting wet through I want to explore that little gap in the trees which may be nothing or may lead to the best bit of singletrack ever.

In short I want an “Epic” and when was the last time anyone had an epic (in the true sense) riding round Whinlatter? I’ve ridden most of the trail centres in Britain, and the days spent doing them don’t even rank in my top 50 days out on a bike. Most of my top 50 involve getting lost, getting wet, watching the sun set from the top of a mountain (big hill), then realising my lights are still in the car, dragging a rucksack full of stuff to a remote place to spend the night, then watching the sun rise over a mountain tarn, finishing my last energy bar with 40km left to go and my legs feeling like they’re on fire

Note I am not saying that trail centres are rubbish, just that they are not the be all and end all.

wrecker
    Free Member

It depends what you want. A day out on the bike or to ride great trails.
    While I see the attraction with boriselbrus’ day, you can quite happily do that on foot and get a very similar experience as in a day out on the hills.
    The best trails I’ve ever ridden were in BC and were all manmade and had direction signs. I’ve not found trails that compare to that anywhere in the UK (so far). I do think that most trail centres could be more technically challenging but maybe that’s me just being selfish. I’d certainly like to see more black trails.

molgrips
    Free Member

Note I am not saying that trail centres are rubbish, just that they are not the be all and end all.

I’ve never heard anyone say that they are.

Oh, all right then, I’ll say it.

Trail centres are the be all and end all.

richmtb

I honestly can’t see a big distinction, it strikes me as an argument for the sake of it.

My last big day out I strung together a 30mile ride on Arran.

It wasn’t a “waymarked route” with little red arrows but it was a fairly well estabilished loop that was availabe online. Along the way there were some signs that helped with navigation so I didn’t really have to look at my map

Much like a trail centre it was a mixture of fireroads and single track and even the occasional road section. None of the paths I was on were anything other than man made, either fire roads and paths put there by the forestry commission or singletrack over the hills made by other bikers and walkers.

If the next time i’m there I stick some red arrows on the signposts does this make it a trail centre and therefore suddenly not worth riding?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

trail centres are for fat blokes aged about 40 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trail centres are the be all and end all.

Come on MTG if you are going to troll do it properly.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As a wannabee fruit eater, which is better, Apples or Oranges?

curlie467
    Free Member

Oranges if i had to choose but i much prefer bananas.

“… it strikes me as an argument for the sake of it”

Whoever would do such a thing ?

athgray
    Free Member

Many people slagging trail centers sound like they would stand in front of a mirror in their lycra shorts kissing their biceps, before proclaiming to their reflection “Looking good!”. Trail centers are responsible for bringing many people (myself included) into mountain biking who may otherwise overlook the sport. Moving into it recently from climbing and walking and am hooked! I am perfectly capable of reading a map and have been on several routes in the hills. There is enjoyment in trail centers and the mountains. Wild areas do give a sense on exploration and peace, however places like Glentress give a great adrenalin rush, atmosphere and the chance to chat to like minded individuals. I am just glad I don’t see your sort bringing down the friendly atmosphere at Glentress.

…stand in front of a mirror in their lycra shorts kissing their biceps, before proclaiming to their reflection “Looking good!”

Have you been peeking through my curtains. 😳

Rorschach
    Free Member

“a great adrenalin rush, atmosphere and the chance to chat to like minded individuals”
    Sounds like an advert for weatherspoons.

smell_it
    Free Member

I saw a trail centre punch a child in the face.

jwt
    Free Member

I’m lucky to live in the South Lakes, close to a fair amount of ‘natural trails’, I’ve being riding since around 93′, but every now and then find someting new I’ve not ridden before.
    Every now and then I ride a trial centre, mainly because I’ve not found a natural equivilant to ‘make or break’ and the like.
    Its all riding.
    Its all good.
    (apart from maybe the NFT 😉 )

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centres Not Rubbish’ is closed to new replies.