Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trail building with agreement of (private) landowners.
  • colournoise

Anyone got any experience of this or any tips on how best to approach landowners?

Is public liability the big stumbling block?

colournoise

No one?

luket

I have a little experience of similar, although I was not the trail builder. I’m linked to the landowner. In our case the starting issues were this and a question of users ultimately securing new legal rights which might affect value or inhibit other things the landowner might want to do later, eg a right of way or “village green” type rights. However different landowners may be very different and if there’s nothing in it for them, or they’re just busy, I’d expect many to be uncooperative regardless of the liability issue, or at least disinterested in spending time getting themselves comfortable with it.

There are IMBA documents on the net that cover the liability issue including an American one which was helpful even if in a different country. I felt they made a decent case that a law suit was unlikely if the owner and builders had done the right basic things, however a lawyer was advising that the issue would never entirely go away if the activity continued.

For what it’s worth, the folk I know bought the land, the riding and other activities have continued without any landowner issue and I don’t think the trail builders are organised together or have approached the landowners.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No experience directly, but if FC and/or local council departments are anything to go by and they are open to the initial idea, they probably will be more amenable to talking with an organised group rather than a random individual or a random loose group of individuals. contacting them thru some sort of local trail building group with history or an organised biking club with structure will most likely be the strongest approach IME.

Sonor
    Free Member

The FC “insure” themselves I do believe, as no insurance company would take it on.

My group deals with a private landowner, and we have separate insurance for building trails AND for the “public” to use them, as general landowner insurance policies exclude stuff such as mountain bike trails from their policies.

Liability is a very big issue.

colournoise

Thanks all so far.

We are an organised and CTC-affiliated club, so at least have that in our favour.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I know B1ke has worked with several group to sucure private woodland/site for access/bike parks etc..

http://www.b1ke.com/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

These are on council land in the middle of a fairly posh housing estate in the SE. If its possible here its possible anywhere!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trail building with agreement of (private) landowners.’ is closed to new replies.