Trail addiction?

Home Forum Bike Forum Trail addiction?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trail addiction?
  • godzilla

Just about to book our 2014 Alpine adventure with TA and wondered if many/any of you folks have any experience with them? looking at staying in the Eagles nest.

legend

Yes, been twice, been awesome. Admittedly I preferred the Goat Shed (more homely cooking which is right up my street) but the two other chalets are still great.

Guiding’s been spot on both times too

Hob Nob

Yeah, we did a week there this year.

Never done a catered or guided Alps thing before, in fact never done anything other than DH in the past, so no opinion to base on for guided holidays.

Really enjoyed the riding, I was lucky with the group I was in and the guide, I think he got the vibe of the riding pretty quick (i.e. will ride pretty much anything & quick).

The only thing I got a little bored of was super tight switchbacks, but most of the riding was mint.

Stuff like food & accomodation is obviously down to personal opinion, we stayed in the Eagles Nest, which is branded as the ‘premium’ option. It wasn’t bad, I guess compared to some dumps i’ve stayed in over the years in various alpine resorts it was good, but it’s certainly not luxury. Same applies for the food really.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I really enjoyed my 2 trips with TA – the only times I’ve been to the alp-s. Both times went alone & was put into well-suited groups (they may disagree; 1st time I was the slowest rider but not by too much 😳 ) with good guides. I stayed at the goatshed too – perfect for what I wanted (Eagles Nest is better placed for the morning 1st lift though, I think)

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Love those trails.

cycl1ngjb

Did the Destination X holiday in 2013 – would definitely go back.

Trails were great – generally well organised – the guides told us to be ready to ride each day at 9am & we started riding no later than 9:15 every day. We got plenty of riding in every day – some day we didn’t finish until gone 5pm. Wide variety of trails – from tight technical with plenty of switchbacks to fast flowing loamy trails.

If I’m to offer any (minor) criticism there were a couple of time we did some short road sections to ride back to the van where we could have been uplifted from the end of the trail & we did suffer slightly from the Trans Savoie going off about a week after we were there (they were down by one driver which did affect plans a little).

The only company I’ve been with who were better is Bike Verbier.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

We had a good time in the goat shed a few years ago, food was great and the beer flowed too easily

Trails were ok but we felt the White Room trails were better and days were better thought out

godzilla

Awesome cheers guys, been to Morzine the last two years in a row and had a class time, I’m a little concerned that guided may not be for us as, but Les arc sounds right up our street but i have it on good advice that its hard to negotiate without a guide.
    I there much in the trails between TA and Whiteroom as it was a toss up between the two?

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Had an excellent holiday with them at Destination X, just as “advertised”. Would definitely look at Les Arcs with them or indeed Trans Savoie.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@godzilla – what sort of riding where you doing arou d Morzine ? IMO guided tried trips are far superior to PDS type riding.

I’ve skied with White Room and they have a great setup and are very hospitable. You will get a more personal service as they are a smaller outfit, TA used to be that way but are a larger company now. Still excellent. From what I’ve read and research I’ve done WhiteRoom is a bit more varied trails / location wise getting out and about a bit more. There is so much in Les Arcs that TA don’t need to venture so far and it’s more ski lift orintated rather than van uplift.

godzilla

@godzilla – what sort of riding where you doing arou d Morzine ? IMO guided tried trips are far superior to PDS type riding.

Everything over the two years, not just Morzine but the whole Portes du soleil area, AM DH Trail, we landed on your feet and our hosts where great at marking up maps so we did loads off the tourist trails as well.

Hob Nob

It’s very different to Morzine. I’ve ridden there a lot over the years, having been predominantly a DH monkey in the past. I like Morzine, but nor for the marked stuff. I raced with a lot of guys who did endless seasons out there, so rode pretty much off piste all the time. However those trails were super steep, tech DH.

The stuff in Les Arcs is very different riding. For me, as I barely ride DH now, the riding was much more fun. There is still a few DH runs there you can smash runs out on if it takes your fancy on the day off to get a fix if you fancy it.

torihada

TA in Eagles nest 2 yrs on trot , 15 & 17 riders over the 2 yrs. eagles nest was great, food excellent ( but dependent on your chalet hosts). 1st year we had Ash leading our group. Excellent trails, & some punishing descents. 2nd yr guides not quite as good: best ones had been used for destination X.

Yr after we went Whistler & then Chatel this summer. Whistler ruined us; the bike parks in PDS come a very poor 2nd and our guide didn’t cut the mustard compared to TA. Also natural trails in Les Arcs/La Plagne much better. Next time we go to Alps it won’t be PDS, more likely destination X, Les Arc, 2Alpes.

godzilla

Fun sound good, as long as i can get some steep sketchy in I’m a happy man

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@godzilla – got it. The guided holiday will give you a “bike park day” to warm up then it will be technical riding on paths/trails rocks, roots, steep stuff and fast n swoopy. So if you like more like Col du Coux or Les Gets Samoens. Also much less crowded, more of a big moutain feel. You’ll get an off day midweek so can do more bike park if you want. I’d say give it a try (with either company) you’ll not regret it. Book soon as last year White Room sold out very quickly (all gone by Jan/Feb?). Try and practice switchbacks too 😉

EDIT: @godzilla – be careful about telling TA you want steep and sketchy, they may scare the *** out of you by giving you exactly their version of that !!!

godzilla

For me the Col de cou, through the mill and the cheeky Champery trails where stand outs.
    Been practicing greasy switchbacks on an uplift day at Hamsterly today 😀 we are all pretty handy and competitive trial riders so tight steep are in our skill set, i’d rather have the s**t scared out of me than feel unchallenged.
    It’s going to be painful 8 month wait.
    Cheers for the input guys, much appreciated, i’ve just hit the ok button.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve not been with Trailaddiction, a mate did and raved… Been out with White Room twice so ridden some of the same trails, I really like Les Arcs but it seems a shame to be so near to La Thuile and not visit, it is incredibly good.

mikeep

Never been with TA but have had two year with Bikevillage – http://www.bikevillage.co.uk

Great, great times…..

godzilla

There seem to be lots of highly regarded company’s in that area and I’m a little overwhelmed by the choice.
    First world problems, which highly regarded Alpine holiday lol.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

From what I’ve read and research I’ve done WhiteRoom is a bit more varied trails / location wise getting out and about a bit more. There is so much in Les Arcs that TA don’t need to venture so far and it’s more ski lift orintated rather than van uplift.

Of 10 days out there the stuff in Les Arcs resort was probably my least favourite trails (they were still great) the area is huge and worth an explore.

ndthornton

+1 for destination X
    Superb- faultless for me

godzilla

Booked up with The white room in the end, very excited.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trail addiction?’ is closed to new replies.