Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar owners to the forum…
  • matt_outandabout

We are starting to shop for one of these. Likely a crew cab.
    I need to get 5 of us in, and 5 bikes + holiday kit…
    1. Is the factory crew cab as far forward as it looks? Seems from pics that there is not much leg space, but there is acres of boot…
    2. Can you get crew seats like some of the Caravelles / our local community minibus that has ‘tracks’ on the floor for the seats to slide back and forth.
    3. Can you get 5 bikes in front to back, I presume missing front wheels (LWB or SWB)? – Pics if you can.
    4. Has anyone built a high level shelf on removavle/moveable brackets above the bikes as ‘boot’ space..?
    5. I was thinking of even mounting some clamp arms in the back to assist with speed of putting in – mrs_oab will have to do it with the kids occasionally, and I think it would be easier…anyone any experience of this?
    6. Any good ones to look for – e.g. there was a supplier of ex RAC T4’s…less thrashed than minicabs or postie wagons…

matt_outandabout

oh, and can I get them with captains chairs in as factory fit? (7) 😉

philbert31
    Free Member

I have a 59 plate vivaro, cracking vans but dont buy anything older than a 56, there were a lot of problems with gearboxes, can get very expensive. they sorted it with the facelift model though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Google is working quicker than you lot…
    This x5 – is it possible?

druidh
    Free Member

Matt – with a LWB you’ll do 5+5. I had a loan of a crew cab for IOM E2E last year and we managed 6 + 6 – all adults. Legroom isn’t as bad as it looks. However, I prefer a fully open load space with removable seats. I’ll try to arrange for you to see mine.

mattbee

Ex AA vans for sale

That place has loads atm. I’m still pondering one of these & change or a VW t5…

transapp
    Free Member

One thing to really, really look out for is gearboxes. They are a pile of shite. I used to run a factory that remanufactured them for GM. Utterly appaling and our reman ones sold for £700, that’d be x3 plus fitting if you walked into Vauxhall, plus Renault (the oem) don’t release parts so some are completely unrepearable!

matt_outandabout

Reading up, it seems gearbox’s were sorted past 04 model…

transapp
    Free Member

Not sure about that. Still a massive demand for more recent ones from GM which implies there’s a problem. Oddly I never knew the exact vehicle each model went into though so I can’t say for certain.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Our Trafic was on 230,000km when it got totalled by a snow-plough. No hassles with it at all.

Went straight out and bought a new one! The extra 15bhp and the smoother steps between gears do make a difference on the new one.

Ours is a 9-seat minibus. Will the back row of seats folded, it’ll do 6 people + 6 bikes with wheels off.

martinxyz
    Free Member

was planning one from a guy I know. It’s 2005 with around 80k. I would consider myself easy on gear boxes but it still scares me!

crazy-legs

I’ve driven the works Vivaro a fair bit – 58 reg with about 34000 miles on the clock, work has had it since new. Fine to drive (very car-like), it’s just the basic spec one (3 seats, panel van, SWB) but it was enough for me to seriously consider buying it when my old car got written off – long term ideas of converting it.

In the end I knew that I’d never get round to doing anything decent with it and I bought another estate car.

It’s a great van though, it’s been 100% reliable.

matt_outandabout

Ours is a 9-seat minibus. Will the back row of seats folded, it’ll do 6 people + 6 bikes with wheels off.

That is good to hear, as that is an option. BUT, trying to work out if crew van is likely to be more or less abused than our minibuses at work…

P20

Pulls up a chair as I’m interested….
    Slight hijack….rough mpg?

totalshell

my neighbour and i both have 04/ o5 trafics.. both with 80k on
    he’s just sold his having had a clutch that even the main dealer could nt repair he’s had new heater plugs well 3 as the 4th would nt come out and new injectors.
    mines had both the diesel pumps replaced new rear discs ( the bearings are an integral part of the disc) new keys, new wiring loom, new power steering pump, the dash board warning lights are on virtually permanently, the window winding knobs drop off, the seat covers are made of tissue paper,

on the other hand its a great motorway car rolls along at 70 in sixth, fuel isnt to bad about early 30’s in town 40 on the m-way.

get the mrs and yourself to have a test drive before commiting as my other half cannot use it as she feels physically sick whilst on the passenger seats..

PePPeR

I run a sport van 115bhp, as a panel van for work, I love the thing, cheaper and better equipped than an equivalent Transit but do depreciate far more rapidly!

It’s comfortable, rapid and economical, I average about 36mpg fully loaded.

I’ve considered buying a crew van for my own running around.

druidh
    Free Member

I normally get around 40mpg – very little town driving though (I have a bike for that). Just checked current mpg and it’s saying 43.3. That’s mostly a trip from the Burg to Lairg.

matt_outandabout

The Touran only does @45 on average, with bikes on roof and back it does 30ish…. 😕

therag
    Free Member

07 plate swb vivaro here, now on 93k. I’ve had a window fitted in side door (£200) and fitted a double seat with built in belts from a ldv mini bus (£30). It comfortably seats 5 people, 5 bikes fully built and everything we need for a boys trip to the alps.
    I also use it as an every day car. 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog.
    I fitted the seats behind drivers seat, only problem being the fuel tank had to be lowered to get two of the washers and nuts on.
    It was the 80bhp model which is very sluggish, so it’s now remapped to 120bhp. Don’t know mpg but does 500 miles to £100 of derv. @ £1.38pl
    once the bikes are in I slide a sheet of ply onto batterns on the sides of van which holds spare wheels and sleeping bags.
    I just wish I could have found one with the electric pack.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Meant to add – mine is LWB.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar owners to the forum…’ is closed to new replies.