Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trafalgar Square this morning – lots of police
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

They seemed to be pulling quite large numbers of cyclists over while they were stopped at the lights, rather than the usual "You coasted across this unused pedestrian crossing at walking speed without checking we were here, sunshine!" crap that they usually do on The Mall. There were several riders with cameras, I don't know whether they were affiliated with The Law or keeping an eye on them.

Did anyone get stopped or have any idea what they wanted with us this fine morning?

brooess
    Free Member

If they're clamping down on illegal cycling manoeuvres then I say good. Way too may London cyclists sailing across zebra crossings, red lights, up pavements etc etc which will do huge damage to all the positive PR being worked on by CTC, Boris, Sustrans and sensible cyclists etc etc
    Girl I work with got knocked off her bike last year by a motorbike, concussed and won damages (so law says not her fault) but she still rides thru red lights. Clearly has learnt nothing about her vulnerability on the road 🙁

BigDummy
    Free Member

What they seemed to be doing this morning was pulling over people who were stopped. The square was very congested and there was a lot of filtering going on, but they definitely weren't copping people who had just jumped a light. They may have seen them jump a light earlier I suppose, but it definitely wasn't the usual MO. I wondered if they were checking people's bikes or something.

Broadly agree about RLJs generally, although the very occasional but ludicrously heavy-handed policing of it irritates me rather.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

Lunch bump. Still curious about what was going on. 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

Possibly related to the motorcyclist thing?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12696257

Talkemada
    Free Member

Probably checking for terrorists…

Sounds like the usual occasional high-profile media opportunity type thing they do from time to time. It'll probably be on the Lunchtime and 6 o'clock news, with messages about 'safer cycling' and that.

It's probably ultimately well-meaning, but fairly futile and ineffective, in the long run. Perhaps a regular TV ad or similar would have more impact over time.

Still, the Met have to do something to show that they are 'doing their jobs' I suppose… 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

which will do huge damage to all the positive PR being worked on by CTC, Boris, Sustrans and sensible cyclists etc etc

Boris does enough damage to the image of cycling all on his own…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks Aidy, that's interesting.

thomthumb
    Free Member

they did it in southampton recently;

stopped people with no hi vis stuff.

were giving out hi vis jacketsd and hump bag covers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trafalgar Square this morning – lots of police’ is closed to new replies.