Tradesmen – WTF?

Home Forum Chat Forum Tradesmen – WTF?

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Tradesmen – WTF?
  • waller

Normally a decent tiler would charge per square meter….. Just in my experience….

johndoh

All I got was a text with a total estimate and several conversations around how it was very likely to change if they found any problems.

I think I had a narrow escape.

johndoh

Basically it was going to cost £8.5k for a small en-suite with modest quality fittings!

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Looks like you dodged a bullet. Shop around for quotes and save yourself a packet. It’s an en-suite, hardly the most urgent job in the world.

How many quotes did you get before accepting this guy .??

acidchunks

The two chaps who tiled my gf’s bathroom charged £600 and did a pretty decent job.

That’s floor to ceiling and the room is at least 50% larger than your ensuite.

Have you got a written quotation with a breakdown of what hes going to do,
    And what hes not going to do.

cozz

blimey, you joking

£2500 for refit plus £2300 for tiling?

had mine done bigger than the room you state, bought the suite, tiles adhesive etc

a builder I know and his mate (tiler)

went on holiday for 4 days, came back all done about £800 – take out the old suite, install new one, and tile all 4 walls, excluding walls

Spin

What amazes me when dealing with tradesmen is how many just don’t bother their arses to turn up as arranged. Can’t be that desperate for the work then.

That and not tidying up after themselves. I’m not expecting them to hoover or owt just put off cuts in the bin.

project

Tiles are so old fashioned now, you need palstic cladding all hygenic ,wipe claena and easily replaced when you leave, by the new owner who doesnt like your tiles.

rudebwoy

jeez– hard to beleive those prices!– he was going to skin you !

Premier Icon totalshell
    Subscriber

couple of lessons here.. 1 its the school holidays.. 2 during those school holidays schools are closed, most have some plumbing work completed during that period ( rochdale for example has one firm taking on 25 of the towns finest plumbers for the duration..)
    3 the quote you ve been given is artificially high so they wouldnt get the job.. tilers up to 45 per sq meter not inc. materials, jobs are always per sq metre..
    £25 per hour is too little for a plumber over a year 365 days that would probably see him on less than 15k and for self employment that is too little to support a family/home/business

as for the tradesmen.. how about customers.. an appointment was booked for tues 9am nxt week. got a call today friday at 2 ” my dads got the new taps, wont take a minute to fit can you be within 30 mins as were going away for a fortnight..”

so basically the plumber and tiler want 2.5k each for a weeks work??

basic man maths make that £120,000 a year gross
    or £100,000 if you deduct some holiday

how much does a brain surgeon earn?

sounds like you need another quote
    200-250 a day sounds about right to me

discuss……

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

£25 per hour is too little for a plumber over a year 365 days that would probably see him on less than 15k and for self employment that is too little to support a family/home/business

Are you sure about that? Quick sum makes that £48k pre tax assuming 40hr week.

Anyway , price was way over the odds. Find someone else .

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

My 10′ x 6′ bathroom tiled floor to ceiling and floor, plus fitting of new suite and associated plumbing only cost £1150 for a really good job! Your chaps were taking the piss.

wrightyson

Yes we’re all knobbers! Ask darcey!

Mikeypies

25 per hour is too little for a plumber over a year 365 days that would probably see him on less than 15k

not sure how that works out to be less than 15k

Jamie

Yes we’re all knobbers! Ask darcey!

I don’t need to ask Darcy anything to know he is a knobber.

Junkyard

only 600 hours work per year Gross though.
    20 hours a week for 30 weeks for example

Its no wonder they give such absurd quotes 😉

chewkw

I want to be a plumber … 😆

You have a lucky escape and as for that “someone” I bet he is a conman.

b r

Are you sure about that? Quick sum makes that £48k pre tax assuming 40hr week.

When you are self-employed you don’t get paid for every hour of the week, only the hours you get work… And that is pre tax, NI (employee and employer), van costs, tools, down-time, holidays, sick etc etc.

johndoh

Is it just me but…

Got someone (and his plumber mate) to start an en-suite refit on Monday. We are supplying (at his request) all the sanitaryware, lights, tiles etc.

The room is 1.7m x 1.2m.

The fit is a shower, loo, basin and radiator.

On top of that is a pressurised hot water tank.

Their costs (excluding sparky) are £2500 for plumbing (inc the HWT), tiling etc is £2300 – he said it would take a week and said he charged £25 ph so I have no idea where he got the rest from – we were buying most of the goods apart from adhesives and other bits n bobs to complete the job)

This meant the job was coming in way over our budget so I rang the guy today, told him about some changes we’d made (to try to get cost down and they were direct labour costs).

He texted me tonight saying he wasn’t prepared to reduce his cost (even though we told him of changes that would reduce his time on the project) and told us to do one basically – now we haven’t got anyone starting the job on Monday!

Well annoyed.

(I thought the plumbing costs were fair, the tiling/fitting costs extortionate).

johndoh

Glad everyone thinks the same – I dodged that one.

I didn’t shop around as he came recommended. And yes, we are now shopping around and not rushing.

johndoh

Btw – the plumber did include the supply and fit of a pressurised hot water tank too

paulo6624

We had a bathroom fit sink bath toilet, plastered tiled shower door etc all done for £800 no tank though and have no idea what that would cost but 5k seems ludicrous

That quote price is taking a piss.. Walk Away

5thElefant

I had the plumbing rerouted, radiators added and removed and underfloor heating installed for less than £2.5K.

Paying somebody to tile your bathroom is beyond my comprehension.

Totalshell I think you better get yer calculator back out.

Edric 64

£25 per hour sounds about right .Just because you may not get work all day every week doesnt mean overcharging those you do work for

rickt

£200 a day max for a plumber. That’s the max I would pay regardless of the tasks they were doing

All that guy has done is quote you prices for a job he does not want to do, therefore he’s priced it to make it worth his while and out other easier jobs off

qwerty

We had our bathroom of a similar size tiled (we supplied tiles, adhesive & I’d tanked it) for £100 cash, this included the bath/shower area and one line of tiles as a sink splash back.
    Go to your local independant tile trader and get some recommendations from them.
    Tops tiles accept Tesco points.

scousebri

When i carry out a quote on a lob i will always give a break down of costs. You must remember though that this will be an estimated cost, there is always the chance of problems and that will lead to increast costs for the client. I will always try to give the client the cheapest alternitive if there are any problems. In the past i have carried out work due to unforseen problems at no extra cost. If i don’t want to do a job i will always say i’m fully booked and recommend another trades man. If you go over pricing jobs because you cba then it will effect your bussiness in the long run.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Having a similar small bathroom, I retiled it in a couple of days and I’m by no means an experienced tiler! So I’d say he was ripping you off completely. If the walls are flat, tiling really isn’t that hard, you just need a decent tile cutter (mine was £40 from screw fix) which makes the cuts really quick and easy.

My parents had their entire central heating replaced including new boiler and most rads for £3k about 6 months ago. Including all making good and moving the position of the boiler. £2.5k to fit a water tank, a rad and the associated pipe work seems a little steep to me.

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Had our bathroom (roughly 6′ by 9′) gutted, replastered, new flooring, decorated, partially tiles and a new shower fitted for around £700 (we provided fixtures and fittings, materials etc).

Your quote does sound a tad on the heavy side…

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

scousebri – Member
    When i carry out a quote on a lob i will always give a break down of costs. You must remember though that this will be an estimated cost, there is always the chance of problems and that will lead to increast costs for the client. I will always try to give the client the cheapest alternitive if there are any problems. In the past i have carried out work due to unforseen problems at no extra cost. If i don’t want to do a job i will always say i’m fully booked and recommend another trades man. If you go over pricing jobs because you cba then it will effect your bussiness in the long run.

Straightforward approach that works for everyone. Fair and clear!

deviant

I had dolphin bathrooms quote me £22,000 for mine!…no joke.
    The salesman then said he could get it down to £8,000 on the day….still not good enough.

Contacted a plumber and he did the install for a grand then contacted a decorator who did the finishing, tiling and painting for another grand…. 2k all in, much better.

Shop around!

Those are Knightsbridge prices! Where are you?

😯

johndoh

Harrogate.

A bit like Knightsbridge with Yorkshire accents.

Anyway, decided not to rush into anything else – will strip out existing bathroom myself and then get someone in later to do the refit after we have shopped around a bit more.

globalti

Tiles are so old-fashioned and the grout goes mildewey, no matter how good the quality of the grout.

Mermaid shower boards for me every time.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Tradesmen – WTF?’ is closed to new replies.