Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • tradesmen letting you down. **** ?
  • ton

stayed in yesterday morning waiting for a tradesman to come and service my central hearing boiler.
    spoke to the bloke twice prior, to arrange it and to tell him what make it was.

come 10am yesterday, no show. 11am , no show.
    so i rang him, phone off. i rang him at 11.30 phone rang, no answer.
    so i left him a delightful message, using a few choice words.
    by this time, i had my gander up, so when on his face book page. telling folk about my non service provided by him.

do blokes like this deserve to go out of business?

kayak23

Maybe there’s a reason?

drew27
    Free Member

I had heard that his dog died that morning.

piemonster

There probably was a reason.

Doesn’t mean it’s a good one.

ton

if you were a tradesman who could not get to appointments, would it be wise to leave a message on your phone explaining the reason you wont be attending the appointments.

doris5000

it’s surprisingly common! got completely stood up a couple of times this year – one of them apologised a few days later, the other i just never heard from again. Particularly annoying when you’ve stayed home from work to wait for them. Another guy came round to look at a job, said it would be in the region of 10K and that he’d send me a quote in the next few days. Never heard from him again.

I guess they must either have so much work they don’t need it, or they’re all completely minted…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s a big problem in the private side of our work and I can understand peoples frustrations. Unfortunately a lot get away with it regularly as there genuinely isnt enough labour to go round in a lot of trades at the minute.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve had it happen more often than not, usually after coming out to inspect the job. I’m pretty sure the last time I mentioned it someone on here said I was to blame as tradesmen hate working with people like me (seemingly because I know what I want).

Never left them abuse though, there are plenty of reasons why someone may have better things to do than phone every person they have an appointment with.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bum his dug.

Drac

Classy.

thenorthwind

An hour and a half after a missed appointment? :-O

Understand your frustration, but I’d be holding off making myself look like a **** for a while longer till I actually found out there wasn’t a good reason.

ajaj
    Free Member

We had the same thing a month or so ago. All very reminiscent of the times before the Polish plumbers displaced the lazy British workman.

ton

thing is, i work on a trade counter, and i sit and listen to trades bloke fobbing customers off on the phone, telling em blatant lies, or just cutting the call off.
    these very same trades blokes are the ones who fall out with you and take their business else where if you dont pander to their needs. that is business afterall.

moral of the story being, dont piss people off, or just do the job like you said you would. simple really.

mtbqwerty

I’ve had a few do that to me too…however I very much don’t feel the need insult them.

bearnecessities

It’s all a balance. Quality of work v timekeeping is a fine balance in my experience. If you want both, then get the wallet out.

Luckily I can afford to be relaxed on the timekeeping, so get the quality and just live with the sloppy reliability 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was to blame as tradesmen hate working with people like me (seemingly because I know what I want).

Actually, I’m to blame as the domestic market is the refuge of tradesmen* who hate working for people like me.**

*The ones who want to show up whenever they want, if at all, get fed in people’s houses, piss off home at half two because they “have another job to go to”, get paid cash on completion, don’t give a shit about repeat businesses and rarely have their work scrutinised by a professional.

** Professional scrutinisers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Definitely a gap in the market for other people to fill then..

Tradespeople who don’t call to let you know they’re late/not coming/never returning aren’t really worth handing over your hard earned cash to.

And the cash in hand stuff, well… It’s been like that for years ain’t it. It works both ways though… “quote incl VAT and through the books = 30% more” or “cash only, no through the books = 30% less” and invariably the punter wants the cheaper option.. so it’s a win win innit. Can’t complain if you pay by cash and the Govt don’t get their cut can you.

Either way, it’s a whole load of wasted time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I know how you feel Ton, had a tiler booked in for 4 weeks to do a job then he put it back 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks then said he didn’t actually have time at all. For some reason he wasn’t happy when I gave him crap feedback on Checkatrade (or whatever it was).
    Shower went of in my tenants house, had a local guy come round who said what the problem was & that he’d be round the following week to fix it. That was 18 months ago & I’m still waiting. Got someone else & told him what the 1st guy had said was the problem. ‘Yes well I need to check it myself’ (fair enough) he came a week later & said it was something else so I told him just to crack on & do it as my tenant had been without a shower for 3 weeks. He sent me a call out invoice for £40 & I said I’d pay it all once he’d done the job. He asked me to pay beforehand so I did & I’m still waiting for him to come & sort it out.*
    *Well not really cos after ringing him numerous times with no reply or return call I got a 3rd guy who finally sorted it.
    The only reason he’d have an excuse for not calling you is if either he’d died or he had a death in the family.
    Can’t fault you for giving him a gobful

chewkw
    Free Member

👍 I like. 😀

I mean how hard it is to let your potential customer know you cannot make it because you just saw a flying pig?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well one thing’s now guaranteed. He’s not servicing your boiler.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well one thing’s now guaranteed. He’s not servicing your boiler.

Find someone else? I bet there more tradesman around that is honest and qualified?

outofbreath
    Free Member

All very reminiscent of the times before the Polish plumbers displaced the lazy British workman.

This. I’ve had zero problem with no shows since the Eastern Europeans turned up. Conscientious, fast, reliable & treat my house with respect.

“quote incl VAT and through the books = 30% more” or “cash only, no through the books = 30% less”

That’s freaky, I had a quote this weekend on exactly those terms. I can honestly say having bought a fixer-upper house that’s involved a ton of tradesmen this firm was the first to offer a discount for cash and it was 30%. Why 30%? They’re taking all the risk by skipping the tax don’t they want a cut of the savings? Also it wasn’t a small firm, surely once you get to ~10FTEs working for cash doesn’t make sense?

redmex
    Free Member

Don’t just blame the building trade, i went to 4 vehicle repairers, need a small white bolt on wing, inch wee dent on the door a headlight and two bits of plastic trim. Only one let me know and he was just shy of £1500, the others seemed keen as in their words straightforward Transit repair. Im sure the wing comes no need to paint

benv
    Free Member

Sadly for some, there are too many little old ladies out there to be ripped off to be bothered with actually having to turn up somewhere on time and do a proper job.

That’s a wide generalistaion of course, there are lots of great tradepeople out there providing great service and value for money. Unfortunately they’re the ones that tend to be booked up months in advance so if you need someone out in a hurry you’re stuck playing cowboy roulette.

Best to learn to do things yourself until as a country we get out of the mindset of sending all our young people to univeristy in order to exploit them, and get a lot more of them into trade apprenticeships.

chewkw
    Free Member

One thing I find surprising in the west is the popularity of DIY shops.

In the far east only tradesmen visit DIY shops or sadistic hobbyists because we have many trademens around who charge reasonably. Yes, we have cowboys too and one of them was our neighbour who was a tradesman who fleeced us for a three grands. The wife apologised later on but we did not recover any of our cash as he gambled them all away. Lucky for him we are nice people.

Best to learn to do things yourself until as a country we get out of the mindset of sending all our young people to univeristy in order to exploit them, and get a lot more of them into trade apprenticeships.

Yes, but it is not glamorous working as tradesmen innit … they want to sit in nice office.

Me mate started as a tradesman then progressed to big projects … now he play golf …

wrightyson
    Free Member

We rarely have this drama on site. That’s probably because they aren’t one/two man bands, In fact come to think of it I do use a fabrication guy who is a one man affair, does my stainless handrails and other bits and Bob’s from time to time and hes a **** for delaying. Maybe it was time folk went to the bigger outfits but you’ll probably be paying more, with the vat always present as well, might not cost you another day off work though…

bikebouy
    Free Member

“quote incl VAT and through the books = 30% more” or “cash only, no through the books = 30% less”

That’s freaky, I had a quote this weekend on exactly those terms.

My Mrs owns a Property Renovation company in that there LunDun, it’s common business practice and also the “£25k up front, cash, to start the Job Mr XXX/YYY Mrs AAA/BBB” and that simple “policy” is pretty much the deal these days. It was 20% about 10years ago, but rates climbed when people started reporting building companies to the Immigration Service for employing “immigrants” and consequently builders said “well Mr XXX/YYY, it’s simple, I have to secure the workforce and you have to pay for it if you want the job done” And the punter wants the job done so they pay up front for it. My Mrs has been involved with some very famous and some very wealthy clients over the years, some you’d know, some you wouldn’t, and they’ve all done business by these unwritten “rules of the trade” SO, at every level people accept cash in hand deals.

There are plenty of very good “english” builders out there, but they’re too busy these days to quote for anything.. and you can’t blame them can you.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Never requested cash up front for a single job in 25 years. Rarely work for the public though.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Why 30%?
    20% income tax + 9% Nat insurance if your not a ltd company.
    Or thats what I paid on any income.

jam-bo

I’ve got the flip side. Guy turned up when he was supposed to, serviced the boiler, 6 weeks later still hasn’t sent an invoice despite being chased up several times.

ton

I’ve got the flip side. Guy turned up when he was supposed to, serviced the boiler, 6 weeks later still hasn’t sent an invoice despite being chased up several times.

I reckon that is because you have golden bollocks.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m the same. Had the boiler fixed weeks ago by a bloke that turned up on time and did the job that he said he would, and still no invoice.

I’ll chase him again and check to see if I too have precious metal goolies.

MrSmith
    Free Member

that’s tradesmen for you*.
    when i was having my kitchen done i just went out half an hour after the appointed time and had a coffee. you waste my time then i’m going to waste yours.

obviously if you are waiting for a boiler fix or water leak you can’t do that. in just about any other business you would lose customers but because of demand they get away with it.

*not all are like that but in my experience about 70-80% will not turn up and go off radar. Even if you tell them “i don’t mind if you are not going to make it today as one of the other jobs has issues or it means you can wrap up a job before coming to mine but just let me know so i don’t sit there waiting”

nick1962
    Free Member

Monday morning appointment for a tradesman?
    ton, surely you must know that many tradesmen love that 6+ pint feeling on a Sunday….but just don’t have your constitution.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I love these threads where 99% of people think we’re all crap, and the other 1% can’t believe it when one actually turns up on time and does the job he/she has quoted for.
    When you get served a bad meal at a restaurant do you then just post a thread saying ‘all restaurants are crap!!’

wwaswas

It’s good the swear filter doesn’t apply to the url.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Boilerman is excellent, turns up on time and sends proper quotes and invoices.  Electrician is just the same as is our builder.  The same can be said for the flat roofing company we used to replace our felt roof with GRP.  It has taken many years to find people I trust though.

However on the flip side the two companies that I tried to hire to install our wood burner were rubbish, one no show and no answer to calls and the other did such a crap job when he turned up I had to rip it all out and do it myself and the company that I hired to install our conservatory that then leaked were rubbish in sorting out the inevitable leaks and had to be chased continually.

MrSmith
    Free Member

When you get served a bad meal at a restaurant do you then just post a thread saying ‘all restaurants are crap!!’

in a thread about eating out or recommendations for restaurants you will get some reports of poor service or food. will be way less than reports of no-shows in a thread about tradesmen though.

why do you think they have a bad rep for not turning up? is it a myth started on the internet or based on peoples experiences?

doris5000

*not all are like that but in my experience about 70-80% will not turn up and go off radar.

I think you’re being a bit harsh here.

For me it’s only been 66% this year…..

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I love these threads where 99% of people think we’re all crap,

Unfortunately that is the experience of a lot of customers nowadays. Rare to find someone you can trust to come and do a good job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘tradesmen letting you down. **** ?’ is closed to new replies.