Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tractor oil confusion
  • andyl
    Free Member

We have a little Yanmar 165D we use for topping and rotavating on the farm when we can’t get contractors in. It’s in desparate need of a service so I have all the filters on order but a bit confused by oil so thought I would check the STW hive mind.

I need 2.2l for the engine
    9 litres for the transmission and hydraulics
    3 litres for the front axle.

Checking the Shell webiste I get 10w30 suggested for the engine and then some dedicated transmission oils for the others
    The Castol website suggests their multupurpose tractor oil for the engine and front axle but something specific for the tranmission
    Other sources suggest SAE 90 gear oil for the front etc etc

Checking the Castol multipurpose (MP) agritech oil it suggests it can be used for all parts of the tractor so a bit confused. Trying to avoid spending £100’s on different oils when I can just buy a 20l drum of a universal tractor oil.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what do the manufacturers of the tractor tell you to use ?

hols2
    Free Member

Trying to avoid spending £100’s on different oils when I can just buy a 20l drum of a universal tractor oil.

Cheaper than fixing a knackered transmission and diff though. As above, I would find out what the manufacturer recommends and use that.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Here is what I would do but it is a long long time ago since I worked on this kind of equipment.
    Standard diesel engine oil for the engine.
    Finger dip the axle but I reckon its ep90.
    Gearbox and hydraulics use the same oil as the casing acts as the hydraulic tank so use the multi tractor oil.

welshfarmer

Front axle will be an EP90 gear oil and the engine and back end will be a SUTO (super universal Tractor Oil) which will likely be a 10/30 multigrade with a package of additives for the hydraulics/gearbox. I would be very surprised if something that simple used a more complex gearbox/hydraulic oil in the backend.

giantmtb
    Free Member

Exactly as Bear said.

I’ve serviced mine this week.

5w30 in the engine and a generic transmission oil for the front axel, back axel and gear box. Back axel and gear box are all one. Mine took 20 ltrs.

duncancallum

Tractor oil is a badge for generic shit.

Like what bells is to scotch.

Use the proper stuff or PM me n I’ll see what our lubes chaps say

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tractor oil confusion’ is closed to new replies.