Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Traction with +tyres?
  • FOG

I had a very wet ride in Swaledale last week where I couldn’t get up small grassy hills because of wheel spin on sodden mud and grass. How much difference would+ tyres make? With 2.25s at around 25psi it didn’t matter whether you tried to spin in low gear or grind in a much higher gear, I just slithered to a sideways halt!

Northwind

Wet, longish grass is tricky- it’s very slick but also the fibres mean it’s hard for tyre knobbles to bite. Some tyres just can’t deal with it at all (my slant 6 that I loved was terrifying on wet grass, like riding on ice). So maybe instead of plus, a different tyre might do better?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, tread pattern, and also tyre compound, more of a factor than tyre size IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    roverpig

A plus-sized wheel lets you run lower pressures. Lower pressures means a larger contact patch, which in turn means more knobbles dig into the ground. So, yes, in theory, a plus-sized wheel might be better on a grassy slope. However, in practice there is so much difference between different tyres that the slight advantage of a plus-sized wheel probably gets lost in the noise here. For example, the plus-size WTB Trailblazer is comically useless in the wet and almost any normal-sized mud tyre would be a lot better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Traction with +tyres?’ is closed to new replies.