• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Trackpump for tubeless tyres.
  • tthew

First time I’ve ever failed to inflate tubeless tyres with a trackpump, but I’m blaming the freaking abysmal BBB piece of crap that I bought from the Chicken’s closing down sale. Only had it a few months, the greatest pleasure I had from it was lobbing in the wheelie bin.

So, what pump do I replace it with, that shifts plenty of air but it would be useful if it could go to 100psi for the road bike. (still need a new one even if I resort to using the airline at work this time)

I only use Presta valves, if that helps.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a Park Tools one. It leaks doing road tyre pressures.

Not terribly impressive.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My joe blow has been faultless, I’ve even wrapped it round the washing post (a rather stubborn uninflatable ignitor) restraightened it and it’s still working perfectly.

mrben100
    Free Member

Pik n Mix – Member
    My joe blow has been faultless, I’ve even wrapped it round the washing post (a rather stubborn uninflatable ignitor) restraightened it and it’s still working perfectly.

Tis what i use also.

scaled
    Free Member

I have a giant control tower 2 from the lbs. Nice bit of kit and they can get spares for it.

Lasted a couple if years and only just losing the anodising on the shaft bit

rewski
    Free Member

This on has extra wide barrel, ideal for tubeless

http://www.topeak.com/products/pumps/jb_mountain

Northwind

I had a Joe Blow Sport, it wasn’t very good for tubeless- low volume. The Mountain is probably better.

I use Blackburn Air Tower 2s, pretty cheap and nasty but they shift a lot of air. I counted it out, it takes about 1/3d as many strokes to inflate a tyre compared to the Sport.

spooky_b329

I’ve got the specialized one with triangle base that stops it falling over. All metal and seems really sturdy. Nice multihead as well.

euain

I have one of those and it’s great for MTB. I wouldn’t fancy it on a road tyre though.

Edit – too slow. I was referring to the wide one (JoeBlow Mountain) in rewski’s post.

soobalias
    Free Member

still using a rencompressor from the 80s

jairaj

Any of the Lezyne Dirt range of pumps. The dirt range is specifically for mountain bikes are are designed to be high volume pumps.

I have an older road type pump a friend has one of the newer high volume ones and it is noticeably easier to get tubeless tyres seated and inflated.

busydog
    Free Member

I’ve got the specialized one with triangle base

Same here and it delivers a higher volume of air than any pump I have tried over the years

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Specialized also do a high volume pump that they say is designed specifically for tubeless tyres .

tthew

Thanks gents, that’s given me some food for thought. Sounds like one of the MTB specific ones would be spot on for tubeless, but perhaps not quite high enough pressure for narrow tyres.

N+1 is probably applicable here. 😀
    (actually, N+2 as I currently have none!)

matther01
    Free Member

Joe Blow sport has been brilliant for me. Need a bit of prep with new tyres seating with a tube and swishing some stans around first…but after that, flawless.

Yak

Topeak Joe Blow Ace Track Pump claims to do both well with a double barrel set-up.

chris_db
    Free Member

I have a knackered old wheel that I inflate new tubeless tyres on with a tube for 24hrs before I fit it to my Flow EX. This gets rid of dinks in the bead from folding.

After that I use a Phaart track pump from On-One. It has a dual function valve and a good volume.

Chris

tthew

95 quid though !! 😯
    Bit spendy for a pump.

(edit – not the Pphart, the Ace one)

Yak

Bit spendy for a pump

that or you buy 2 separate pumps – 2 joe blows would be less, 2 lezynes, more than the ace.

TiRed

Topeak Joe Blow here. Had to replace the chuck eventually as it would slip off some valve stems. No problem with the new (non-Topeak) chuck.

jimbo9
    Free Member

Joe Blow Mountain Air – bought specifically for tubeless and not let me down yet. Had some success wit my older Joe Blow Sport, but it was 50/50 with some tyre/rim combo’s. The new one has so much volume it makes it a doddle.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Another vote for Joe Blow Mountain, seats tubeless in a couple of pumps.

Re:- pressure, it’s only good for around 70 psi.

BoardinBob

My Lezyne dirt drive gets them up but the gauge is crap. I got two tyres inflated on flow hoops last week without bothering with soapy liquid.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m also using a Joe Blow Mountain, which was bought after I ripped the body off the base off my ancient track pump during a furious pumping session. So far so good with the Joe Blow.

superfli
    Free Member

+1 for the JB Mountain. Pushes about 5psi into my 26″ tyres per stroke.

z1ppy

No mentioned the Ghetto tubeless inflator?

I like my Joe Blow (not sure which model) a lot but gave up on track pumps and bought a compressor for tubeless… much easier, though as per yesterday proved, not always successful!

tthew

No mentioned the Ghetto tubeless inflator?

Funnily enough I asked the bloke at work who looks after the fire sustem if he had any old extinguishers so I could make the posher version. Would still need a new pump to inflate that though.

z1ppy

Well then Joe Blow’s are ace, last for years and spare parts are available. Though I have been recently impressed by the “all metal” Lezyne ones, very well built.

stumpy01

Dunno what I did wrong, but I tried the ghetto inflator and it wouldn’t work at all.
    Think I had the whole technique a bit skew whiff to be honest.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of track pumps and never managed to seat tubeless with them, even with removable cores.

I just seat with CO2, deflate, add sealant and then pump with the track pump (CO2 + sealant doesn’t mix, apparently).

Generally though, I like the Joe Blow I’ve got. I’ve heard of issues with the valve though, but not had a problem myself. I prefer it to the other cheapie Halfords one I’ve got which I always whack my finger with the release lever when undoing it for some reason and then struggle to pull it off the valve.

warpcow
    Free Member

Another Topeak Air Tower here. Has worked everytime so far.

andyrm
    Free Member

I use a Bell Airace – about £14 from Asda. Have had it 3/4 years now, always works perfectly on tubeless setups. But then, a lot of the “what pump for tubeless” questions are actually related to badly done setups, not air volume of pump.

DanW
    Free Member

Just use an old cheapy Joe Blow

Normal stuff, does the tyre seat with a tube in, have you removed the valve core, proper rims and tyres, etc, etc???

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve used track pumps (Pedros and Lezyne) and a Lezyne Micro drive to seal USTs and never failed.
    (Except 1 Small Block 8 that wouldn’t seal (front did, not rear).)

Toasty

Another Joe Blow here, done stacks of tyres on it, usually don’t even bother removing the valve core. Had a few hideous ones that have required tons of foam and manic pumping (that couldn’t have sounded much worse), but they usually go up easily. Did some Butchers/Purgatory last weekend 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Lezyne Micro drive

Sorry, this is a light. Not suitable for pumping tyres. It was a Alloy Drive. 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Trackpump for tubeless tyres.’ is closed to new replies.