Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Tracking app for my Mrs
  • superjohn71
    Free Member

Long story short – last night my Mrs thought I might have been knocked off by bike and hurt. I wasn’t, it was some poor chap on a motorcycle, but like a knob I hadn’t realised how worried she was getting when I just ride off for hours at an end.

I’m sure there are apps that would allow her to track me, to see that I was still moving and not dead, so am looking for recommendations from STW.

It would need to play nice with Wahoo’s fitness app on Android, and she would need to be able to track me on her iPhone.

All advice welcome.

Mat

Get an iPhone and use find my friends? That’s what Mrs Mat and I use

andybrad

Mine tracks me on my Garmin.

It seems to have some kind of alarm whenever I stop at a pub.

submarined
    Free Member

You can share your location for either a set period of time, or indefinitely in Google maps. Dunno about iOS version compatibility.

I believe findmyfriends works on both.

superjohn71
    Free Member

Shifting to iPhone – Not an option for me I’m afraid. There is also the possibility that she might jump ship to Android next upgrade, so it will need to be cross platform.

I’ll look at Google maps location sharing, ta!

chrisdavids

Road Id app is excellent. I’ve used it on Android and iOS.

It sends a text with a link to a website which shows your location (at least your last location with a mobile signal) and route thus far. Doesn’t seem to use too much data or battery either.

ta11pau1

It would need to play nice with Wahoo’s fitness app on Android, and she would need to be able to track me on her iPhone.

I’m guessing by this, you use a wahoo bolt/elemnt computer?

They have a live tracking function, you’ll need it connected to your phone for data but the link gives them a webpage with distance covered, time, location and route history on a map, and so on.

You’ve already got the technology 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

https://www.mapmyride.com/app/android/

Available for iOS and Android.
    Runs alongside other apps.
    Enable tracking for live updates to your wife.

jrawarren

Life360 has an app for Android & iOS. Works well and the free option will do what you need.

dair86
    Free Member

We use Google maps by sharing our locations with each other. I can see where my wife is and she can see me.

This works well for finding me while out biking for example or I can see that she is still in her office and that I can wait a bit before putting the dinner on.

Iv explained this to someone at work and they see it as stalking. I see it as a way for my wife to see where I am. She isn’t that familiar with the Golfie so if I didn’t answer my phone and hadn’t moved in a while she can alert the authority’s Visa versa if she doesn’t come home at her usual 6pm a d not a answeing her phone by seeing that she is in the office I can assume that she has been held up at work or dragged into a meeting

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Lezyne GPS units have a good tracking facility when synced to your phone. Mine alerts OH to me beginning and ending a ride and she can log in and see where I am on her phone.

superjohn71
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions – I’ll look into them.

I’m not using a Wahoo bike computer, just the fitness app on my phone.

Selled
    Free Member

We also share our locations on Google maps permanently, but also with our children. We’ve also been accused of being stalkers etc but we’re all really happy with it. It’s got so many benefits, unless of course someone wants to lie about their whereabouts.

stof41
    Free Member

We use Life 360. Works a bit too well.

scaled
    Free Member

This works well for finding me while out biking for example or I can see that she is still in her office and that I can wait a bit before putting the dinner on.

How people had dinner on the table when their other halves got home before this tech is a genuine mystery to me.

stoddys
    Free Member

Iv been using WhatsApp lately share location live.

leffeboy

Google maps works but I like glympse as it seems to be kind to the battery. Just try a couple

edit: I just remembered that there 8s a google one where your wife can request your location but if you are ok you just decline it. If you are injured 9f course then she will see where your are. Seems to be best of both worlds

lunge

Strava beacon? I used to used it, seemed to work well

si77

Also buddy beacon on Viewranger app.

matt_outandabout

Google Trusted Contact.

richardkennerley

+1 for Strava Beacon here. Costs £1.50 a month I think

scotroutes

Google Maps Location Sharing.

I was already using it for work so setting it up for my Mrs was a no-brained. Relies on a data signal of course. If I’m likely to be somewhere without one I use a Spot Tracker.

kimbers

google trusted contacts app,

is what my wife uses when im solo night riding, well she usually just falls asleep

leffeboy

google trusted contacts app

Yep, that’s what I was thinking of

crazy-legs

WhatsApp location tracking.
    You can do either an instant “I’m here” pindrop (or a pindrop on a specified location, useful if you’re coordinating a meetup) or an actual live track on your location shared for 15 mins, 1hr or 8hrs (with the option to manually stop it at any time).

It only updates when the other person actually checks in on you so it doesn’t drain the battery. we use it on ride-leading so the guides can see where the other guides and groups are. I use it when riding or driving to family – it’s far easier than someone phoning or texting going “where are you??” and you having to stop to take a call or reply to a message. Useful for convoy driving as well (assuming there’s someone else there to do the looking-at-phone thing while the driver concentrates on the road…)

It works on individual or group contacts.

PJay
    Free Member

Some Garmin units have a Live Track option that allows tracking (and other data) to be viewed via the Garmin Connect App.

However, since it piggybacks onto a smartphone for the data connection I suppose that you might as well just use the phone.

wwaswas

Do you ever ride through areas with no phone signal?

I can imagine disappearing off the tracking for a long period would cause some concern too?

consider a Spot tracker if you o ‘off grid’ for mobile signal regularly.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

I use zenly on android and works well

bob_summers

Interested in this too. Used to disappear for 8 hours or so on the bike without a thought, but now I’m running I somehow perceive it more likely I’ll get lost/fall off a crag/keel over.

WhatsApp location tracking.

Mixed success on this. I send my intended route beforehand, then ‘check in’ whenever I stop for a bit, works fine as I am rarely without signal for any length of time. But the live tracking works for a bit then stops. This may be related to the phone (OP5) because the battery saving borks Strava, Connect etc., even when disabled for that app.

nbt

Already mentioned
    Strava Beacon
    WhatsApp
    Google Maps “share my location”

We use Glympse: https://glympse.com/

all these require a data connection. If you need something more, an STW forumite developed “HereIAm”, which will send a text when you reach a specified GPS location

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.themelisx.hereiam&hl=en

kcal

Glympse is what I’ve used to share location with son (Android) from my phone (iOS).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Iv explained this to someone at work and they see it as stalking.

Yeah, family Google my location users in my house. Again, stalker references, but my view is there’s nothing to hide so we’ll take the benefits. Kids take measure of comfort that they know where we are, and vice versa.

I also have here I am, but that’s mostly for just incase.

EDIT: although hereiam doesn’t work on Android 9… Since I’ve just tested it.

sandwicheater

Another +1 for Road ID

pedlad

glympse?

iamanobody
    Free Member

whatsapp send live loaction – choose ride duration

anono

Showing my age here, but my old blackberry had an tracking app which would could email my location every few mins or so, and also send an emergency text if my location hadn’t changed for 5 mins – not sure if there’s anything out there that does that?

slowoldman

It’s got so many benefits, unless of course someone wants to lie about their whereabouts.

If you want to cycle round to your mistress you can always turn the phone off.

johnnystorm

Google map locations. Doesn’t need to be set up or started, it’s already installed and they’ll email every so often to remind you it’s on in case you want to switch it off. Negligible battery use too.

zippykona

Find my android phone . Google knows where you are.

richmars

You can get standalone tracking devices from ebay. I got one to track team mates during a 24 hour race. You put a sim card in , and just send a text to it. You get a text back with the devices location (as a link to google earth) Worked fairly well, but you need a sim and contract for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Tracking app for my Mrs’ is closed to new replies.