Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Track tyres
  • molgrips
    Free Member

1) Do they all use tubular tyres?

2) What’s the difference in practical terms between tubs and normal tyres?

3) The Fuji track bike I liked comes with 23c tyres – isn’t that far too big for the track? The ones I rode the other day had tiny tyres pumped up to rock solid pressures.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Tubs feel so much nicer and I must admit I feel so much more secure as they don’t peel off the rim with a puncture. On the track I reckon they would be almost mandatory for the last reason.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

IIRC Hire bikes at Newport used to run 23c vittoria clinchers.

ourmaninthenorth

You can use clinchers or tubs, but like mattsccm says, they have two distinct advantages – they feel nice and, in the event of a puncture, they don’t peel off the rim like a clincher.

23c is often recommended at Manchester, and certainly the hire bikes have them.

My bike has a 19c tyre on the front (tub) – there’s not a lot to that, I can tell you…!

crazy-legs

I’ve always preferred clinchers, they’re far easier to deal with and the vast majority of people can’t tell the difference anyway!
    Presures around 120psi is normal for “general” use, racers sometimes run much higher in ultra narrow tubs.

pullfaces
    Free Member

Is it purely for the track?
    And if so what type? Indoor wooden or outdoor concrete.
    I ride regularily on an outdoor track in season (not winter) and use 23c clinchers. I have used 22c tubs in the past.
    Have also used both at Newport Velodrome.
    I had Tufo sealant in the tubs but am about to try some Vittoria sealant in some road tubs I have. No problem with the Tufo sealant just the lbs had Vittoria in.
    I have punctured clinchers on the track and seen many others have them and never seen a tyre roll off. I have seen a badly glued tub roll off on the road though.

If it’s your first track bike I would recommend 23c clinchers. No problems with fixing them if you puncture and more versatile if you want to use on the road or sell on.
    If you expect to compete then you can move onto tubs and huge pressures but still have old wheels as spare.
    48×15 gear for most track riding should suit you, although I need a 49×15 at least if I compete against the fast boys.

mattsccm
    Free Member

must admit that half the reason I use tubs on the road is that I have them and they are cheaper than clinchers, given that they appear attached to Campag record hubs and decent rims for beer money. Have had several pairs complete plus spare tubs for a tenner. No issue repairing although obviously not as fast as clinchers. Lots more robust IO reckon though. I use mine for off road riding, eg where the cross bike can go although on road tubs. Great for gravel as well with a fixed. Can’t have had many punctures recently as I know I have not patched on in the 9 years I have lived here. Find very narrow clinchers pop off although must admit they have been 19mm one. Nope tubs not for everyone but they have there points.

molgrips
    Free Member

This would be for indoor track probably, Newport, although I might consider using it at Maindy (outdoor ultra-smooth tarmac) if it came up. And it would be for racing too. I like the idea of tubs, and I don’t mind faffing with stuff if it’s good. I think I had 48×15 the other day and it was too low – rapidly spun out.

crazy-legs

Maindy (outdoor ultra-smooth tarmac)

They must have resurfaced Maindy since I last rode there, it was ultra-rough red concrete back in the day! Horrible surface, it had a few nasty bumps in it too.
    Indoors I reckon on about 49×15 or 50×15
    Outdoors a fraction lower.

molgrips
    Free Member

They must have resurfaced Maindy since I last rode there

They have, with the smoothest tarmac known to man – it’s lovely. They haven’t flattened out all the ups and downs tho – the biggest one is half way through the last corner – quite noticable and affects your cadence a fair bit 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Track tyres’ is closed to new replies.