Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tracing lost Garmin?
  • woody2000

I lost a Garmin unit last year, did a bit of searching locally but nothing turned up.  I haven’t removed it from my Garmin account so it’s still registered to me (if that’s how it works).  I was looking at Garmin Connect a couple of days ago and noticed that the device was synced a couple of months ago.  Does this mean someone has tried to use it?  If someone synced it and it was registered to me does that flag it up to them?  Can I trace it somehow?

mariner
    Free Member

Dont know the answer to your question but mine has ‘belongs to’ and my phone number on the screen when it starts.

Trimix
    Free Member

You may be able to log on to Garmin connect and see where its being used. But it dosent send out a signal, it just receives.

You could email Garmin and tell them, if the new user (thief) uses it perhaps they can be informed
    that your tracking their every move 🙂

tomnavman
    Free Member

Dont know the answer to your question but mine has ‘belongs to’ and my phone number on the screen when it starts.

Thanks, didn’t know this was possible – now enabled on my 530

For anyone interested – https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=tySWKvTP8K554K5HVMSIW5

woody2000

Mine had the owner text set, it was obviously just picked up by someone who didn’t care (assuming that the sync time in my Connect account is correct and that someone else syncing it actually updates the sync time in my account)!

tomnavman
    Free Member

Have any of their rides synced to your Garmin connect account? Might give a work / home location?

I’d try contacting Garmin too – they might be able to block the serial number from synchronising to render it useless.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I lost mine in Wales somewhere, had owner details set with phone number, I also emailed Garmin with the serial number to tell them, but still someone appears to be syncing it online (this thread reminded me to check)

kd48

Thanks @tomnavman, I did not know that, start up screen modified.

teamslug

My mate lost a Garmin Edge 800 a few years ago. We weren’t sure where and had a quick double back but no luck. When we got home after the ride someone had left it on his doorstep with a contact number. They had followed the ride/route back to the start!!. Jolly decent of them.

yoshimi

Weird – literally just had the same experience myself this morning with an 810 I lost a couple of years back – been synced this week

woody2000

Weird – literally just had the same experience myself this morning with an 810 I lost a couple of years back – been synced this week

Hmm, now I’m wondering if it’s just some odd display glitch in Connect.  Probably worth an email to Garmin though I suspect they’ll just ignore it!

reluctantjumper

I lost an 800 in Chatel, suspected someone had swiped it off the bike in the queue for the bus in town. Emailed Garmin who could do nothing except block it from receiving updates. It had my whole holiday’s GPX files on it (went missing on the last day) and had my contact details and reward amount on the startup screen too. I set up a small segment from the chalet to the bus so that I could see if anyone uploaded the files from it and a week later someone uploaded it. Flagged it with Strava and Garmin who both did nothing. It still shows on my Garmin Connect page as in use and has been updated so letting them know was pointless. It’s in use by someone who regularly commutes across Morzine going by their Strava profile even now.

Thankfully it was insured so I got an 810 to replace it but it still hurts that someone has profited from my loss.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

I found an Edge 1030 at the side of the road a couple of years ago. It didn’t have any contact details on the startup screen and I couldn’t work out a home location from the ride history but could tell it was well used with trips recorded in France and Spain. I contacted Garmin with my contact details and they contacted the owner so I was able to reunite her with it. She was so relieved to get it back that a few days later she sent me £50 of Evans vouchers. Karma circle complete!

akira

Yeah found a Garmin a few years back and contacted Garmin and they got hold of owner and they were reunited.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Slight hijack but does anyone know how to “improve” the alarm feature on a 530?

I’ve rarely used it as, it seems, the ride has to be ended before activating the alarm. Well, if I end the ride, I’m back at home and don’t need the alarm. I was hoping to activate the alarm mid-ride if I have to stop at a shop/cafe/pub and leave the bike un-attended…

Also, the alarm volume is pathetic. Is there a way of boosting the alarm and/or triggering a noisy alarm on your phone via Garmin Connect app?

There doesnt appear to be any configuration options on the 530 or in Garmin Connect but is there a ConnectIQ app for this???

mikertroid
    Free Member

Re Alarm,

I stop the ride, then hit top left button to get Sleep/Power Off/Alarm. Set alarm.

To disable, I normally do it from phone, then just hit bottom right button to restart ride.

jamiemcf

I’ve uploaded my phone number and

It’s only pain Jamie

To the start up screen

markgraylish
    Free Member

@mikertroid
    Yeah, I get that…I was hoping the alarm could be activated whilst the ride is just paused…

markgraylish
    Free Member

@jamiemcf
    Did you put your entire message on one line or does it span multiple lines in the startup.txt?

I suspect Garmin only support one line of text…

mikertroid
    Free Member

@markgraylish sorry, no can help on that one

jamiemcf

@mikertroid,
    I managed to get two lines of text on my 510

Garmin for singletrack

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tracing lost Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.