Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • TP-12 and counting… Training Content
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Been a while since we had a good old chat about interval training etc…

Got a 7 day mtb race coming up in just under 12 weeks… looking for a bit of inspiration, discussion, something to fill my empty day.

ourmaninthenorth

Chris Carmichael’s Time Crunched Cyclist.

Intervals
    Intervals
    Intervals

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve gone back up to 84kg, if that’s of interest.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Tabata Intervals, if you can do them 2 – 3 times a week for the next 12 weeks I would be very impressed, personally no other work out has made me feel quite so sick ever.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Already do some Tabata intervals.

3 times a week doesn’t sound unrealistic.
    Have in the past done tabata sessions followed by longer intervals after.

Why’s the weigt gone back up Mol?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Have in the past done tabata sessions followed by longer intervals after.

I’ve heard other people say this before, surely if the Tabata Protocol is strictly adhered to (i.e 100% effort)you should have nothing left in the tank to do any further work.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

If training for the T-P get in as many days with 1000m – 2000m of altitude gain as possible.

Remember all the timed stages are predominantly downhill. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kingtut… Possibly… although you stop, do something gentle for a bit and then recover enough to more intervals at a lower intensity??

Altitude gain is tricky where I live… hill reps at the Uffington White Horse might have to be on the agenda.

molgrips
    Free Member

I seem to be stuck, Yeti. Weight goes down if I don’t ride as much, and the riding that I do is not so good. If I ride more I need to eat more carbs and my riding improves, but my weight goes back to 84.

So far at least. This week should be uninterrupted cycling so we shall see.

surely if the Tabata Protocol is strictly adhered to (i.e 100% effort)you should have nothing left in the tank to do any further work

Disagree – that depends on your fitness profile. I can bury myself for a short time, then after a bit of a rest I can do more. It’s cos I’m an endurance athlete and I’m used to long rides.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molly… I’m inclined to think you should start ignoring the scales and think more about your waist measurement?

I monitor both… my weight has beeen pretty consistant a lb or 2 either side of 12 stone… my waist though has continued to drop.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah might be time for measurements or even calipers.

Plus our scales are well inaccurate.

Mrs Grips thinks my BF is dropping steadily.. however I can’t imagine I’d be much good as an MTBer weighing 84kg unless I was stupidly powerful, which would be very hard to achieve I think.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Intervals and hill reps ftw, and some squats/leg press etc at the gym which i suspect you might already do? If you can find someone to do hill reps with who is your speed ish, then you will get much more out of it – sandy and i attack each other on hill reps and by the time we are at the top, both of us are ready to puke! I’d not work that hard if i was on my own. Make sure you rest enough (!) and eat well too.

Weight goes down if I don’t ride as much, and the riding that I do is not so good. If I ride more I need to eat more carbs and my riding improves, but my weight goes back to 84

That was what i found, although my weight is a lot less! I’ve just decided to live with it and ride lots since its not actually doing me any harm. Except my thighs no longer fit into my size 8 shorts but its muscle from speedwork 😕

ourmaninthenorth

I can’t imagine I’d be much good as an MTBer weighing 84kg unless I was stupidly powerful, which would be very hard to achieve I think.

This is where genetics gets all of us.

I’ve got a lot of weight to lose – around 10kg – but I know I’ll never have the energy to develop any fitness if I try to do that AND get back on the bike more. So, I’m now working on the principle that fitness comes first and the weight can then gradually reduce.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Kingtut… Possibly… although you stop, do something gentle for a bit and then recover enough to more intervals at a lower intensity??

I guess so, but the benefits of Tabata is the short sharp workout that not only sends your cardiovascular system through the roof it also raises your metabolic rate for many hours afterwards, so there may be the possibility that any further training after the Tabata session would be a wasted effort.

Possibly.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mol.. I don’t think either you or I have the natural build to truly excel at cycling… my focus now is just gettin super fit… or becoming a Spartan, I’m not sure.

If your bodyfat is dropping you might just have to accept this and become a Spartan too.

ir12daveor – are you doing T-P??

molgrips
    Free Member

This is where genetics gets all of us

Someone show me a picture of a 13st elite MTBer.. or even pro roadie for that matter.

I don’t think either you or I have the natural build to truly excel at cycling

Perhaps, although this is depressing – I’m too old for any other form of competition. I once spoke to an Elite MTBer who was 78kg, this was somewhat encouraging. Not a chunky lad mind, just a few inches taller than most of them.

This might cheer you up tho:

92kg apparently. I think I know what my next bike purchase will be…

trickydisco
    Free Member

surely if the Tabata Protocol is strictly adhered to (i.e 100% effort)you should have nothing left in the tank to do any further work

100% agree

If anyone thinks tabata is easy and they can do more then they are a bare faced liar. 100% means 100%. 10 secs rest isn’t that much

I had a very good coach a few months to improve my fitness for racing this year. He slowly built up intervals over a period of time (he had me working on periodisation principles – base,build,speed,power etc)

You’d obviosuly have to work out your HR or power zones to do this but typical intervals for me were

10 min warm up
    10 x 1min l4* with 10 x 1 min l2
    10 min l2
    10 x 1min l4 with 10 x 1 min l2

then after a few weeks he’d notch it up to

10min warm up
    6 x 4min l4 with 6 x 2 min recovery

after weeks the interval period would increase and the recovery decrease.

There were a few other variations where I’d do 10 x 1min l4 with 10 x 1min l2 and then 30 mins L3 with 10 sec all out sprints every 2 mins. These were an absolute killer i can tell you

*l4 = level 4 HR for me which is 175

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – still taking all that maltodextin? Thats why your weight is not dropping. follow iDaves advice on that.

molgrips
    Free Member

follow iDaves advice on that

I am, to the letter. That advice includes maltodextrin or similar.

If anyone thinks tabata is easy and they can do more then they are a bare faced liar

I’m not saying it’s easy, I’m saying that no matter how battered you are, if it’s a short intense workout then you can have a rest and come back for more – unless you are very unfit.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If anyone thinks tabata is easy and they can do more then they are a bare faced liar. 100% means 100%. 10 secs rest isn’t that much

Never said it was easy, just that after a rest… I can do another exercise. I don’t do all this HR stuff… but I push myself in Tabata to the point I want to faint.

Mol – I’d say I have a track cyclists build… ain’t no way I’m getting into track riding except maybe to set a couple of PBs.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Someone show me a picture of a 13st elite MTBer.. or even pro roadie for that matter.

13stone roadie

trickydisco
    Free Member

I don’t do all this HR stuff.

I personally think that it helps loads training by heart rate. If you were developing an engine in a car to produce more hp surely you’d want to know how much power it produces 1st?

I made leaps in training through knowing what zones to train in. (obviously helped having a coach telling me what i needed to do and actually restricting training as i wanted to do more)

molgrips
    Free Member

TD who is that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

follow iDaves advice on that

I am, to the letter. That advice includes maltodextrin or similar.

~Well in the original thread on which we debated this he clearly said if you want to loose weight do not take all that maltodextrin and he has repeated it since. Low GI is a part of his theory is it not?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TeeJ… this is not an iDiet thread 👿

He can eat chocolate covered chip butties for all I care. As long as he does intervals before, after and during consumption.

Stick to the topic… like I always do 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye TSY – sorry.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Mol – I’d say I have a track cyclists build… ain’t no way I’m getting into track riding except maybe to set a couple of PBs.

Why not? I loved it and can’t wait to go again….why edinburgh has to have an outdoor track i don’t know, it must only be used a handful of times a year! 🙄

trickydisco
    Free Member

Fabian Cancellara – spartacus

Perhaps best time trial-rider ever.

Arc en ciel.svg 1st UCI Road World Championship Time Trial
    1st Overall Tour of Oman
    1st Paris–Roubaix
    1st Ronde van Vlaanderen
    1st E3 Prijs Vlaanderen
    1st Prologue Tour de Suisse
    1st Prologue (ITT) Tour de France
    1st Stage 19 (ITT) Tour de France
    1st Prologue Tour de Suisse
    1st Stage 9 (ITT) Tour de Suisse
    1st Prologue Tour de Luxembourg
    1st Stage 7 (ITT) Tirreno–Adriatico
    1st E3 Prijs Vlaanderen
    2nd Milan – San Remo
    2nd Paris–Roubaix
    3rd Ronde van Vlaanderen
    1st National Road Race Champion

molgrips
    Free Member

Well in the original thread on which we debated this he clearly said if you want to loose weight do not take all that maltodextrin and he has repeated it since. Low GI is a part of his theory is it not?

I can’t C+P out of the Google doc but it gives instructions for taking simple carbs during and after exercise. Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

ain’t no way I’m getting into track riding

Why not? It’s absolutely ace 🙂

And I’m taking it up when I get the chance so you could always try and beat me 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sorry TSY – I’ll go away after this one

Molgrips -But he said on the thread where we were debating your use of thousands of calories of maltodextrin a week that if you want to loose weight while training do not take all that maltodextrin.

this is why you are not loosing weight while training – because of the maltodextrin. its as simple as that.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DirtyG… I know you do… I just can’t see myself doing it. S’pose I shouldn’t knock it until I’ve tried it, but I’m guessing it’s a little serious for me.

Far more likely to get in triathlon and iron mans. Couple of people at my gym have qualified for world half iron man in Vegas… very inspiring.

TeeJ… don’t worry about it (as long as you start spelling ‘lose’ correctly). Keep going as long as you like… I’ll use it as inspiration for stamina training.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m interested to hear about the maltodextrin but i don’t want to get into a discussion about it. What thread was it on so i can go hunt?

Mol, i tried track on saturday for the first time. Ace doesn’t describe it! Can’t wait to go again. We got timed for half and full laps, standing starts and taught how to ride properly using the full track. Weird sensation riding above someone, or with someone riding above you!

Edit, TSY, funny, i could see you being very good at it. But i can see the appeal of IM and why you’d like that. Question is will you have time now what with your other interest? 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

But he said on the thread where we were debating your use of thousands of calories of maltodextrin a week that if you want to loose weight while training do not take all that maltodextrin

TJ I am taking less maltodextrin. I can’t believe you are telling me off based on someone else’s advice, and yet I am following their advice exactly. I don’t think you really read posts properly on here.

Oh and I’ve lost over a stone so far so something is working.

A few points:

1) You are not a coach
    2) I have spoken at length to a coach and I am following his advice
    3) You are not me and do not feel how my body responds to training and diet
    4) I have experimented with training load and carb intake in many ways – you have not.

So I cannot imagine why you think you are in any way qualified to talk about my training and diet plan.

trickydisco
    Free Member

So molgrips.. Have you eaten your words? 😉

That is indeed a 13st roadie and he’s very good at what he does.

apparently he lost weight but this reduced his power

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well, when Molly comes back we’re going to hit up the Reading or Cardiff track so we’ll see.

Haha hopefully… a new gym membership has been purchased…

What is Maltowhatever??

molgrips
    Free Member

So molgrips.. Have you eaten your words?

My words are not iDave compliant I’m afraid 🙂 I wasn’t trying to defy you to find one, I was genuinely interested to know if there are any and what kind of rider they are – climber, sprinter etc. That’ why I asked who it was so I could look him up.

DG – did you do any racing? I’ve been to a couple of club fun days and done one or two fun races and it was the most intense experience I’ve ever had on a bike. Talk about red mist. And I suppose that’s what it’s all about – if you want to really fight your opponents eyeball to eyeball, if you get a rush out of it, then it’s the best. If you just want to test yourself out on the road/in the hills then it’s probably not.

Yeti – we can do the outdoor tracks but I’d recommend Newport indoor for the real experience 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

Far more likely to get in triathlon and iron mans.

Tom Lowe is 87kg and a successful Ironman’ist, so depending on your build you don’t need to go too low for that either.

Molgrips – out of interest how much maltodextrin do you have a week?

philconsequence
    Free Member

how much does jedi weigh and is he a good rider? if you’re having fun, not hurting yourself or the people around you…. then you’re a good rider in my overly warm and fuzzy opinion 😀

surely ‘power to weight ratio’ is more important that weight itself with regards to timed competitions?

yeti i think you need some of “phils super intense training sessions” that i run from my house…. for every hill i climb at swinley you have to get up and down it 3 times before i hit the top. it’s the only medically proven way to improve.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil.. you are very right.. it’s all about the fun really. I have learnt that I can have more fun by being fitter though. You can ride further… you can ride quicker… you can ride more 🙂

Can I book myself into a Phillysupersexualuphiltraining session then please?

molgrips
    Free Member

if you’re having fun, not hurting yourself or the people around you…. then you’re a good rider in my overly warm and fuzzy opinion

Aw bless.. you don’t have the competitive gene, do you? 🙂

Phil.w – if I ride in (takes an hour each way), I have two scoops (about 50g of powder which is what, 35g carbs) each way. If I’ve done a really hard workout on the way home or feel under-fuelled I might have two scoops of recovery after.

Riding in 2-4 times a week.

Afaik this is as per the diet.

surely ‘power to weight ratio’ is more important that weight itself with regards to timed competitions?

Yes – but let’s say I want to achieve 5 w/kg at threshold to be fairly quick. To get the same effect as losing 4kg, which is what I might want to lose, I’d have to gain 20W, which seems to be rather difficult. Of course if I have 4kg spare lard I should be able to lose that AND gain 20W power. Extra muscle mass could be good, extra lard is not ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘TP-12 and counting… Training Content’ is closed to new replies.