Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Towel rail summer heater – What control?
  • jfletch
    Free Member

I’m having summer heating elements installed in the towel rails as they are fitted in the bathrooms as part of a renovation. Yay, no damp towels in the “summer”!

What method do others have to control theirs?

The standard thing seems to be to just have a switch outside the bathroom to flick the heating element on or off. This seems a bit basic to me as you have to remember to put it on before your shower/bath etc. Also it will just be heating by the time you are finished rather than having a dry towel waiting for you.

To me a timer seems the obvious thing but they don’t seem to be commonly available. Is there some reason for this? any recomendations for timers?

ta

craigxxl
    Free Member

Same as you but it has a built in rotary thermostat that you can lower the temperature so it doesn’t remove the skin of your fingers if you accidently touch it.

Like this

globalti
    Free Member

Beware – some heater elemnts don’t automatically switch off if the hot water comes on. We overheated and ruined an element by leaving it on with the CH on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Got the same issue here. The switch for our is outside the bathroom on the outside of a duct that I can access, so I’m thinking of putting a 13A socket onto the cable from the backside of the switch and then put a plug on the feed to the towel rail. I can then use a raspberry pi (already in the house and controls the electric heating) to wirelessly switch the rail on and off on a schedule.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Don’t think you’d have too many issues using a basic central heating timer.

I wonder if I can run one of these from the ligting circuit – there’s no other power near our bathroom 🙁

jfletch
    Free Member

I wonder if I can run one of these from the ligting circuit

I don’t think so. Our electrician said something I didn’t understand which seemed to imply they needed some special attention due to being in a bathroom and needing a decent amount of juice. might be wrong though.

rusty90
    Free Member

A heated towel rail? In summer? What’s up with you people?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Towel rail summer heater – What control?’ is closed to new replies.